Author Topic: Banned?  (Read 1839 times)

klausi

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Banned?
« on: December 06, 2006, 11:36:47 am »
I was playing planeshift and fought in the sewers Than I has to go away and I forget to log out of the game. The next time I came back, I was banned 30 days because of using scripts???? I haven't run any script and because I was away I haven't move! I didn't do anything.
If this is your practice to welcome new players, than I must say it worked. I feel welcomed  :thumbdown:

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Banned?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 11:47:22 am »
If you go AFK and your character is placed so that he/she continues fighting, in the eyes of the project leader that's not too different from botting.

Quote from: Player Policy
You may not be AFK (away from keyboard) and leave your character doing an action over and over by itself (e.g. fighting).

The only reason a ban must have been placed is if a GM saw you fighting, tried talking to you, appeared visible next to you, etc., and got no response. If you're just AFK somewhere, it's not an issue. Once your character is left for hours on "automatic mode," it's a problem. You can try reaching the GM team privately to discuss what happened on IRC: server freenode, channel #planeshift-gmtalk.

Also may be a good idea to read through the In-Game Support thread that is linked in my signature :]
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 03:07:43 pm »
If you stand around a spot where rats, gobbles, etc. spawn and automatically come to you, I can see where this would be a problem.  If strategically positioned, you can fight indefinitely while afk because when attacked you automatically go into a normal stance.  If you are too close to them they won't bother you, but in the right spot they keep spawning, coming to you, attacking, dying (if you are strong enough), etc.  GMs need to be aware that this is possible without scripting or botting.

When talking with Gorbiak the other day, I ended up fighting a steady stream of rats, rogues, and a gobble while I was just trying to have a conversation.  And we tend to be the pied piper down there...they all follow you as you pass.
--Overseer, Explorers Guild.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 03:49:30 pm »
Right, Mordaan :] Both the GMs and Talad know that this is possible without help from outside utilities, hence the clarification in the Player Policy about leaving your character fighting while you're AFK. There've been some suggestions on how to fix it, such as "AFK modes" - but even these can be forgotten if you must be pulled away from your desk in a hurry, so it's either that or don't let your character defend him/herself at all.

Syilph

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 04:00:56 pm »
The auto-attack feature should be soooo removed IMO...

Akaye

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Thread head that loves Strawberries <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 04:04:43 pm »
Quote from: klausi
If this is your practice to welcome new players, than I must say it worked. I feel welcomed  :thumbdown:

This is our practice of keeping botters out of the game. Unfortantly sometimes people get banned for leaving and being AFK for awhile thus leaving us to think you are a botter. We didn't do this to make you feel unwelcome. Getting mad at us Gm's because we are following rules isn't really fair to us either. We are doing our jobs.

I never did understand why people stay logged in when not there anyway. There are enough tools to prevent GM's from questioning if you are a botter or not ..... such as /away <your message> or how about not stand in a public area where in fact you could be attacked by an npc. Not standing near mining areas is also common sense. The best of all would be to log out. It is because people do not read or listen to the rules that these mishaps keep happening.
Zorbels: PS character
Links for Newbies:
Players Guide RP Guide PS Settings

Nurahk

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 04:16:39 pm »

Only problem is that if you lag near a monster.

That's what it's mainly for, imo.

klausi

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 04:26:28 pm »
To prevent this, planeshift could disconnect the players, that don't type a key. I don't think this would be a problem.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 04:30:07 pm »
It would, actually. There are some activities (like repairing weapons) that take a really long time to do - you can do those by standing around and not indulging in anything else. Long repairs aren't a problem because, unlike fighting, there is no infinite well of resources you can use over and over. You have one thing already in your possession and you're doing something to it. It can take half an hour or more - so to kick someone off automatically in such a situation would be a bad idea.

Janner

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 04:31:11 pm »
Me looks puzzled, how new were you, having spent many days and weeks in sewers, healing new, from just one attack from a rat, IS wondering how you were not killed?
Glad to help.

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 05:18:41 pm »

False. The static spawns need to be removed. Problem solved.

Tarel

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 06:06:31 pm »
I know that a player is banned today in the sewers.

The character i saw there, was fighting a long time with a rat.
Another GM was standing next to me, when i was checking the player for possible scripting.

I did a long check on this character.
I started with sending a nice amount of Tells to this person, without any response back.
From that point i started moving the character around the hallway, he was in.
I moved him outside the auto-attack range of the Rat.
I noticed that the player was still targeting the rat and started the attack himself.
The fighting with the rat continued, when i moved him back close to the rat.
The player was moved more then 6 times out of reach from the rat and back to the rat.
I warned the player to read his Tells and respond back to me.
I appeared visible in front of him and started talking and warning the player again.
But i still did not get any response, while the fighting continued.
After a few minuts i froze the player and banned him for 30 days.

The whole process took more then 20 minuts, because my client crashed in between.
And to be shure, that the player did not talk back, the other GM remained near the player.

I can tell you, that this player was not new at all.
If Klausi was this player, then his information, about being a newbie, does not align with our own official records in the server, although he registered in the forum today.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 09:49:37 pm by Tarel »
Greetings,

Tarel Barilele

Quote from DaveG: I've said it before, and I'll say it again, please don't blame the game when you screw up.

Proglin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 06:31:36 pm »
How do you forget to log of?

like... you go away... and... you forget....

me no understand.
yours, the entertainer

Syilph

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 04:43:18 am »

The auto attack feature only encourages "botting" and besdes it isn't realistic at all. Give me just one example where that is useful and I'll give you 10 more where that is useless, anoying and even geting in the way of certain tasks. For example, when trying to test the effect of some magic on certain NPCs, I couldn't because te stupid auto-attack made my char atack the monster and of course, kill it. Equiping 2 shields will not work because you need a free or an "armed" hand to cast magic.
Yeah, it helps you when you lag... well, not really, because you won't lag that much that a monster that needs to take 10 swings at you will kill you, and if you are attacked by a monster that kills you in one hit... well, you won't have the time for the auto-attack to kick in.
IMO, that is a perfectly useless feature that causes problems both for GMs and players.

Janner

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 05:09:04 am »

The auto attack feature only encourages "botting" and besdes it isn't realistic at all. Give me just one example where that is useful and I'll give you 10 more where that is useless, anoying and even geting in the way of certain tasks. For example, when trying to test the effect of some magic on certain NPCs, I couldn't because te stupid auto-attack made my char atack the monster and of course, kill it. Equiping 2 shields will not work because you need a free or an "armed" hand to cast magic.
Yeah, it helps you when you lag... well, not really, because you won't lag that much that a monster that needs to take 10 swings at you will kill you, and if you are attacked by a monster that kills you in one hit... well, you won't have the time for the auto-attack to kick in.
IMO, that is a perfectly useless feature that causes problems both for GMs and players.

First off not arguing here just answering your question, I am asleep some one hits me I wake up fighting, in context of game talking to another player , a assassin sneaks up on me, will auto defend my self would not you? Magic just tried it in game with a mug in one hand and a repair kit in other, could both cast heal followed by a arrow, magic is mainly the spoken word.
Glad to help.