Author Topic: The Team and the Community  (Read 5016 times)

DermorianJeston

• Traveller
  • I pitty da fool!
    • View Profile
Re: The Team and the Community
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2006, 09:34:45 am »
The worst thing i learned though is that people who question these policies are ridiculed and called annoying and it, EVEN by fellow players, whose opinions i'm fighting for.

You still dont get it do you? Questioning things is essential, but you were not questioning, you were DEMANDING. You say you are fighting for the players, but the thing is, the majority of the players who have posted in this thread do not agree with you. I only saw three people post in support of your comments. So, you are not fighting for our wants and needs, you are taking your own wants and assuming that everyone else feels the same way. Then loudly proclaiming to speak for us. Well sir, you do not speak for me.

This all started over a complaint about the distance to Oja. I can get there in like 5 minutes, for the love of god just go straight man. It's not that far at all.

Robinmagus

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Pixies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2006, 09:42:37 am »
even I'm human and I too have my limits 

Omfg...
Karyuu? Human? Lies!
Talamir - DeT, Dark Empire, etc, etc, etc.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2006, 09:53:25 am »
It's true...

Sorry for posting in a frustrated manner. I probably could have replied better a lot of the time, but I felt insulted that someone would insinuate the devs aren't doing enough "action" to show that they care about the players, when everything we are doing is done for the players to enjoy, and people are spending hours every day working on this game. It's like forgetting all the cool things that have been introduced recently and with updates, and sticking with a 'Us Players Are The Lonely Warriors' mentality just because Ojaveda hasn't been made as populated as Hydlaa.

Folks have no idea how much effort goes into building this world, and I guess that's okay. But then saying that it's not enough effort is awful.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Janner

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2006, 10:14:05 am »
 I would like to say thank you all the devs and others how spend a large part of there free time in work on Planeshift.
 THANK YOU.

But would also like to point out no I for one don't know what it takes to do what you do, and would not understand if you had the time to explain it to me, so for people like me who don't realise what it means to spend hours a day coding and arty things, think what you do do [work or sports wise] training that sort of thing then actually doing your thing. Then you might get a insight into what they have to do effort wise, so hats off to them for doing something that I or we can't just so we can enjoy this game.
Glad to help.

Datruth

• Hydlaa Notable
  • "You can't Squeeze Blood from a stone."
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2006, 05:13:14 pm »
Folks have no idea how much effort goes into building this world, and I guess that's okay. But then saying that it's not enough effort is awful.

That's a blantant lie, you were never called lazy, you were only told to address the concerns of the public which you lacked, that's it.

I spoke many times of the hard work you all did, the only thing i questioned was addressing the needs of the community.
Truth To Disbelief

Quote from: svuun
I adopt Karyuu.  She might not be new but her skin is so supple, soft and n00b like....  :sweatdrop:

neko kyouran

« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2006, 05:22:01 pm »
You may have never said it in words, but reading your posts, they certainly have the feel of an implied "work faster, harder, now" tone.

A general tip when writing an emial, forum post, etc.  Read your post and try to interpret it the most negative way possible.  As this is how it will sound to some others that read it.  Even if you mean what you have wrote in a completely different way, that doesn't matter if others don't interpret your post in the same way.

zorbels

• Forum Addict
  • Screenshot Queen of PS - EX GM - Strawberries <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2006, 05:29:25 pm »
Quote from: Datruth
I spoke many times of the hard work you all did, the only thing i questioned was addressing the needs of the community.

That maybe but you have applied for a devs job and now you are waiting to be accepted to help the dev team. Need there be more posts about this issue? Seems to me it is just going in circles.

:) BTW no one asked you to speak for the players or the community. That is something that the players can do for themselves. Though I have agreed with some of your points, I don't think the you are handling this in a very constructive way. So when speaking to the Devs on the forums, just know you are speaking for yourself and not the community. I think all of us would appreciate that.
   I've been outside, it's overrated and the graphics suck!

Robinmagus

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Pixies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2006, 05:38:26 pm »
Quote from: Datruth

That maybe but you have applied for a devs job and now you are waiting to be accepted to help the dev team. Need there be more posts about this issue? Seems to me it is just going in circles.

:) BTW no one asked you to speak for the players or the community. That is something that the players can do for themselves. Though I have agreed with some of your points, I don't think the you are handling this in a very constructive way. So when speaking to the Devs on the forums, just know you are speaking for yourself and not the community. I think all of us would appreciate that.

Amen.

greymist

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2006, 07:34:42 pm »
I see the fact that Datruth feels so strongly about the game as an indication that the Devs have done a good job.

I doubt that you would get a fairly heated thread like this about a poorly designed and developed game.  People just wouldn't care.

In a strange way, it can be seen as positive feedback.

Greymist

Peacer

• Veteran
  • I've got balls of steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2006, 10:13:46 am »
i have two things to say maybe i'm repeating someone else but i don't want to read through five pages...

datruth... if you don't like it play another race and start complaining about missing animations instead
also the devs do work hard... but can't meet everyone's requirements

look around have you seen the eagle face? Pretty nice aye?
The Guardians of Power

left the game, looking in now and then to check progress, if you want to contact me use the email attached to the msn contact on this forum account

Dahoma

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2006, 10:25:06 am »
Finally!The end of the thread. I read all the way through  \\o//. And I have to say, while keeping the most possibly open mind ever. That Datruth is mildly correct in some aspects of his...fight? If that's what it can be called. Datruth, you did the right thing by joining the team and, personally, that was the only good idea you had. The others were equally wonderful but put in a way that made it sound like you were fighting the "Man". Might I ask, what "Man" were you fighting? Talad?

And though you never said some things straight out loud, and instead used other words to convey your ideas, then when people put them more bluntly you said that they were all lies, or something of the such.

Ok...i'm going to digress. I don't want to attack like I did just above. So i'll continue with what I was saying. That you were mildly right. I haven't played this game to the fullest extent because I don't have a lot of time on my hands. And though, like you said, they might not being listening fully. At least they listen. And even then I like to have their occasional comments in the forums because Karyuu and Zorbels are funny. And that they are at least READING what we say is good enough for me. I don't think there are many games that have people who take that time out of their day to do even that. So essentially I agree with you, that they don't listen completely, but at least they listen, and though that's not a lot, it's enough. Because i'm not really that picky.

Ok...i'm going to try to give my opinion on what you said Datruth, without being insulting, or as you liked to call it "mudslinging". Please forgive me if it ends up that way.

I'm sorry if some of this seems a little vague and does not connect directly to one specific thing you said, it's more like an overview of everything you said. And I'd use quotes but i'm way to lazy to flip back to the other pages to find everything I wanted.

Your opinions were all valid in a manner of speaking, but put in a way that made them sound, in themselves, mudsling...-ish. It wasn't the normal: "Hey Dev pals, buds, friends, could you listen a little more". Or really anything close to that. And what I said there was a little exagerated, but hopefully you get the point. It was to direct, "you don't ask the lion to not eat you before you give him the steak" (forgive this crude analogy, but I made it up on the spot). Maybe if your posts were a little more...enticing it would attract more  :thumbup: 's then  :thumbdown: 's. Because you have the right ideas, for the most part. But it's more like you...well like everybody said it's more like you want it NOW and NOW. And never then. And then you kind of wonder why everybody is attacking you, it's kind of like you murdered somebody and then turned all puppy eyes. It's the wrong approach if you ask me.

Yeah, well that's my opionion... heh, my two trias... :whistling: :sweatdrop:
- Dahoma Sins

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2006, 01:38:18 pm »

That's a blantant lie, you were never called lazy, you were only told to address the concerns of the public which you lacked, that's it.

This looks like saying we don't produce enough action to me.

You can say you care about a person all day long, but what actual proves it, Action.

There has been some action by the Dev team and moderator team, so i can't say they don't care, they do, probably not enough.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 01:44:34 pm by Karyuu »
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Robinmagus

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Pixies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2006, 01:52:48 pm »
probably not enough.

Couldn't disagree more. They've made a game public at v. 0.03.0103231 or whatever the hell it's at, and you say they don't care enough? Really, if they didn't care, they'd keep it to a small number of testers, release it at v.1.0 and charge 45$ a month to play it. The community needs have been addressed, maybe not yours. That's a different story. Make a thread about what you want from them, and ask nicely. I doubt the community shares your view. And again you speak for noone but yourself. Them spending all this time on this game for no material reward is more care than you deserve mate. Karyuu isn't paid to sit there and moderate these forums because people like you (and me) can't keep it organized ourselves. She does it out of the goodness of her heart, and so does the rest of the team. To even think that they don't care enough, let alone say it, is stupid. Datruth, I'd like to see you lose sleep over something for 4-6+ (I have no idea) years, get no material rewards, (money) and then have people tell you that you don't care. That's rude. You're lucky Karyuu and the team are nice, I'd have flamed you before you hit the create thread button. I want to see you make half the productive action in a year that Karyuu makes in a day moderating these forums. Grrrr.

And so ends a touching speech by yours truly,

Robinmagus.

I WIN!

EDIT: Disclaimer: This post's contents and opinions were blinded by biased positions I have towards whiny people. If it's totally pointless, damn I still feel better after posting it.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 01:57:24 pm by Robinmagus »

eldoth_terevan

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2006, 02:24:00 pm »
Why has this thread not been locked? It is offensive to everybody, I think. The Planeshift dev team are OBVIOUSLY committed individuals. It does not take a 99 INT to figure that out.

Valbrandr

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2006, 02:29:05 pm »
Bah its very tiresome... how come either we get posts about how much people disagree with the devs (usually in a radical way) or posts about how much everyone should love them for everything they have done? There is no happy medium, people coming in with thoughtful posts about whats wrong. Just "Hey the devs arent doing what I want" or the even more bothersome "the devs do everything and have no faults so shut up"... neither point of view get anything done.

Edit: Whats there to be offended about? If someone is just making claims that are untrue or they really have no idea, then nothing to get offended about.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 02:33:02 pm by Valbrandr »