Author Topic: Event Channel  (Read 954 times)

Hadfael

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Event Channel
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2006, 12:49:15 am »
What is this whole concept of RP event? a theatrical show?
Then yes the troup needs to set the costumes, the casting and learn their roles.
That's where a publlic board ingame could be useful not only for casting actors but also to send the tickets.
A rather easy way could be to include a mozilla viewer in the client to access a secured and moderated board.
Maybe different boards for public annoucements, like shows to come but also more private ones for guilds.

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2006, 12:34:43 pm »
Hadfael, simply put, no. That could be one form of and RP event, but not the only way. 'Event' in this case is used to define something or anything happening ingame to some degree of being organized.. It could be a single event, such as a party, or storytelling gathering, or it could be a grand quest taking place over many weeks.

The ingame ooc RP announcement window would have categories as to what kind of RP 'event' it was, so as to make browsing them easier. The simplest and shortest category would be 'Rumors', where players just post what they heard, or other may have heard. This is easily explained how our characters may have heard something that the player did not RP in the game. Our characters exist while we are not playing (not in person, but in 'spirit'), so may hear things while we are offline. So, they may well have heard these rumors, or heard about some of the roleplay 'events' going on. It is up to the player to decide just what they do know.

Cha0s

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2006, 01:14:22 pm »
This may be a good short-term solution, but it will not work in the long-run. As PS expands, there will be tons of events, many of them garbage. It will be a pain to sift through. And then of course, it's totally OOC. If you legitimately hear rumor of an event, that's fine, but the "it's a rumor" excuse can only be used so many times.

No, in-game message boards (a lot of them) are the way to go. It's more realistic, and accomplishes the goal of in-game communication. The big issue in PS now is that there are not enough events. I know: I've said this a million times and done nothing to fix it. We're recruiting more GMs and working on running more events, but for now, everyone's just going to have to be patient.
Cha0s
Mac OS X Forum Moderator
In-Game Roleplay Forum Moderator
Please search and skim existing threads before posting!

Monketh

• Veteran
  • aka GovernmentAgent, CorporateAgent
    • View Profile
    • Niihama.ws
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2006, 05:27:18 pm »
Since we've directed away from an events "channel," I took the liberty to polish my idea and direct it to another thread.
http://hydlaa.com/smf/index.php?topic=26394.0
The key to manipulative bargaining is to ask for something twice as big as what you want, then smile and nod when you are talked down to your original wish. You are still young, my apprentice, and have much to learn in the ways of the force. -UtM

Pip

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2006, 01:27:22 pm »
 \\o//

I have a suggestion which would solve the problem in the short term (though it could become a big problem itself if too many events were occurring on a daily basis):

Use the petition system to ask for an announcement to be made giving date, time and place; the announcement can then be made on the appropriate day in the MOTD. That way everyone knows something is going to happen when they log in.

eg.

MOTD

Anonymous is holding a party today to celebrate his birthday.
Meet in Brado's Tavern, Ojaveda at 5.30pm gmt

Anyone wishing to take part in an event being run by Anonymous Guild
Should gather in the Plaza at 6.30pm gmt today

I would have thought that this is exactly how Message of the Day should be used instead of seeing the same thing for weeks on end, and by going through the petition system you avoid abuse.  :D