Author Topic: 3D artist  (Read 1374 times)

Kakoii

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
3D artist
« on: February 07, 2003, 09:55:36 pm »
Hello, i\'m new here and i want to be a part of the 3d departament, i already sent an email to the staff  ^-^ i hope they accecpt me =)

Here are some screenshots of my models

http://fotos.hispavista.com/kakoii-portfolio

Please look at all the pictures, most of them are low poly models, from 650 to 750 polys others are 2500/3000. the textures were also done by me =)

sorry if my english is bad, i\'m from South america, Chile

PD: Alguien habla espa?ol por aca? ;P

kinshadow

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2003, 10:48:18 pm »
I think your models are pretty good, but the PS 3D dept has a very high standard for admitance.   I wish you the best of luck.

My Spanish sucks, but I do remember the three key phrasses you need when going to Tijuana  :

Donde esta el ba?o?
Una cerveza por favor.
Tengo una fiesta en mis pantalones.

Bigfoot

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2003, 11:46:13 pm »
Excellent modeling there. nice polycounts as well, textures are a bit weak, as well as facial mesh.

You didnt happen to do work for Redmoon Riseing or ElementalSaga did you?... the character designs seems familiar, although that is a stock style of 3D anime ive seen alot of in other works.

very good all the same. Far superiour compared to most of the poop that gets posted under titles such as \"My first  attempt at 3d, let me join the devs\" posts. you\'d be quite an asset to them if you get in. And they would be idiots not to let you in... then again, they have been known to do some odd things

Shaolin monks your best in my opinion, as far as an ingame model goes.  :]

« Last Edit: February 07, 2003, 11:50:51 pm by Bigfoot »

Kakoii

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2003, 12:06:33 am »
thanks for your support guys ;P.

Yes, textures are a bit weak, i\'m mostly a 3d artist and not a 2d artist, these textures were my first attempts in Photoshop ;P

and not, i didn?t work for these games my only previous work were at Glest, a 3d RTS game, most of the models were made for that game.

I wonder if the 3d engine of PS supports alpha maps, i used it in the Wings of the angel.

Fanomatic2000

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2003, 05:23:06 am »
Well, the only thing I don\'t like about your models is your faces, but that can be fixed ;)
Otherwise I like your models a lot (Elementalist is my personal favourite :] )
Good luck with the devs.

BTW. what 3d-program do you use?

Be a member of our Mirthful community.
Join us today!   :]

Note:  This is my old account. I am now known as \"Jadd\".

Culsoron

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2003, 07:01:39 am »
I love your angel, keep up the good work. I agree that the faces and textures are not so good, but beeing your first textures, they\'re ok. Welcome to our Community.

Kada-El

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2003, 07:15:02 am »
Nice work (not that I know anything, but I know what I like ;))

Good luck getting onto the team :D  

Originally posted by Bigfoot
Far superiour compared to most of the poop that gets posted under titles such as \"My first  attempt at 3d, let me join the devs\" posts.

You don\'t need to be so hyper-critical, not everyone has your skill and experience. People are being inspired by what they see here and that is a great thing. People are trying to learn new skills because of that inspiration and PS should be proud of that. People post their work and get feedback - I enjoy seeing what people create and much of it, while perhaps isn\'t up to the professional standard required for dev work, is nonetheless very good.

Kakoii

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2003, 10:09:52 am »
Yeah, i also love the Angel and the elementalist, the Angel is based on \"Yue\", an angel from the anime series Card captor sakura ; and the Elementalist is based on the Wizard from Ragnarock Online.

I\'m not a 2d artist so i need concept sketches to do a great work :) and here comes the support of the 2d apartament, that?s why i want to join the team,  i know i will do a great work working together with the 2d artist.

i know the face in my models isn\'t very detailed but i had to keep the polycount low. And most of the models were made for a 3d RTS game like Warcraft 3,  with a top view perspective, so the faces won\'t be seen ;P. i discontinued my interest in these game cause the polycount of my models were too high for a RTS game,  and i can\'t make nice characters with 250-350 polys.

And finally, my personal favourite model it\'s the samurai rider, it was hard to make a good looking horse and rider fully jointed with 880 polys

Elentor

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2003, 11:22:23 am »
Sorry Kada-El, but I think BigFoot is right. He just said the absolutely truth.
First when he says that this guy is far superior, he indeed is and no one can deny this. Although the way he spoke about the other works as \"poop\", I can\'t disagree with he too. Do you remember the dude who posted here some planets in the universe and wanted already to join the team? To me this could only be discribed as a \"prank\", because it\'s complete nonsense that someone could use a scene using software primitive objects with textures and background took in the internet as a request to join a game 3d development team. Being \"sympathic\" is nothing but being a hypocrite - that was poop. As poop as every Poser scene and as much poop as my first 3d drawings were, and I\'m sure that Bigfoot\'s ones too.
So I don\'t see anything wrong with it. A bit agressive, but completely real. I\'ve seen giga-billion-zillion 3D swords here in this forum from people who was just beginning in 3D and wanted to join the team. And hell, the swords sucked. This does NOT MEANS that THE PEOPLE who did them suck, but it means that is a n00b work, and almost of what 90%beginners tends to do is poop. They might get better than me in one year, who knows. But still, it\'s impossible to say their first works are good.

Imo, Bigfoot was just direct, and wrote with sincerity what did he think.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2003, 11:24:22 am by Elentor »

Kakoii

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2003, 01:37:58 pm »
I\'m afraid that the 3d leader don\'t like the anime style of my models U_u

Kada-El

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2003, 01:44:12 pm »
Good points Elentor and well qualified, I agree (mostly). The type of examples you quoted are indeed a waste of time. But there are people who are working hard to try to improve their skills and contribute to a project that they are very excited about. What I objected to was their hard work and efforts being captured in such an unfair generalisation. I probably just overreacted a bit to a post that wasn?t intended to be taken in such a way ;)

EDIT: Don\'t give up Kakoii!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2003, 01:46:49 pm by Kada-El »

Golbez

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2003, 03:01:05 pm »
I may be wrong, but I just look at things differently most of the time.

Yes, Bigfoot has a point when he says that the quality of a beginner\'s work cannot be compared to that of an experienced artist. And I know that from personal experience, because I enjoy drawing, and when I look at many illustrations, be them professional or not, made by very skilled artists, I realise of how much I need to practice and improve.

Still, even when I say my 3-year-old drawings are \"crap\", I don\'t really mean it. I know I did my best to do them, I\'m 110% sure it wasn\'t enough to make them look decently, but I put a lot of effort in them. That HAS to count, at least a little bit. Sure, the quality was really low, but I learned, tried really hard, wanting to improve and be better. In a very weird way, I\'m proud of them, even if I\'d be more than embarrassed if somebody took a good look at them. Probably every 3d artist feels the same about their first models.

So you have to take into account the effort someone puts in his or her work before saying it\'s crap. Who knows if, as Elentor said, that person will get better than you? Who knows if that person hides an incredible potential? It would be a shame to discourage them by being so harsh and blunt.

Of course, art means patience, but they have to learn to be patient and wait for the results to be good enough to be accepted in the dev team (and that goes for all of those that want their drawings or stories published, or their concept art to be used in a movie, game, magazine, etc). What\'s more important, others have to be supportive.

I agree with the \"quick work\", though. If you invest only 5 minutes of your time to make something look pretty, but don\'t use any of your skills, neither learn anything new (using Poser to get into the dev team, for example), that\'s nothing more than a waste of everybody\'s time.

I\'m not even decent at drawing (that makes me try a thousand times harder), so maybe I shouldn\'t be giving my opinion and discussing with people that have so much experience in their own field. It\'s only that I REFUSE to say something is \"crap\" without knowing how hard the author tried.

I\'ll stop rambling on now, you can have a party if you want ;) I wanted to say a few things I considered important.

EDIT: Oh, and Kakoii, I already told you your works are very good. Maybe if somebody that finds texturing a little more enjoyable can enhance their looks, but I\'ve seen a lot of 3d art, and yours is at a very good level. If you don\'t get accepted, don\'t give up, maybe it\'s not the style the team is going for. I received a lot of criticism for the Asian influence of my doodles, some people do not like it, but many do. You will find somebody that appreciates the quality and style of your models, do not doubt that. ;)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2003, 03:06:48 pm by Golbez »

Kakoii

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2003, 03:08:31 pm »
I\'m out

Well friends, the 3d leader and me had a VERY different idea of beauty, i don\'t like his models and he don\'t like mine so, we can\'t work together =), thanks for your supports guys and good bye

Elentor

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2003, 03:30:21 pm »
What was boonet thinking, I wonder?

Fanomatic2000

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2003, 05:39:00 pm »
Sorry to hear that Kakoii :(
Well, good luck in the future.

Be a member of our Mirthful community.
Join us today!   :]

Note:  This is my old account. I am now known as \"Jadd\".