Author Topic: Question about posting policy  (Read 449 times)

bilbous

Question about posting policy
« on: November 07, 2006, 12:56:19 pm »
"# Contains obscenity, vulgarity, profanity or is sexually explicit.
Bypassing obscenity or filtering it by using letter, number, or character combinations is unacceptable as well. If you feel you absolutely need to vent, do it privately, do it elsewhere, or just learn some self-control."

How does this not apply to "WTF?" It apparently does not as a search for that term returns 13 pages of results.

I'm just asking because it is counter-intuitive. Are abbreviations allowed? Is this an exception to the rule or does it actually have an acceptable expansion that means the same as the unacceptable one?

Idoru

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Question about posting policy
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 01:03:48 pm »
Like wise 'Sh*t' gives 3 pages of results, you have a very good point. To me that classes as substituting characters to avoid the filters. Personally I have no problem with profanity at all, but as i have heard many times in my life, 'rules are rules'. just because the word is no longer complete does not detract from its meaning or from what people actually read.

"May there only be peaceful and cheerful Earth Days to come for our beautiful Spaceship Earth as it continues to spin and circle in frigid space with its warm and fragile cargo of animate life."

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 01:06:37 pm »
By "bypassing the filter" (when we actually had one) I generally mean using symbols to "censor" one letter in a whole word, as Iduro brought up. Do keep in mind however that mods may miss posts, that mods may go away for a few days (or weeks) and therefore not everything may be caught. Abbreviations like "wtf" I personally find.. harmless, maybe? It's been neutralized on the web in my opinion. I don't find the word "screw" (as in "screw this" or "screw you") to be offensive as well, nor "damn," but people have different stances. If the majority think that another word should be added to the censor, I'll comply :)

Usually I try to avoid stepping in unless the profanity is far too obvious and very aggressive, instead of a "wtf" said in humor.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Idoru

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 01:14:45 pm »
*cough* *cough*

did you spell something wrong then Kuryaa?  :P

"May there only be peaceful and cheerful Earth Days to come for our beautiful Spaceship Earth as it continues to spin and circle in frigid space with its warm and fragile cargo of animate life."

bilbous

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 01:36:05 pm »
I don't particularly care either as I use a lot of such things (verbally) out of habit myself (try not to blame my parents it isn't their fault.) If I had a six year old who asked me what it meant I would not like to explain it. Certainly it would be like cleaning the Augean stables to try to remove all 13 pages where it appears.

What if I start using dilligaf ("does it look like I give a f......arthing, ya thats it) or other more dubious acronyms?
It is the cliched slippery slope.