Author Topic: Stock casting  (Read 1191 times)

Gharan

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Stock casting
« on: October 22, 2006, 02:36:21 pm »
I am sure you are well aware of this bug but I'd like to ask a question on it:

At the moment Stock casting in Hydlaa is full of junk and yesterday i got someone who had items in it to try and remove them but he couldn't and there has just been a server reboot yet all items still remain.

How are these items removed?

Nairan

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Stock casting
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 03:51:59 pm »
maybe after a while its free to take else a dev have to take em out (not sure about gms)

Irri

• Traveller
  • Rrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 04:02:01 pm »
As far as I know, the GMs are not yet able to help with these items locked in the smithy equipment. More will appear each time the  server is rebooted as old data table items reappear. Unfortunately this means that the stock casting is frequently unusable.

From what I understand, this is happening from a change in the game code- items in the equipment at the time of a crash used to be lost, and now with this change they are slowly returning.

Gharan

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 04:16:40 pm »
I've just been told there is 15000 items currently logged into stock casting:

The good news is GMs will be able to remove idle items on the next update  \\o//

Kalika

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 04:55:03 pm »
SWEET

\\o//
 \\o//
 \\o//

'she lies with her arms flung out as if to embrace the whole hyancinth-scented, watermelon-colored world.'

Capprion

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 11:21:02 pm »
yup the more power GM's get the better the game will get

Sylvar

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 06:00:53 am »
Ok, the smith table is locked tight with Stuff that never should have been put there in the first place,  Molten iron, Leather pants, Sack etc...

So we have to wait a couple more months until the next patch to be able to make weapons at all?  That seems just screwy.

Is there no one bright enough on the team to do something now?

Sorry if it seems I am steamed but hey...  :@#\

« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 06:05:56 am by Sylvar »

Rolenun

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 11:37:10 am »
I knew someone would eventually complain about this.  It's a bug and this game is still in development. It'll be fixed soon (tm).

Datruth

• Hydlaa Notable
  • "You can't Squeeze Blood from a stone."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 04:26:21 am »
I knew someone would eventually complain about this.  It's a bug and this game is still in development. It'll be fixed soon (tm).

That's not an excuse and Sylvar makes a good point.

Everyone has a level of patience and in this situation my patience has been reached along with a majority of others.

Maybe some of us will actually be sympethetic to the needs of others.

Or we could continue to call this a "hobby" and a "game in development" in which case the Devs hold no liability at all.

They have a large fan base and with that comes power and with power comes responsibility, saying it will be dealt with soon (tm) isn't enough and is irresponsible.

~~Datruth
Truth To Disbelief

Quote from: svuun
I adopt Karyuu.  She might not be new but her skin is so supple, soft and n00b like....  :sweatdrop:

Induane

• Veteran
  • What should I put here?
    • View Profile
    • Vaalnor Inc.
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 01:05:24 pm »
That's not an excuse and Sylvar makes a good point.

Rolenun isn't a dev, and the soon(tm) thing is sort of a joke between people who have been around long enough to know how things tend to work.  The fact is that the bug isn't fixable really without special dev interference or a new release.  Considering it is a known bug that WILL be fixed in the next release, it doesn't make alot of sense for devs to drop what they are doing and add some sort of hacky fix real quick that will just be negated in the next release!  :D Don't get me wrong I feel your frustration and have found myself in similar situations.  Years of experience have taught me though that there isn't really anything some non dev can do. 

Maybe some of us will actually be sympethetic to the needs of others.

Its not that people are unsympathetic, its simply a matter of priority for the developers.  Something like this is a nuisance which will be fine in the next release so its not a top priority. Higher priorities would be things like OMFG THE SERVER CRASHES EVERY 2 SECONDS - something that would obviously need testing.

You see one of the points of us playing is to discover bugs like the ones you describe.  We report them and they get fixed next release if possible.... though some things like the weird blue upside down label in the bottom of your screen when zoning... have been there forever... :D

Or we could continue to call this a "hobby" and a "game in development" in which case the Devs hold no liability at all.

Truth of the matter is that there isn't liability.  Thats looking a gift horse in the mouth.  If they made things terrible then the players would leave and they would lose their testing base.  That is really the only thing.  They aren't actually making the game to be held accountable for it they are making it because they want there to be a fun free mmorpg.    You could always  ask for your money back if you are unsatisfied with the service  :whistling:

In any case I understand your feeling but I think your use of "we" as the community is not necessarily a representation of how everyone feels.

They have a large fan base and with that comes power and with power comes responsibility, saying it will be dealt with soon (tm) isn't enough and is irresponsible.

This isn't Spider Man so no spider man quotes!!! ;)  Seriously though this isn't always the case.  If I create a homeless shelter for lots of people and lots of people come, but some don't like that their beds are just plywood with blankets, those people can request for better beds then be patient, or just leave the totally free service.  There will be others to take their place.  The sad truth is that you and I are expendable.  The game would not suffer terribly from the disappearance of yourself or I.  Its not that I'm trying to be mean or undermine your contributions, I am just stating a simple fact that I have learned over the years  I've been here. 

I'm also not sure its irresponsible.  That is mostly an attack and I'm not sure its warranted.  I have more problems with their policy towards art submission than to their bug fixing.  Random submissions are accepted in code when possible, and often fixes and patches don't come from devs.  They are fixing the bug for the next release, I think thats responsible enough.   So I say until that bugs fixed do other things.  Run some quests or go exploring.  Start leveling a few other skills that might help make it easier to get your raw materials once the bug is fixed! PS isn't totally one sided unless you're a mage *cough *cough! :D

I understand that 2 years ago I would have hated this post by myself.  I would have flamed myself if I saw it. :D  That said it takes a certain amount of time to come to terms with the reality of certain things.  I don't know if I've just matured, given up, or become more cynical over the years but all in all despite my many complaints I'm glad I'm here.

So in summary.. this will be fixed Soon(tm)

« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 01:51:56 pm by Induane »

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006, 01:25:34 pm »
Hey, don't be so cynical, you cynicist!

Well, Induane does have a point there.
There are more important things to worry about than stock casting being bugged, and a patch is in the works anyway. This isn't one of those one-line fixes.
So yeah, soon(tm) :P
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 01:27:11 pm by ThomPhoenix »
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

Bereror

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Planeshift API
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2006, 01:30:09 pm »
With the next 0.3.017 release GMs should be able to remove items from there. Adds more work to GMs, but gives some kind of a solution.
PlaneShift Sources
PlaneShift API
"Words never spoken
Are the strongest resounding"

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006, 01:52:14 pm »
Yup, but if the patch I was talking about is added, people will be able to remove the items themselves, because the items wil get public after X minutes. Saves the GM's time :P
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

neko kyouran

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 07:28:40 pm »
Just X minutes, right?

Not the current system:  X minutes, but only if the original owner is online.  Since there's stuff in there for days and days, simply becuase the owner placed it in there, and then logged off, either on purpose or not.  I saw smeone place 5 or 6 items in the casting, then log off and they never returned for 3-4 days so those items just sat there all that time unable to be removed.

If it was just X minutes regardless of online time, then this wouldn't be a problem.

I can see why it is the way it currently is, so that if a player has a problem, and gets kicked off, they will still have thier stuff when they get a chance to log back in.  But I also see this being abused by griefers quite easily.  Character accounts are a dime a dozen.  They just make a new character, fill the casting up with  useless stuff and log off, and never use that characer again.  Essentially, shutting down other people from crafting.

Now, giving the power to remove stuff to GMs is all good and dandy, but there is a better solution.  The GMs are already taxed as it is, and if there is a fix that can solve the problem without having to have GMs do it, a self cleaning system, then the GMs are free to take up more important manners.

So, the X minutes regardless of online time is a good solution.

Or, if we are worried about people complianing about loosing items when they get accidently kicked, here's another idea I'll throw out.

If the character isn't online, and there are items belonging to them in the casting, why not have the game automatically move those items back to the original owners inventory.  This would keep items from staying in the casting just becuase people aren't online.  It would prevent the griefers from doing what I listed above as well as do the gms job of cleaning the casting. 

The only problem I see is the call from some that is method isn't "realistic"  My response:  It also isn't realistic that a character can just log off of the world they live in, seemingly dissappear from the world.  So what if it isn't all too realistic.  I don't think people would complain too much about a little thing of getting items returned to thier inventory if they get kicked or logged out, rather than stop all crafting due to the casting being full.

eldoth_terevan

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2006, 01:55:17 am »
Code changes are code changes: If one thing is fixed or added, other things may break. Two words: Let the people work. The magnitude of this project is practically unexplainable.