Author Topic: Qualifications / Merit Badges  (Read 407 times)

eldoth_terevan

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Qualifications / Merit Badges
« on: August 31, 2006, 10:24:53 am »
This is sort of a follow-up to the Gods & RPing thread from the last few days. The issue is being able to see what a character's qualifications are. I see this data occuring near the estimation of strength at the bottom of the character description.

1. Go to the trainer you train your Cooking to level 1.
2. Click the Qualify button. This costs you say, 100 tria.
3. The qualification Busboy is added to your character description.
4. Continue on your way and come back to train one day and you train to level 3 cooking.
5. Click the Qualify button and the description Short-Order Cook replaces the Busboy title on your description, and this costs you 150 tria.
6. And so on and so on...

This would give a way for other characters to gauge the skills that are used by your character. Anybody who wanted to convince people they were a Master Chef would be willing to pay for the qualification. If they did not, no qualification would show on the description window. So it would be entirely at the PCs discretion. The trainers could always qualify the skills they train, or one might have to go to another NPC to get the qualification. Perhaps some kind of an issuing code for the qualification so that you would know whether this or that NPC had issued the qualification, allowing judgements based on the quality of it. Perhaps this could be a PC skill, so that level 1 Qualify allowed you to verify another characters level 1 skills and issue an appropriate qualification to them.

I just wanted that out of my head. Sorry if this was already kicked around, I had no idea what this might have been called in previous thread. Thank you.

grenkar

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: Qualifications / Merit Badges
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 07:02:13 pm »
I love it, it's brillianT.  I insist that the devs impliment it as soon as possible.

Suno_Regin

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 07:29:21 pm »
I don't quite get it, but it sounds like a good idea. So you're saying cooking trainers would give you a cookbook and you could perfect, say, recipes and different ingrediant mixtures?

Santiago

• Hydlaa Resident
  • "Scandal is gossip made tedious by morality."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 07:48:13 pm »
I didn't see anything about cookbooks or perfecting recipes... As I understand it, this is like qualifications in the real world. You can have skills, but you don't necessarily have the papers to prove it to other people and employers. Qualifications would act as proof of your skills, something readily visible to other players, instead of them magically just knowing it by looking at you. Is this correct?

grenkar

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 08:21:27 pm »
I didn't see anything about cookbooks or perfecting recipes... As I understand it, this is like qualifications in the real world. You can have skills, but you don't necessarily have the papers to prove it to other people and employers. Qualifications would act as proof of your skills, something readily visible to other players, instead of them magically just knowing it by looking at you. Is this correct?

well yeah, that's half of it. it also gives a formal rank that you can be proud of and will be instantly added to your description.

dying_inside

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 07:19:00 am »
Hmmm, I like it I guess. But it worries me having a huge long list of titles and qualifications added to the end of your description.

You'd kinda look at a player  think "Oh they look nice" and then get "they are a master banjo player, magnificent fisherman, trainee begger, Important clodhopper" etc etc.  I think this may ruin a description a bit...

eldoth_terevan

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 09:58:49 am »
Actually it would not become a huge list because you would choose which skill and level to qualify, and then you would have to pay for it. So there might be some people who bought every qualification they could get but I think those would be in the minority.

The main thing here is just so that there is an open indication of skill ... one would not get the qualification automatically, only for the level and skill that you bought the qualification for. There would be no point to a trainee beggar buying a 300 tria qualification so that his badge says trainee.

However, there would be a point to a 15 Weapon Repair character buying the qualification as it would let everyone see that they had a good weapon repair rating. The qualification would not just be visible depending on the players INT like the current estimates one gets of PCs now ... it would be viewable to all.

Santiago: Yes, exactly. Thank you. Suno: No, more like you went to cooking school for four years and passed your Master Chef test and now you display the certificate on the wall in the kitchen. Just a little touch of professionalism and another way to keep wierd RP under control...

I cannot take credit for this idea. The original Players Handbook from TSR (Eldoth reaches for the geritol...) listed titles associated with levels that the character attained. The system is a little bit different but titles such as Master Swordsman should still apply, but there should be a way to verify that a character has actually attained this level. This was just my two bits. Thank you everybody.

[later] Also, there should be some visible tag in the description that lets other players know roughly what type of a duel-point level a character has. If a character is really a 'murderer' the tag on their description should indicate that they have killed a lot of other PCs. I have a hard time trying to work a couple of the RPs going on in game because I do not find the characters believable. This would help Eldoth to understand trials and sewer murders and everything a little better...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 10:48:00 am by eldoth_terevan »