Author Topic: What is silverweave?  (Read 756 times)

iceddragons

What is silverweave?
« on: December 04, 2006, 07:12:27 pm »
From it's name, it would seem to be woven silver, but I doubt that it really is such. I have several questions about it.

Can it be produced on Yliakum, or is the suply limited to what was brought through portals?
If it can be produced on Yliakum, who makes it? Trasok and Harnquist?
If it was brought through the portals, who brought it?
Is it perhaps an alloy made with silver and a harder metal?
(when implimented) Will it deal double damage against Ynnwn? I think it unfair that what is already the best gets a bonus against one race at no extra cost.
Does it undergo certain chemical reactions?

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: What is silverweave?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 07:14:06 pm »
Ynnwn have other advantages which supposedly ballance out the disadvantages.

As far as the other question, personally, I'm not sure that I really want to know.  A little mystery can be a good thing.
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

iceddragons

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 07:18:45 pm »
I know, it's just that silverweave is the best already. Does it really need a free bonus against the Ynnwn? Anything else would at least cost a few circles extra to get that same bonus.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 07:29:57 pm »
As far as I understand, silverweaves aren't meant to be the best weapons - it was a happy accident. There are several silverweave weapon types that have a "mundane" slash value, and the super-high ones are more than likely going to be lowered. Great weapons like that are going to be quite are in the future.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 08:12:12 pm »
Silverweave was -originally- intended to be a type of very strong cloth used for making thin armor. Somewhere along the line, that path got twisted, so it is now uncertain exactly what it is.

John80sk

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 08:42:28 pm »
Nothing seems to make much sense as far as building materials in game... for example, iron being better than steel weaponry, despite the fact that Iron is about as good of a material for sword making as bronze is.  Hopefully this will all be corrected when we get a more in depth crafting system.
Jangeol Bakieck the Scarred
Dameve Angelun the Insane
Ehatihen the Cowardly Kran

Garile

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Some people forget it's a game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 10:27:26 pm »
it was a happy accident

accident or miscommunication? Seeing it happened with both irons and silverweaves one would think the one who calibrated those two types of weapons had a different idea then the person(s) who did the the others ;)
Join the oldest cause.
Characters: Meriner(dead), Garile(dead), Yayelle, Ruicho, Almada

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 11:18:31 pm »
Nothing seems to make much sense as far as building materials in game... for example, iron being better than steel weaponry, despite the fact that Iron is about as good of a material for sword making as bronze is.  Hopefully this will all be corrected when we get a more in depth crafting system.

Iron is actually far more powerful than bronze.  Iron versus bronze weapons is one reason why the Dorians were able to displace the Mycaeneans in early Greek history.
Immaturity is FTW.

Auithianilize

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 01:49:45 am »
Eh? Far more powerful?
From what I've read, bronze was easier to forge, kept its edge better, and was stronger than that era's iron.
The main reason the iron- following the bronze-age, was the tin-supplies dwindling.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 03:38:31 am »
Eh? Far more powerful?
From what I've read, bronze was easier to forge, kept its edge better, and was stronger than that era's iron.
The main reason the iron- following the bronze-age, was the tin-supplies dwindling.

I'm not as educated on the specifics.  I only know that there were certain battles which some experts believe were decided by the kind of weaponry involved.  I tried to educate myself via google but I wasn't able to come up with much useful.

The availability of tin was a factor.  Bronze weapons bend while iron ones break, which might mean something as well.
Immaturity is FTW.

Syilph

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 03:50:38 am »
Iron is the last thing you want to make a sword out of.
It is a soft, maleable metal, that will rust like hell in any kind of atmospheric conditions. Depending on the composition of the bronze alloy, bronze might be far better than iron as far as corrosion and hardness is concerned. The "iron" swords that were better than bronze swords weren't iron at all, actually, they were eithe iron cast or steel swords, because of the fact that the melting process introduced carbon in the composition and, as a result poor quality steel, or some sort of iron cast [depending on the carbon percentage] were bourn. Steel though, should be faaaaar better than any metals or alloys mentioned above, and trust me, I know what I'm talking about since I'm a materials science engineer and I spent quite some time in front of microscopes and charts.
As far as silverweave weapons are concerned, I see it this way: The sword has a silver plating that should render it more resistant to corrosion, and in concordance, improve it's quality and slash because of the fact that the cuting edge, will stay sharp. And there might be some magic involved too. Let's not forget this is a game and normal RL rules don't apply.

Edit:
The availability of tin was a factor.  Bronze weapons bend while iron ones break, which might mean something as well.
Iron bents like copper. The fact that the weapons you are talking about broke, suggests that the alloy they were made of was iron cast [more than 20% carbon]. That is a very fragile but also a very hard alloy.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 03:55:26 am by Syilph »

RayvenD

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Feelin' the funk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 06:31:22 am »
I assumed it was more to do with the making process on the silverweave issue. when swords are forged traditionally the core and the cutting edge were made seperately and then soldered together, re-heated and tempered acordingly. I thought it may have been that silver was used as part of the joining of edge to core or something as i'd read similar ideas in some books, guess i was wrong haha.
Let it whip!

Hear me sing www.myspace.com/diamonddobb

iceddragons

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 11:40:58 am »
What I'm asking is what it is in an RP sense. Did that gladiator you fought to get it buy it from a smith for a large amount of money, or did his ancestors bring it through the portal?