Author Topic: GM events  (Read 6985 times)

Syilph

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: GM events
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2006, 05:38:02 am »
I think you are missing some points here, Janner.
First off, running an event has 2 aspects: the organising part and the event itself [or the "playing IC part"]. You are looking at these 2 distinct parts as one whole and that is quite wrong. While the organising part is completly OOC [like teleporting players, or explaining certain things trough /tells] the other is [or should be] completly IC. Now if we are to argue about "how IC everybody is" well... that is a subjective matter and regards the "competence" of the GM in question. We do what we can, and sometimes, the game mechanics get in the way. If you want GMs to be the perfect IC role players, you have to remember that nobody can be perfect, and certainly the few commands we have at our disposal to create a "close to reality" feeling in an event do not include a "bang your head against the screen until you'll manage to land in Yliakum right from the chair in front of your computer" command.
Second, we are people working with people and that isn't the easyest thing sometimes. You may plan an event with the thought that "people will think to do this and that" in mind but, in reality, they don't "think to do this and that" and, given the short ammount of time [around 4 hours for an event] you are forced to give an OOC clue, sometimes when no IC clues are availeble.
So, in conclusion, let's try an experiment: Try organizing an event, to know the "other side" of the problem, and then, in light of the new experience, criticise the GMs. If anything, at least you'll be more objective.

PS: Just because running around pets aren't implemented it doesn't mean that they can't run around. And following that line of thinking would get us to the impossibility of RPing anything because, if you think about it, RP, staying IC, cooking, drinking, eating, swiming, you name it, are not "implemented". RPing based only on game mechanics isn't RPing at all. ;)

Janner

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2006, 07:29:46 am »
 I am not saying you cant do what we all see pets in real life doing, just pointing out that as far as in-game pets go, it is OOC to see them doing it.
 Here is a example from my logs, of a pet being used in a spontaneous way.

(22:43:52) Mintset says: Phlipsy?
(22:44:06) Mintset says: Phliiipsy! where are you?
(22:44:12)(22:44:19) Mintset cries a bit.
(22:44:27) Mintset says: Phlipsy dear! where are you?
(22:44:58) Janner bows hello my lady
(22:45:07) Mintset sheds a tear "he he heello sir"
(22:45:28) Janner says: do you need help my lady
(22:45:43) Mintset sheds a tear or two "ow would you really help me?"
(22:45:50) Mickeal says: with want?
(22:45:57) Janner says: if I can my lady.
(22:46:04) Mickeal says: *what
(22:46:22) Mintset cries out loud 'Phlipsy! he's gone!"
(22:46:50) Mintset sobs and holds her hands in front of her face.
(22:47:12) Mintset says: My dear phlipsy! He just ran!
(22:47:14) Janner says: how is Phlipsy my lady and were did you last see them?
(22:47:18) Mickeal says: your pet?
(22:47:36) Mintset says: Not just a pet! A life companion he is...
(22:48:03) Mickeal says: where did you last see Phlipsy?
(22:48:24) Mintset sobs "I was just doing a bit of re...re...reading in the library...."
(22:48:33) Mintset says: and lost him there... *sob*
(22:48:54) Janner says: I will go look my lady calm yourself.
(22:48:54) Mintset says: he... he... was supposed to wait outside for me.
(22:49:03) Janner fairwell

(23:05:33) Janner says: have you seen a pet go by?
(23:05:44) Janner says: hello
(23:05:44) Nevis Revori says: Aye, hello.  Do you need something?
(23:05:50) Janner says: have you seen a pet go by?
(23:05:58) Nevis Revori says: Good day.
(23:08:10) Nevis Revori says: Good day.
(23:08:22) Nevis Revori says: Nice weather ey?
(23:08:29) Janner says: hello sir
(23:08:51) Janner says: have you seen a pet wondering olone?
(23:09:19) Nevis Revori says: youre the 2nd one that asks! es, I saw a pet with a pink ribbon walking through the gates... after sniffing a bag that reeked of fish.
(23:09:37) Janner says: thank you sir
(23:09:44) Nevis Revori says: he can't be that far.. it just happened.
(23:09:59) Janner says: thank you sir
(23:10:03) Nevis Revori says: I doubt he's anywhere near the river.
(23:10:28) Nevis Revori says: should I send more people to help you search?
(23:10:48) Janner says: I will go look outside thank you, if more ask yes please.
(23:10:54) Nevis Revori says: Alright, will do.
(23:11:00) Janner says: bye

(23:36:15) Janner says: hello
(23:36:19) Phlipsy says: ips ips!
(23:36:29) Janner says: come hear boy
(23:37:22) Janner says: come hear boy
(23:37:26) Phlipsy says: ips ips
(23:37:40) Janner says: lets get you back to you misteres.
(23:40:33) Phlipsy says: ips
(23:40:41) Janner says: come on boy

AT this point a rogue and rat caught up with me, out of stamina took ages to kill them.

(23:44:39) Phlipsy says: ish!
(23:44:39) Janner says: come hear Phipsy good boy
(23:45:01) Janner says: lets get you back to your misreiss.

(23:55:52) Mintset says: Phlipsy!!!!
(23:55:53) Phlipsy says: WEE!
(23:56:01) Mintset says: HURRAY!
(23:56:10) Miaua smiles broadly
(23:56:10) Mintset laughs and laughs and laughs some more.
(23:56:18) Strekie smiles: He was on the road with Janner
(23:56:19) Mintset says: Ow thank you so much sir!
(23:56:30) Mintset says: All of you! thank you sooo much!
(23:56:42) Mintset kneels next to Phlipsy.
(23:56:46) Strekie says: There's a little shiny octa for him to play
(23:56:48) Mintset says: helllo you!
(23:56:48) Janner bows glad to help my lady
(23:56:52) Mintset says: leaving me just like that!
(23:56:54) Phlipsy says: ips
(23:57:00)(23:57:03) Mintset pets Phlipsy and smiles.
(23:57:09) Phlipsy says: Wee!
(23:57:20) Miaua giggles
(23:57:22) Mintset says: all who helped... you all deserve a reward! you brought back my life companion!
(23:57:23) Irick smiles
(23:57:37) Janner bows fairwell my lady.
(23:57:42) Mintset says: Janner wait!
(23:57:53) Mintset says: Come here you!
(23:58:02) Mintset says: You got me back my pet! you deserved a reward!
(23:58:12) Mintset smiles broadly and hands Janner a reward.
(23:58:16) Janner says: no thank you my lady
(23:58:24) Mintset says: No?
(23:58:28) Mintset says: Really no?
(23:58:33) Irick chuckles "you never change Janner"
(23:58:37) Strekie says: Don't be silly
(23:58:39) Janner says: iy was my pleser to help my lady
(23:58:52) Strekie says: You can never refuze a lady!
(23:58:54) Mintset thinks for a sec, then gives Janner a whopping kiss on the cheeck.
(23:59:04) Mintset says: then take that!
(23:59:04) Hulla says: lol
(23:59:09) Strekie says: Haha
(23:59:07)hehe
(23:59:11) Janner blsh thank you my lady
(23:59:12) (23:59:15) Miaua chuckles
(23:59:19) Mintset smiles and curtsies.
(23:59:26) Janner bows
(23:59:32) Mintset says: and you strekie, you deserved a reward as well.
(23:59:38) Mintset says: Here you are!

Sorry for bad spelling, but this I found to be realy great fun, and it was all IC.
Glad to help.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2006, 07:34:10 am »
I'm glad you had fun in the event, Janner. However:

I am not saying you cant do what we all see pets in real life doing, just pointing out that as far as in-game pets go, it is OOC to see them doing it.

You haven't explained why it is considered OOC by you. You're just repeating what you already said without offering an explanation, while everyone in this thread countered with one already. If seeing pets running is OOC, then isn't it OOC to RP sleeping when your model is standing upright?
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Janner

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2006, 07:44:38 am »
Example I summon my pet it stands there docent move, docent do much at all, in fact after a few mins it disappears, so in-game wise this is normal behavior, so to see a pet running around jumping is OOC. IN my imagination it is running around and doing all the things it would be reasonable to expect a pet to do. but the reality is it at the moment just stands there.
Glad to help.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2006, 07:45:48 am »
Doesn't that mean that everything you roleplay is OOC, except what is allowed by game mechanics? What point are you trying to make that is specific to GM events?

Datruth

• Hydlaa Notable
  • "You can't Squeeze Blood from a stone."
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2006, 07:47:51 am »
Janner, is there anything you don't complain about when it comes to GMs or the dev team?

Games Masters are meant to police the game, gently remind players they are doing wrong, and put them on the straight and narrow path.

This is but one duty of a GM - and every GM team in every game also has an events role.

There is more than enough players in game doing there role-play, that all can participate in.

So do you want to stop GM events entirely? I don't understand the aim of your post.

[...] instructions in plane chat [OOC] [...]

Whenever we have an event, we roleplay it. There's no "And then you go to NPC [name] and right-click to see the..." Yes, there are RP instructions. Players have to know what they need to do, right?

Pets running around and jumping [OOC], normal in game pets do not do this.[at moment]

I am seriously going to laugh at this point. You are upset because we liven up the game?

last but not least, special prizes, if they cant be obtained in game [OOC]

Isn't it great? :]

What's with all the attacks, he expresses his opinon, and yet you feel the need to laugh and speak to him as if he's a child.

DO YOU THINK THIS!!, HAHAHA, I'm going to laugh, .... well isn't that great.

Geeze Lighten up.

He wants a little more realism, that's all, and wants people to comform to the same rules you promote.

And i've never seen you make an event, so why are you so gung ho for them.

Step up and make a few if they're so GREAT!!!! in your mind.

~~Datruth
Truth To Disbelief

Quote from: svuun
I adopt Karyuu.  She might not be new but her skin is so supple, soft and n00b like....  :sweatdrop:

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2006, 07:50:53 am »
Good morning to you too, Datruth :)

He wants a little more realism, that's all, and wants people to comform to the same rules you promote.

Do you understand what Janner is actually saying? What rules are we promoting that we break when we have GMs running around as pets? Please elucidate, because I don't understand at all what you are talking about.

And i've never seen you make an even, so why are you so gung ho for them.

Step up and make a few if they're so GREAT!!!! in your mind.

Playing at Mister Omniscient again? ;) I've created, run, and participated in many many GM events, Datruth. Thank you though.

Janner

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2006, 08:16:47 am »
One more try.
Janner is bored sits on a bench, summons pet, after a few polite words spots a Outlaw run by, commands pet to attack, PET stands there, Janner picks up a stick throws it for pet to fetch, PET stands there. racking brains for something to tell pet to do, to late PET disappears.
This is at the moment is IC for my pet.

Janner is bored sits on a bench, summons pet, after a few polite words spots a Outlaw run by, commands pet to attack, PET runs after Outlaw rips him to pieces and returns to Janner side. Janner picks up a stick throws it for pet to fetch, PET runs after stick flooring any one in its path, as by now pet is bigger than a Urber, PET deciding stick is to small returns with Harniquist in his mouth.
This is at the moment would be OOC for my PET.
Glad to help.

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2006, 08:20:38 am »
* Parallo goes to sleep standing up.

If I did it lying down would that be OOC at the moment?
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2006, 08:21:22 am »
I think you just have a very unusual definition of OOC, Janner. And seriously no offense meant with this comment - I've just never encountered anyone with this mentality.

You didn't address a question that I asked, however, that Parallo brought up again - is it not OOC to throw a stick in the first place, or lie down on a bed, or sit on a chair at Kada's, or swim in a lake, or cook rats, or drink from a mug?

LARAGORN

• Veteran
  • Facts dont cease to exist because they are ignored
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2006, 08:34:47 am »
I have enjoyed a few of Karyuu's events, all IC and run very well. (thanks Kary)

I too am confused Janner, we all know the game is not finnished, we know that all things will be different, things will not be as static, they will be as realistic as possible. Pets will not just sit there, they will act like um... Pets. In this situation it seems you have a very limited imagination and that is not like you(I have read some of your posts).

I dont know, maybe we are missing something here, can you try to explain it differently to us?

Edit: while you were posting 3 others posted  ::|
will edit to fit

Edit2;
* LARAGORN sends his pet to micky dees for a mutton burger
* LARAGORN sends his pet to Harnquist with a note attached to his collar

which one is OOC ?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 08:40:43 am by LARAGORN »

All great truthes begin as blasphemies- SHAW
Adraax KCP Adraax Forum

Janner

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2006, 08:37:25 am »
Saying you are doing something is very different from actually doing something.
 My character can say he is throwing a stick, but we all know at moment he cannot throw a stick. so if he was to right now pick up a stick and throw it it would be OOC.
Glad to help.

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2006, 08:39:17 am »
So anything that one cannot actually do within game mechanics is OOC? That is certainly a strange defination of OOC...
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2006, 08:43:45 am »
Janner: I don't think you are using "OOC" to mean what everyone else uses it for. "Out of character" is used to differentiate between a person playing a character and the character; when out of character, the person is being him-or-herself. The opposite, when the person is acting as the character, is "in character." Using your imagination in roleplay is not being out-of-character. What OOC behavior may be in such a situation is using your imagination to make your character do something it wouldn't do normally, as set by its personality: for example making a character that hates water swim in a lake.

I feel like this misunderstanding of the term itself is causing the trouble here - like if in a conversation you would say "whale" and I think of the sea animal while you're trying to tell me about a teacup.

Rioth

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • The Dragon Council
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2006, 08:56:15 am »
Saying you are doing something is very different from actually doing something.
 My character can say he is throwing a stick, but we all know at moment he cannot throw a stick. so if he was to right now pick up a stick and throw it it would be OOC.

Not all races have skins at the moment.. Would you consider players playing those races in particular to be OOC?
Burning anger gets you do a howling riot...
~ Dragon Lord of The Dragon Council
Rioth