Author Topic: Poisoned items  (Read 838 times)

zhai

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Poisoned items
« on: November 18, 2006, 03:42:00 pm »
The idea is to have poisoned items that would actually kill someone without having to ask the target to use the /die command, maybe a poison vial or pouder you could use on food or other items a number of times. Then when you give someone else the item and they use it, you wouldn't have to go ooc to explain they've ingested poison and that they should die...

Different effects of poison would be more interesting depending on the kind and dose, like an instant effect or a weakening effect that would kill the target over time. This would allow the target to try and find antidote. You could craft the poison using alchemy or herbal or maybe if there were snakes you could "loot" poison from them.
:: The Flaming Feather :: Lady of the Rangers ::

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Poisoned items
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 04:49:40 pm »
An addition to this is a skill for poison detection. By smell, color or other sign it is sometimes possible to detect if something is wrong.
Would be fun to actually kill someone, without that person to agree ;P All you need is good trick ;>

What you can failure tommorow, failure today.

Better click for shiny stylez Help me with images!

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 05:13:06 pm »
Now all we need is a karma system to go with it. :)

zhai

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 05:15:46 pm »
Oh, yeah. We need karma to keep those who play evil for a day within their own roleplay... but that should be another thread :P

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 05:19:09 pm »
Indeed.

*starts to formulate all his ideas on the matter into one cohesive plan*

The Shadow Nose

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 12:08:43 am »
Yeah, that would provide a pretty nice level to interaction... of course it would be pretty tough to pull off on those of us who simply never eat.

(usually the only times I eat bread or apples are when I realise that I can't sell them conveniently. I don't think apples sell for anything and bread is worth less per weight than other loot. I just eat them because there isn't a proper garbage can in the city)

Funny that I just started playing Nethack again recently, having to constantly track down food to stave off starvation does add a bit of urgency not found in many games.

peeg

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 06:37:31 am »
I really like this idea. The same potion/powder/whatever could be used to poison blades to enhance the damage they do. The technical stuff for this feature is already there i think - the spell 'electro touch' enhances the damage of weapons too.

The only problem: Poisoned food could become very annoying for new and/or careless players.

* peeg imagines a new citizen seeing a tasty pie on the ground "Uhm... pie!"
[ PSde ] - Join the german community!
Peeg Chaoswind - Mentor in The Rangers Of Yliakum

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 06:55:41 am »
Ohhh, anyone played ADOM ? ;P It's a single player, but you char had to eat, or he/she died. It actually wasn't that bad, but sometimes maybe anoying.
When you have to eat, you have to keep care that when you travel somewhere far, you take care to take enough food with yourself, or be lucky to kill some beasts and hope it is possible to eat their meat.
At more basic level, it means that everyone have to earn money, even a bit. So people who spent their whole time here and there talking or roleplaying have to spent at least 1% of that time to earn somewhere some money. Not much, because food should not be expensive.

New players should have probably some newbie-protection for a while, to give them time to learn what is necessary for their character to survive.

What you can failure tommorow, failure today.

Better click for shiny stylez Help me with images!

bilbous

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 12:24:03 pm »
Actually not eating would not offer immunity to poison as there is such a thing as contact poison which is absorbed through the skin and then spread by the circulatory system.

zhai

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 02:15:00 pm »
* peeg imagines a new citizen seeing a tasty pie on the ground "Uhm... pie!"

in any case, giving a target the poisoned item would require a convincing RP. and dropping poisoned items would make people think twice before picking up stuff. makes sense somehow. would you grab a pie you find in the middle of the street? if you do, don't be surprised if it kills you.

Monketh

• Veteran
  • aka GovernmentAgent, CorporateAgent
    • View Profile
    • Niihama.ws
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2006, 05:24:07 pm »
Zhai, I am now going to forever remember you as the guy who made pie unsafe.

I think the among the community at large, there would be a lot of griefing.  Imagine if you struck a business deal with an alt of a player that hates you.  What's your recourse?
The key to manipulative bargaining is to ask for something twice as big as what you want, then smile and nod when you are talked down to your original wish. You are still young, my apprentice, and have much to learn in the ways of the force. -UtM

The Shadow Nose

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2006, 07:11:20 pm »
Actually not eating would not offer immunity to poison as there is such a thing as contact poison which is absorbed through the skin and then spread by the circulatory system.

Yeah, but that's mainly from something like pesticides or chemical spills or something. Like if you are working in a field with pesticides for too long the pesticides can seep into your clothes and then as long as you wear the clothes the toxin is slowly absorbed into your skin.

Hmmm... mind of reminds me about that 'Corrupted Blood' thing that happened in World of Warcraft.

Imagine if there were poisons you could apply to virtually anything.

Add it to food or consumables like potions and when eaten the person also gets poisoned.

Add it to weapons (the blade) and you can poison whoever gets struck by the weapon.

Same with arrrows or darts.

Add it to clothes or armor and they get a slow poisoning over time. Like if you put on a torso armor with poison on it, then 30 minutes after you put it on then you get a poisoned status as if you had eaten  poison item... but it never runs out as long as you wear the armor.

semi-related idea.

a disease that causes damage over time like a poison. but it tends to 'jump' over to nearby things to infect others. items you wear can become infected, items you hold in your inventory may get infected. People near you can get infected. (different diseases spread in different ways with different levels of contagousness).

Adding diseases could provide an added danger to make exploring and moving more of an 'adventure' than just a walk in the park.

Imagine going into the sewers knowing that you risk catching a disease as well as just facing monsters. (be sure to stay away from pools of stagnent water).
Keep plenty of medicines when exploring jungles and swamps (though not sure if they will be here). Also provides real reason why polluting the giant lake is a major crime. See various other lakes that are dangerous to drink and see why that one is so important to keep clean.

Would make antidotes and medicines a pretty good investment.

Auithianilize

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 03:45:32 pm »
On a related note, poisonous food is in-game now.

>You eat the mumble and feel bad.

Ouch.

Quitarias

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Sugested solution:Quarantine and/or death sentence
    • View Profile
    • A MUD gladiator game.Press link and level to make me rich.
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2006, 11:21:53 am »
how about if the poision didnt take effect instantly but a bit later because most poisons need to actualy come incontact with things
go figure eh 8) anyway some disseases should have litle if any effect while others make you weaker and in need of constant medical attention

<EDIT>

i was thinking some poisons spread by air and should be effective from a small range to give it less of a chance to grief these poisons could be unpurchasable and would require maxed herbal to prepare and also i think it would need something to activate with tell me if im not making any sense at all ill shut up now  :-X
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 02:49:15 pm by Quitarias »
Singned
  -One serious case of nuty.

bilbous

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2006, 11:41:23 am »
Any poison that is soluble in a liquid that can be absorbed by the skin can be made into a contact poison. The effect is uusally slower but it can be done.