Author Topic: colored text in posts  (Read 1028 times)

bilbous

colored text in posts
« on: October 07, 2006, 12:28:52 am »
Is it just me or are some of the colors hard to read on the brown background.
Black should be ok
Red is pretty hard to read
Light colors show up well
Pink should be ok too
Green may be trouble, we will see
Orange is not horrible, I think
What can you say about purple?
Blue could be trouble too
Beige is good, the default ... no?
Brown should be nearly invisible
Teal should be readable if maybe a little ugly
Navy should be difficult.
What would Bugs Bunny say about this?
This should be yummy.

Looks like the colors that should be replaced with more legible ones are Red, Purple and Maroon, Blue and Brown could go too.

White might be good
Magenta would be better than purple
DeepPink might be good
Gold could work
Silver looks nice
Tomato looks pretty good if I do say so myself!
Here is a link to html colors: http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_colornames.asp
Just my first hit on google for: web color names; you could probably find a chart elsewhere, I have no affiliation with the link
As you can see you are not limited to the choices in the drop down list. Just replace the color name in the opening tag

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: colored text in posts
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 12:46:22 am »
I'm.. not sure what you're really asking for here. Some colors work okay with the brown, and some don't. So let's not use the ones that don't and we'll all be fine. I also don't think that red or green are hard to read on brown, personally. They are so much brighter.

*edit*

I presume it's more of an informative post explaining that you can use more colors than those "available" on the board itself :3 Sorry if I didn't understand immediately.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 12:54:23 am by Karyuu »
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

bilbous

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 01:09:21 am »
I started off to ask if some of the choices could be changed but I discovered that it was easy enough to substitute any given html color. I had not seen all the color choices so I previewed each before I added the next. Perhaps it is a quirk of either my eyes, my monitor, my browser or my fontsize but I find red to be kind of blurry and it seems to be a favorite for emphasis. I find I have to select the red text to change its color in order to read it. I really do not expect any change in the web design but perhaps if other users see this post they might be moved to claim a custom color for their own, so to speak. I believe I shall claim for my use Tomato unless this is ruled unacceptable forum behaviour.  If this has become the wrong forum for this thread please move it wherever it might be more appropriate. If it is not appropriate for any forum let me know if there is a problem with using a custom color and delete the thread. I suspect if you find the thread deletable custom colors will not be allowed. I agree that green is fine

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 01:11:52 am »
You just have to keep in mind that even though the brown theme is the default, there are people who still use the white one, and the tomato color may not work at all in such a case. I try to use emphasis colors that I feel stand out on both backgrounds :}

josephoenix

• IRC Op
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 01:21:07 am »
On the other hand, there's still italics...

I don't know what you people see in these colors personally :P

josePhoenix
Sir John Falstaff: "Let the skie raine Potatoes: let it thunder, to the tune of Greenesleeues"

bilbous

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 01:26:54 am »
Fair enough. I could not see any way in the options to change the color scheme is there a different css file I could import into firefox to see how it looks? In all likelihood I'll give it up anyway as it is too much trouble to use. Perhaps just once in a while to freak people out.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 01:36:32 am »
To change the look of the forum, go into your Profile, choose "Look and Layout Preferences," and where it says "Current Theme:" click on the (change) link.

bilbous

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 01:41:29 am »
Ok thanks, I missed it because it was a hotlink and everything else is a dropdown or radio button.

*edit*

See I've already forgot to use it. Tomato is legible in the other two selectable themes but it is a little washed out. Maybe I'll check out SMF's home page and see about creating my own theme.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 01:49:37 am by Karyuu »

Bereror

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Planeshift API
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 03:31:33 am »
Please remember that there are different themes available and not all the people use the same theme. Posting with colored texts may make your message unreadable for some people who have chosen a different theme.

PlaneShift Sources
PlaneShift API
"Words never spoken
Are the strongest resounding"

bilbous

new question about IP display. Was: Re: colored text in posts
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 09:31:03 am »
It's ok. For me it was pretty much just a passing fancy. Anything that appears to be actual work is not something I'm likely to do in my leisure time. BTW is there any way to suppress my IP? I have a static IP and to have it up there all over the place seems like an invitation to crackers. I guess it is not that big a deal but I feel slightly put out about it.

Bereror

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Planeshift API
Re: new question about IP display. Was: Re: colored text in posts
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 10:39:09 am »
BTW is there any way to suppress my IP? I have a static IP and to have it up there all over the place seems like an invitation to crackers. I guess it is not that big a deal but I feel slightly put out about it.

Only you and forum administrators see your IP address. Nobody else can see it.
PlaneShift Sources
PlaneShift API
"Words never spoken

bilbous

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2006, 10:54:52 am »
Thanks for this.

Suno_Regin

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2006, 11:25:30 am »
Whenever I can't read a color, I highlight it. Not that hard.

Bereror

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Planeshift API
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2006, 12:33:13 pm »
Whenever I can't read a color, I highlight it. Not that hard.

Hard or not, I don't read it. When you make a post, you want others to read it and not vice versa. It is not my job to do my best to read whatever you wrote.

PS. On "you" I didn't mean you Suno, but everybody in general who thinks that using different colors is cool.
PlaneShift Sources
PlaneShift API
"Words never spoken