Author Topic: How to RP a Trial in Yliakum.  (Read 2386 times)

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: How to RP a Trial in Yliakum.
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2006, 08:24:45 pm »
heh laws need laws to determine that .  . . .

I am suprised this issue has not caught more attention.

zhai

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2006, 11:31:50 am »
The Killer of the Sewers has been caught and placed into custody and now awaits for trial. It's time to decide the guidelines for this event. Here's a summary of what we've come up with so far:

The Actors:
- A jury of 6-8 people. Preferably respected characters in the community. There are many great characters who could fill in this position. Obviously they need to be lawful but I'm thinking we can accept volunteers and make a list of plenty and let them add to their description that they are "Ears of Justice". This would be an acknowledgement of their involvement in the game and also would prevent future complications looking for jurors. We can call for "Ears" ingame and whoever is on at the time could participate.

- A prosecutor or inquisitor. To flame the defendant and account all their crimes.

- A judge. To put order and let justice be made. I'm thinking any "Ear" could fill in this position as well if they are on when the trial takes place.

- The raging mod.

- The defendant.

- A defense attorney? This doesn't seem very medieval to me.

The Laws:
Settings do not mention any so we have to be very careful not to generate conflict (that's the purpose of this thread). We're charging the killer for multiple murders. Here are some ideas of what should also go to trial:

- Stealing large amount of trias or items of that worth.

- War crimes.

- Betraying the guild one is member of.

- Rape (?). Hasn't been RPed yet as far as I know but should be legislated.

- Adultery.

Other crimes could go under the "Right of Retribution", in which the victim can claim the right to mend their honor by dueling or having a champion of their choice duel the other party, by agreeing to a certain amount of trias or items in compensation or/and by accepting a public apology from the perpetrator of the crime.

The Punishments:
Execution seems an IC punishment suitable for the medieval context. A drastic, draconian way to apply justice. How the person found guilty would find death would be up to the judge. I suppose the prosecutor/inquisitor could ask for a certain punishment. And the defendant could also beg for mercy.

Something like tatooing the prisoner or cutting one of their ears and having them add that to their description could be interesting. The "bad" guys play an important role so we should be careful not to go OOC when it comes to the sentence, they are playing after all. They will have to disappear for a while, bare the marks of the trial so everyone would know what they did. However OOC punishments like "deleting" them or removing their items or ban them from the game is not fair (that would be punishing the player for their good roleplay).

We can RP that they are forced to drink from a potion or cut with a cursed blade that would prevent them to come back from the DR for a while (like Einnol said 2 moths IRL or so), add the markings of the trial to their description and let them die the way the judge decides. So far these are the ideas:

- Freefall from the eagle head.

- Feeding them to the ulbers in the crater.

- Zapping them with Energy Arrows (whenever PvP gets magic back on).

- Burning them alive with Flame Burst (ditto).

- Facing an executioner in a duel (unarmed and unprotected).

I hope to hear some more opinions before we start casting the roles for the first trial. I think it's better to do this OOC because supposedly this system isn't new. As an organized society  some people would already be involved with the judicial system. The trial of the Killer of the Sewers will probably be scheduled for this coming weekend. We don't have to limit it to only one case, if other criminals need trial we can perfectly do them together.
:: The Flaming Feather :: Lady of the Rangers ::

Kaerli

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2006, 12:30:46 pm »
1) What about murder?  Second-degree murder or manslaughter would be difficult to try in Yliakum, but murder in the first degree would definitely be a capital offense.  (Yliakum vs. the defendant again)
2) The threshold of the court considering thievery should be somewhere around 200-500 trias, but only if the victim presses charges.  (Marking the perpetrator for a long time would be appropriate for simple thieves)
3) War crimes = execution + banishment to the DR for a LOOOONGGGGGG time (basically Yliakum vs. the defendant)
4) Guild betrayal = marking for a long time or execution (only if charges are pressed though, a guild may choose to handle the situation internally)
5) Rape and adultery would both be capital crimes (either that, or mark the defendant for a long time)
6) Finally, we have accessory to a crime (marking for a decent period of time) and the "interference" charges (which include contempt of court and perjury and should result in marking of the perpetrator for a VERY long time)

I could be a juror or the executioness (if needed).  We'd also need someone to stand guard over the defendant.  As far as execution techniques go, the freefall from the eagle's head sounds like a good one, so does having someone cut down the executee with swords or axes.  Ulber feedings would be nice albeit not well suited for a public spectacle...don't want a rampaging Ulber ruining an otherwise perfect prosecution effort!

zhai

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 10:50:38 am »
Afterthoughts on the Trial of the Killer of the Sewers

As many of you know already, we had a trial yesterday. In my opinion it went pretty well and we had a very interesting RP around it. Of course this is all trial and error, so we may have missed a few things but overall, it was a great experience. Here's a summary of what was done:

How actors were involved:

- We held the trial at the Temple of Laanx.

- The jury was made up of 8 people who took seat in the pit at the center of the temple (using the 8 chairs there).

- The judge stood behind and above Sharven (the NPC standing in the pit).

- The prosecutor stood on the other side of the pit, facing the judge and jury.

- The defendant stood next to the judge.

- Expectators took sit around the pit, using the temple benches.

How the trial was presented:

- The prosecutor introduced the evindence in the form of exhibits and called up his witnesses to the stand.

- The jury (which acted more like a council of "elders"), interrogated the witnesses after they answered the prosecution's questions.

- The defendant was allowed to crossexamine the witnesses afterwards. He had no defense attorney.

- Objections were allowed. Maybe we went a bit too "modern" shouting "move to strike", "sustained", etc. in the heat of trial but it was fun... :whistling:

- After hearing all the testimonies, the jury would have gone to the inner shrine and decided the fate of the defendant. This didn't actually happen because the defendant attacked one of the witnesses and was struck down by Unar. He's now on the loose.

- Had we heard a "guilty" veredict, the judge would have decided the punishment for the prisoner. Maybe the jury can suggest a punishment as well, this we would have to agree on.

What could be improved

- We should have had better security :-[

- The trial, though interesting, may have been too long. We should try to make them a bit shorter in the future (for entertainment purposes only) if possible.

- Maybe we should try to use a judicial jargon more suited to the medieval context.

- No weapons should be allowed in trial except for those in the hands of security guards.

Again, overall, I think this RP went pretty well. Please feel free to add all your comments on the procedure for future trials. I want to thank all the volunteers and attendants for their time and respect for the event. :flowers:

Lomerandin

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 11:03:53 am »
In order to illustrate yesterday's trial, here's a slideshow on the main events.

Lornindol, improvised reporter  ::|
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 01:05:47 pm by Lomerandin »
Currently playing as Lornindol the Wayfarer and Wildan Alozza

For you French speakers  : Chroniques des Jours Anciens - Naturalistes, pas naturistes

Unar Cho-Sen

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2006, 06:59:30 pm »
Hehe Lomerandin that slideshow is hilarious :D

Well as far as the first Yliakumic trial went (Kaapio convicted of murder), there was only one additional actor, a defending lawyer. It was nice, too. But defendants can defend themselves if they wish, no?

Anyway, main purpose of my post, is to explore the validity of execution as a sentence - a topic close to my dark heart as Royal Executioner. Yes, people can come back from the DR, and it's not often going to temporary characters being charged who can simply be deleted. Still, death is still the most terrible thing that can happen to someone, and highly undesireable unless your RP is terrible or you're some kind of freak of nature. It's also humiliating, and could be made painful, such as a death by a thousand cuts, or death by flogging.

Moving right along, death can have whatever IC consequences are agreed OOC. As a bounty hunter, I became familiar with such arrangements. For example, a nasty client kills someone who's competing for a girl they have their sights on. The target is assassinated understanding they can no longer pursue that romance. Elsewhere, Sam is trying to get Bob killed. Bob hires me, Sam dies, and can no longer seek vengeance on Bob or rally people to do so. You take whatever is relevant for that RP, and make the death effective fo that. For example, Daehaz is executed and can no longer act in any way for the Collective. He'll certainly think twice about committing any more murders too after being put through those courts.

Cutting off theive's fingers and stuff like that could be fun too, if someone wanted to agree to RP their missing bits.
-
"I am not afraid."

Nilrem

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2006, 04:51:42 am »
First of all, I arrive a bit late to here, but, anyway, I must confess that the topic holds some wordings that make me loose track sometimes of what is being said, so perhaps the fact that I weren't able to post at the right time isn't very relevant. Still, I'll try to put here some thoughts that might come to mind.

In the first place, remark one thing. Even the fact that when you log in the game you see things incomplete (cities and terrains included) from a RP perspective, Yliakum society is complete. As we've Jefreca as one of the "leaders" (lack of correct word there) of the Hydlaa guards (I think he was the one, right?) and even if there isn't a mass of NPC acting as guards (completely unnecessary, under my point of view) it has to be assumed that this guard does indeed exist, and that is fairly large (as it is the city they're trying to keep safe) the same applies, I'd think to this case. Yliakum society is complex, even looking at the high ranks (were in medieval times this could simplify being the king the only one present there) here we've one octarch for each levels, plus the vigesimi, the creation of the inner and outern circle I think they were called... that is, even if the setting background is labeled as medieval, that doesn't mean that it has to copy our real history regarding medieval times. This is to apply for instance to the defender figure. This might sound a bit modern, but, if it's accepted I've no real problems with it, and obviously, there's always the chance of defending oneself, as Unar pointed.

One of the things that I saw perhaps more flawy was the suggestion of using some known character as a judge. Why I say this is simple. If Yliakum society is complete (that it is from RP POV) and complex (as proven by the structures of octarch+vigesimi) a city of the importance of Hydlaa cannot lack a judge. Therefore, there's no need for an "outern" character to take the role of a judge, since the judge already is there. Trully, perhaps there's no player playing a judge nowadays (at least, I'm not aware of any) and if there were, probably they'd have to be guarded by the Hydlaa guards to protect them from either assaults or money payments that would incline the balance (this might open some RP chances) with this, I am not saying that the judgement has to be assumed as done by a "fictional" judge that has to exist inside our minds, what I rather say is that, if the player isn't found, someone should create an alt (even if temporary) and roleplay the judge. Doing it putting a renowned char as a judge, would not be very good for roleplay ambience, under my point of view, since if that char is known, probably means that already is defined, and not as a judge. It could be shocking to see a hunter playing as a judge (despite how good hunter he/she can be) if we indeed assume that Yliakean society (and Hydlaa city in particular) has judgements to enforce the law, and thus, has devoted judges for that task.

Unfortunately now the shelf that held the book that talked about government in Yliakum is bugged, and doesn't hold the book anymore. Still, I do recall about one thing that may solve some doubts that have arosen in this thread. It's regarding death penalty. At first, it seemed as if there were doubts about if in Yliakum that penalty existed. It does. In that book (unfortunately uncheackable now) there was the reference of a chapter where an Octarch was sent, mounted on a Megara, towards the Azure sun, where it would burn to ashes (such is the believing that nothing can be near the azure sun, due to its high temperatures) the way of executing that octarch sounds a bit too melodramatic, I admit, and probably was to illustrate more the fact about the azure sun believing than anything else. Loosing a Megara in the process and being a way of killing that leaves no witnessess didn't seem to care much :P But anyway, the important fact is that death penalty indeed exists. Even more, without need of looking into that book, I recall the book that talks about the wells used to throw the corpses, in it there's a mentioning about throwing corpses on the central big hole, and that may end contaminating the lake (formed by the two bottom levels of the stalagmite) and that action's prosecuted and has death penalty. So yes, death penalty does exist. The way of executing that sentence, though, seems more logical the way you all mentioned than using the Megara, the use of arrows, or offensive spells, or hanging... probably the only required thing is that there are witnesses that the sentence is fullfilled.

About what things should be put on judgement. Well, if I might be a bit evil here, all of them that the "law defenders" are able to catch, before Ms. Revenge does. While the structure of Yliakian society isn't an absolute monarchy, it isn't a democracy neither (and even if it were) there are lots of chances that people decides to take justice on their own hands. Not only with robbery or rapes, but also with guild traitioning. This I just say to prevent any confusion on the players regarding that any non legal action, has to be judged in order to be solved. There will always be movements from under the law, but then again, this doesn't imply that no guard exists (although we all can roleplay that you succeeded in doing that "evil" action because of the tendancy of the Hydlaa guards to keep under high control the counter of the taverns)

The problem of any of this kind of roleplay scenarios is massification of people. There's always the risk of having too much chat going on, that might make things hard to follow, or, if able to follow, hard to interact, due to lack of space in the chat window, so to say. While surely some medieval judgements were chaotic, in all the senses of the word; seems that for a better experience of the players, this should be kept more ordered, with this I don't mean the characters talking one by one, and everyone acting as in presence of a deity. But limiting the numbers of the ones playing the trial. I wasn't there and then I cannot say if it went or not smoothly, but too many players can be hard to deal with, and probably the "town" should await outside the building to the final decision.

Building. To hold an event like this, there's indeed the need of having a building. Making it on the open camp and telling people to assume that aint open, but a building where the trial is going on might be tricky. Still, I do not see fit the chosing of Laanx temple, if that was indeed roleplayed as the place, and not selected as a normally empty building that fitted more or less the action (has chairs, almost always empty...) but then again, if the temple of Laanx really was meant to be the real location (and not only a skeleton for all to imagine the real building the action was taking place in) then I've to say that the choosing doesn't seem very nice. Specially since it has nothing to do with religion issues (perhaps if that was the case...) but would the priests allow to hold a trial between the very walls of the sacred temple? I doubt it.

wow... ok... I'll go ending :P In general good initiative to bring this to be roleplayed, and also good posting this here, not only to be known, but also to let players that were going to take place in the roleplay know about the settlements of the action. I do hope you all had fun during that event!
Are there any MoonSeekers left?

Peacer

• Veteran
  • I've got balls of steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2006, 06:00:33 am »

- We should have had better security :-[

Agreed... the same thing happened at the trial with kaapio

- Rape (?). Hasn't been RPed yet as far as I know but should be legislated.

shouldn't even be rp'ed...

- Freefall from the eagle head.

- Feeding them to the ulbers in the crater.

- Zapping them with Energy Arrows (whenever PvP gets magic back on).

- Burning them alive with Flame Burst (ditto).

- Facing an executioner in a duel (unarmed and unprotected).

Why only death sentences? this doesn't have to be "completely" after the medieval times... in the medieval times a man usually had more than one woman in marriage in yliakum they have one...

since the settings has the death realm into it a death sentence wouldn't really do much... a possible solution could be to make it harder for him to get out... they could throw him somewhere with hands on his back, wounded and making him sick... this could make the killer walk there for months, although it should have been talked ooc'ly how far the one rp'ing the killer would like to go in the punishment...

another thing could be public humiliation and work... cleaning the plaza from spit(go krook \o/), mud, dead bodies(giving discease, blood and more dirt which could be thought of.

- The trial, though interesting, may have been too long. We should try to make them a bit shorter in the future (for entertainment purposes only) if possible.

maybe it got boring because it was a bit goign in circles of what happened... giving the prosecuter and the defender usual angry moments against each other because they want their client to win (fistfight maybe) would give some life to the trial...

when asking a witness of what happened... the witness could try telling with feelings... with bodymovements really doing your story and putting some soul into it, like reading a good book...

My comments... hope they will help :)

the trial of kaapio:

5 jury members were there... i don't know how they did but it could have been done by voting... although i think they agreed

the judge kept order and everyone from talking into the mouth of oneanother

the witnesses were heard from each angle to answer questions to clear or confirm guilt.

improovements:
security
maybe the sued should getting transported in a cage
exitement into the trial (what i suggested before)

(i'll edit this post later to add the things i forgot... after i slept a couple of hours... as i'm very tired right now just waiting untill i can leave for the train)
The Guardians of Power

left the game, looking in now and then to check progress, if you want to contact me use the email attached to the msn contact on this forum account

zhai

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2006, 09:21:30 pm »
Thanks for the comments Nilrem. You've made many valid points, in my opinion. Now, let me comment on some of them:

(...) One of the things that I saw perhaps more flawy was the suggestion of using some known character as a judge. Why I say this is simple. If Yliakum society is complete (that it is from RP POV) and complex (as proven by the structures of octarch+vigesimi) a city of the importance of Hydlaa cannot lack a judge.(...)

True. It's only logic that some sort of judicial system exists. However, the current settings do not specify all the complexities we assume take place. So, yes, there should be judges and prosecutors and everything and hopefully sometime in the future we'll have more hints from devs as to how to implement this in our RP. Now, Sreamah did a great job as judge and I think that is a very nice gig to play... what we could do (I think I suggested this in a previous post) is give certain citizens who are respected by the community the status of "Ears of Justice" or something like that, which means they are the ones we can call when there's a trial.

(...) I do recall about one thing that may solve some doubts that have arosen in this thread. It's regarding death penalty. At first, it seemed as if there were doubts about if in Yliakum that penalty existed. It does. (...)

Yes. Death was contemplated as a very possible punishment. In order to give true value to the punishment, the person executed should not be able to return five minutes later. Some sort of exhile from the living world should take place. Maybe they could dwell in the DR for a few weeks. Now, this time should not be so long that it becomes an OOC punishment. Roleplaying evil characters is challenging and necessary for everyone's RP to be dynamic, we don't want to get rid of all evil guys. How boring would that be?

(...) While the structure of Yliakian society isn't an absolute monarchy, it isn't a democracy neither (and even if it were) there are lots of chances that people decides to take justice on their own hands. Not only with robbery or rapes, but also with guild traitioning. This I just say to prevent any confusion on the players regarding that any non legal action, has to be judged in order to be solved. There will always be movements from under the law, but then again, this doesn't imply that no guard exists (although we all can roleplay that you succeeded in doing that "evil" action because of the tendancy of the Hydlaa guards to keep under high control the counter of the taverns).(...)

I agree. Giving citizens the right to call for justice in a sort of "Right of Retribution", when it's proven that someone committed a crime against them would help keep trials to a reasonable number, instead of having one every week or so (which can wear out the idea).

(...) The problem of any of this kind of roleplay scenarios is massification of people. There's always the risk of having too much chat going on, that might make things hard to follow, or, if able to follow, hard to interact, due to lack of space in the chat window, so to say. (...)

We had no problems with the expectators during the trial. Those who were interested in other things were "removed" from the temple (there was a guy who kept challenging everyone and another who only cared about how to seat and wouldn't let the trial take place. both were given the DR quest by concerned citizens, who filled in for our lack of security).

(...) Building. To hold an event like this, there's indeed the need of having a building. Making it on the open camp and telling people to assume that aint open, but a building where the trial is going on might be tricky. Still, I do not see fit the chosing of Laanx temple, if that was indeed roleplayed as the place, and not selected as a normally empty building that fitted more or less the action (has chairs, almost always empty...) but then again, if the temple of Laanx really was meant to be the real location (and not only a skeleton for all to imagine the real building the action was taking place in) then I've to say that the choosing doesn't seem very nice. Specially since it has nothing to do with religion issues (perhaps if that was the case...) but would the priests allow to hold a trial between the very walls of the sacred temple? I doubt it. (...)

Yes. We should have a better building for this sort of RP. We still hold our prisoners in the "cells" of the temple... Maybe the Eagle would make a better venue from now on. It was not chosen this time because it was our first experience and we wanted to make it easy for people to attend.

In any case, I hope this experience and thread can be a helpful reference for players, GMs and devs for future work.  We all know what we RP doesn't really "matter" in terms of what the History of Yliakum is going to be once the game is finished (or as it progresses), but that doesn't mean that what we RP will not be of help in the process of writing such history, should the developers choose to take them in mind. Maybe we can all put our two trias this way, providing ideas for the development of settings that they can hand pick and work from.

Colinb

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2006, 07:33:03 pm »
Im fairly curious about how this will work...
Whould the victim be a vollunteer or a actualy thief, murder, mugger, evil guild lords, etc?

Siteri Kidachi

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2006, 01:31:34 pm »
I got thinking about this again recently now that Daehaz seems to be back to his old ways again (or rather a new version). Now, I might just be being a sore loser (me being the only person who voted Daehaz guilty), but I came up with a few suggestions.

1. The ENTIRE JURY should be present for deliberations. In the case of Daehaz's trial, the whole jury was there during the trial, so they WOULD have been able to stay for deliberations if Unar hadn't interfered... but when it finally came down to doing it, only 5 were able to show up. I think we should wait for the whole jury to show up, or, if they can't show up for a certain time, declare a mistrial and do the whole thing again with a more reliable jury. Think of it this way: Not counting Vaice, who died (left PS) before the deliberations, we had 7 jury members. 4 of them voted guilty, 1 voted not guilty, at first. With just 5 people it seemed like an overwhelming decision, so the other four didn't really listen to my arguments for why he was guilty. If the other two were there, and they had thought he was guilty, the people who voted guilty might have been a little bit more inclined to listen to the other three. Of course, this also goes the other way.
I put in the time limit rule so that things don't get dragged out too long and so the defendant knows they'll be doing something a certain time later, whether it's redoing the trial or getting the verdict/sentence.

2. Reading through the topic, it seems like a lot of people seemed to agree that we shouldn't have the modern mindset of "innocent until proven guilty". This didn't happen in Daehaz's trial. The people who voted not guilty said that there wasn't enough evidence that Daehaz actually killed anyone. But what about evidence that he didn't? I don't think Daehaz ever gave himself any sort of alibi, or any reason why all these people who said they saw him were wrong. The challenge to Daehaz could be, "If you didn't kill all those people, who or what did?"

3. This is actually more a problem for future trials, particularly if Daehaz is tried for what I hear he's doing now... The courts should acknowledge the existence of magic when deciding the standard of proof. I would assume there are some kinds of magic that can be used for crime without leaving any physical evidence. For example, mind control. If someone uses mind control to make someone else kill, obviously the person who did the mind controlling is guilty of murder. However, there's no way there could be any real evidence that proves that the person mind controlled DIDN'T do it on their own, or go temporarily insane. So there has to be a possibility of punishing people without having concrete evidence.

Of course, there are some problems that can't really be avoided. For instance, several important witnesses weren't able to come to the trial, including the victims (Although that does bring up the problem of whether murder victims should be allowed to come back from the DR to testify against their killers) and Zorbels. Even though they were supposed to be important evidence, and I'm pretty sure they were presented in a scroll, I believe that the statements of the victims and Zorbels may not have been given their proper weight by the people who voted not guilty. Here is the argument I tried to use:

We have all these statements describing one guy killing a bunch of people. It's clearly the same person, the description is the same in every one, Then comes Zorbels, who fought the guy described by the others, and took away his scroll, which was described by the victims as well. She also gave Daehaz a scar, which could still be seen during the trial. So, guy who killed people = the guy Zorbels fought = Daehaz. Now, I think that's enough evidence. One person who voted not guilty actually claimed that illusions might have been used to frame Daehaz, in which case nobody can ever be convicted of any crime, since it can ALWAYS just be illusions...

(Note: I've been kind of half-IC in this post... kind of sympathizing with Siteri, so I hope the rest of the people playing the jury doesn't think I'm mad at them. After all, we all know he did it.)

Narure

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2006, 03:21:27 pm »
I don't remember you saying that bit about zorbels  ??? and you have to think about the jurors characters. would they all be completely unbiased?

Siteri Kidachi

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2006, 03:30:38 pm »
Well, I tried. And yes, I had been thinking some characters would be a bit biased. I was probably a little biased against him because of the "cliff incident", and you're biased towards him because, hey, you're the same guy who leads Ulbernauts into the city, obviously you'd like having a serial killer loose.

zhai

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2006, 03:59:25 pm »
I agree that the ideal scenario would have included all 8 original jury members. Daehaz, however, remained imprisoned for over two weeks, which in PS time equals a couple of months at least, so the time when the jury met to deliberate would have matched any time limit set at the beginning.

The deliberation was, according to what I heard, all IC, so I guess you could have put your foot down and demanded to be heard by the other jurors. Again, this first tries are all "glitchy" and there is a lot of room for improvement. Maybe jurors should've been told explicitly to turn the "innocent till proven guilty" principle backwards. Something else to take in mind.

Syilph

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: [OOC] How to prosecute the Killer of the Sewers
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2006, 04:10:25 am »
I support Zhai's idea for a trial. But as a medieval world, as Zhai pointed out, something more medieval should be done, not a trial itself with elders or judges, or someone enlightened giving the final sentece, but maybe to hear the voice of the townsfolk and the families or friends of the victims. some kind of town meeting, with people shouting for justice and of course some moderator or elders to guide the thing, but the decision of guilt or incocence, i believe should  made by the townspeople. let the voice of the town be heard, something like that. that sounds medieval to me  :thumbup:

i'll be glad to be part of it or check it out however it's decided to be.  \\o//. Nice idea Zhai.

A quick insight on medieval times:
Townfolks have absolutely no saying in a trial. Medieval times were not democratic. The only ones that hold the power to judge and to aply punishments are: The Lord of that region, The King (certain exceptions could give the religious leader of that region or kingdom some power, especially if the churchs intherests were harmed ). This would make having a trial a bit difficult because players will have to accept somebody as leader. Also, the leader should dictate the laws that everybody must know and follow. This might raise some issues because the leaders of Yliakum are the octarchs (of the inner and outer circle) and nobody can RP being an Octarch. Of course, there are leaders below the octarchs, and those would be the leaders of each guild, and above them, and those would be the Dreykens (gods like Talad and Laanx are). So, having a trial will be quite a difficult thing to RP without offending somebody by asuming leadership (Ex: Xillix proclaiming to be an octarch didn't went quite well).

PS: Please see this post as a few issues that have to be addressed and not as criticism on the ideea. I only raised some issues, and now, the fun of trying to solve them is yours ;)