Author Topic: The Team and the Community  (Read 5015 times)

Capprion

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: The Team and the Community
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2006, 09:42:31 pm »
soooo bein g a tid it off topic , what is the Dev team looking for the most..i mean what speciality or tech trade could one of us do to speed the progress of completion up the most...
also when you say hobby you really mean it, most hobbies are life long and i think this one will be to lol

maybe if you more publicly states the exact needs of the team at the moment you could get some more help ( maybe u have already i dunno this was just a fast edit right befor i went to bed  goodnight lol )
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 09:44:06 pm by Capprion »

Datruth

• Hydlaa Notable
  • "You can't Squeeze Blood from a stone."
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2006, 09:44:11 pm »

All i have written is, the devs need to allow player participation in the game.

It's funny what the power of one statement can make.

Looks like it finally got the Devs all riled up.

That's good.

I'll continue to say it.

Dev's need to allow player participation in game.

Wish list is just a place where people put their wants in.

By participation i mean, we know what your working on, we vote on how to do it, we help you as you do it.

Very simple idea.

The wish list forum in no way addresses this problem.

No taxation without representation....

It's What our country was founded on.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 09:46:47 pm by Datruth »
Truth To Disbelief

Quote from: svuun
I adopt Karyuu.  She might not be new but her skin is so supple, soft and n00b like....  :sweatdrop:

DaveG

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2006, 09:52:15 pm »
I'd be happy if we had even 20 active people, day-to-day. Most of the time we have half that.
Where are you getting these magic numbers?... With respect to programming, most days we have half that, only a few actually working on the server, and usually CVS commits from only one or two people, if that.  This is not a big team.  If you include all departments, my generic estimate is a dozen active devs at any one time.

I'd really like to know where we get all these whiny players... they're annoying.  Look, no, you have no input unless you're on the team.  We like to discuss and listen to players' ideas, but we may or may not listen.  It's not your game, no matter how large your ego.  You have no say in the matter.

Edited to add:
Why are you quoting democratic stuffs?... This ain't a democracy; there's no rule here; we're making a game and you're playing/testing it here.  Where do people get the hubris to demand to vote on things?  Apply to the team if you'd like (link is in my sig), but you have to satisfactorily complete some tasks before getting in.  Aka, you need to actually have the skills and talent not to make crap.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 09:54:39 pm by DaveG »

::  PlaneShift Team Programmer  ::

Siteri Kidachi

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2006, 09:52:25 pm »
But we aren't being taxed. This is a free game.

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2006, 09:54:10 pm »
Datester,

Are you familiar with the PlaneShift motto?

"100% satisfaction or your money back!"  :-)

The players that get listened to here are the ones who have ideas that add value and make the game more fun for all players, or which add capabilities and whole new ways to play.  The ones who bellyache about how hard it is or how boring a run is--those don't get listened to.  If you don't like the run, change your fricken race.  Otherwise, life is about choices, so get used to disappointment.

Your slave,
- Vengeance

Santiago

• Hydlaa Resident
  • "Scandal is gossip made tedious by morality."
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2006, 09:56:21 pm »
I am not sure where you got the idea that PlaneShift is open to any more than what you just described the Wishlist as being -- Players can give their input and opinions, and developers will listen, but they have absolutely no obligation to do anything any player wants.

That is how it is.

Trying to rile people up is not constructive, nor makes your demands any more relevant to the facts. :) What you are suggesting simply will not happen, unless Talad decides to allow it. Unfair? Depends who you ask. But you have no rights to demand changes to how the game is developed, and doing so with such a forceful attitude is the last way you will get anyone to take you seriously.

Datruth

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2006, 09:58:01 pm »
I'd be happy if we had even 20 active people, day-to-day. Most of the time we have half that.
Where are you getting these magic numbers?... With respect to programming, most days we have half that, only a few actually working on the server, and usually CVS commits from only one or two people, if that.  This is not a big team.  If you include all departments, my generic estimate is a dozen active devs at any one time.

I'd really like to know where we get all these whiny players... they're annoying.  Look, no, you have no input unless you're on the team.  We like to discuss and listen to players' ideas, but we may or may not listen.  It's not your game, no matter how large your ego.  You have no say in the matter.

Edited to add:
Why are you quoting democratic stuffs?... This ain't a democracy; there's no rule here; we're making a game and you're playing/testing it here.  Where do people get the hubris to demand to vote on things?  Apply to the team if you'd like (link is in my sig), but you have to satisfactorily complete some tasks before getting in.  Aka, you need to actually have the skills and talent not to make crap.

Your elequence moved me daveg, as always.  ;)

An Open mind and a kind heart, helps all problems, or so said my parents.

Datester,

Are you familiar with the PlaneShift motto?

"100% satisfaction or your money back!"  :-)

The players that get listened to here are the ones who have ideas that add value and make the game more fun for all players, or which add capabilities and whole new ways to play.  The ones who bellyache about how hard it is or how boring a run is--those don't get listened to.  If you don't like the run, change your fricken race.  Otherwise, life is about choices, so get used to disappointment.

Your slave,
- Vengeance

I'm glad i've gotten your attention vengeance, because i am filling out all the stuff you need in order to get on the team and am almost complete.

Hopefully i'll get accepted to the team, and provide some input, and not have my appication thrown out the second it's viewed.

I'm looking forward to a reply, as to what my dev status is.

~~Datruth

Please avoid posting two or more successive posts before others have replied. Just edit your last post to add new information. --Santiago
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 10:14:18 pm by Santiago »
Truth To Disbelief

I adopt Karyuu.  She might not be new but her skin is so supple, soft and n00b like....  :sweatdrop:

DaveG

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2006, 10:08:02 pm »
Don't automatically expect to get accepted.  You need to actually be a decent artist or a programmer.  (or if high, a PR guy)  That, and the app list is... shall we say, "backed up"...  The programming list (the one I manage) is the only one without pending apps, and even it has prospects waiting on tasks.

We barely have the time to work on stuff, and it's often hard to find time to manage a pile of barely competant prospects.  (not to say there aren't good and downright great ones, but there are... others; lets just say half the people that apply to the programming dept. don't finish their first task, which is to just build from source)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 10:11:44 pm by DaveG »

Datruth

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2006, 10:12:56 pm »
Don't automatically expect to get accepted.  You need to actually be a decent artist or a programmer.  (or if high, a PR guy)  That, and the app list is... shall we say, "backed up"...  The programming list (the one I manage) is the only one without pending apps, and even it has prospects waiting on tasks.

We barely have the time to work on stuff, and it's often hard to find time to manage a pile of barely competant prospects.  (not to say there aren't good and downright great ones, but there are... others)

I'm sorry to say, i didn't sign up for programming, being that it is very boring.

I did do it and i still remember a few things from my past courses, but it is just mindless typing to me, that's why i quit my class.

i signed  up for the settings department.

Hopefully that's not full.

And no, i don't expect an automantic invite.

But i also don't want to be ignored and never responded back to.
Truth To Disbelief

dfryer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2006, 10:15:20 pm »
It's not that your opinion as a player *doesn't count*, but some kinds of problems take priority over others - your opinion isn't the entirety of the decision making process.  Is Ojaveda one day going to be vibrant and full of reasons to be there? Of course.  It was decided some time ago that we would implement different spawn locations and we're not going to keep on changing things around.  If it's a huge problem, die less.

Oja has nothing, and forcing enkidukais to go there is Pure Tyranny, in it's highest form.

*Pure Tyranny*?  It really boggles the mind to think what caused you to suggest this.  Ultimately, are the decisions behind planeshift autocratic?  Yes.  Is it "Pure Tyranny", where you're all forced to play enkidukai endlessly running across a grey plain while supervisors poke you with burning forks?  I think not..
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

DaveG

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2006, 10:16:30 pm »
Um... it'll be a bit.  There's dozens of pending apps for Luca to go over, and he simply doesn't have the time for them.  The one thing you need to do anything PS related is patience.

Edited to add:
Actually, I'd say the PS team is more of a heirarchical oligarchy.  We all have some input on different issues, with most coming from those in the related teams, and the top leaders having overrule powers.  'Course we're back to overanalyzing things again.  :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 10:21:36 pm by DaveG »

Datruth

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2006, 10:23:30 pm »
Um... it'll be a bit.  There's dozens of pending apps for Luca to go over, and he simply doesn't have the time for them.  The one thing you need to do anything PS related is patience.

Edited to add:
Actually, I'd say the PS team is more of a heirarchical oligarchy.  We all have some input on different issues, with most coming from those in the related teams, and the top leaders having overrule powers.  'Course we're back to overanalyzing things again.  :)

What's the best department, for a writer/webdesigner, who has tested previous Games before?

Maybe i'll sign up for another one.
Truth To Disbelief

DaveG

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2006, 10:24:41 pm »
Writer => Settings

You filled out the right app.  Just make sure to actually fill out everything.  People putting down absolutely nothing in the qualifications and experiences stuff get rejected.

sesmi

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2006, 02:48:10 pm »
This man does not represent me  :-\

Datruth

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2006, 12:37:40 am »
I've been logging into nexus, there are no tasks, and i'm still a prospect, is this your way of quieting me?

What happened to the whole, join the dev team spirit?

You told me to stop talking and help you guys out, so i did, and yet i'm not on your team and the wishes of the players arn't being addressed.

Is this how it works?

Just how long is it supposed to take for someone to join a dev team?

When was the last time you had a member join the dev team?

I want to provide input in the game, you said the only way to have a real effect is to join the dev team, so i did.

I've been a prospect with no tasks for a while now.

How much longer till i get promoted?

What do you need to do to get promoted?

Truth To Disbelief