Author Topic: GM events  (Read 7019 times)

miadon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: GM events
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2006, 09:31:12 am »
OOC is running around talking about playstation 3.

Pets running around is not OOC as it is an IC action. It would only be OOC is the pet in question is very obediant or very sick, as then a pet shouldn't be doing its own thing.
- MiadonCam (Refresh page to see live in game Miadon Action!!)

Einnol

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Plakkem Hverrjanor Guild
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2006, 06:38:06 pm »
* Einnol bows to Janner.

Janner, I have to agree with everyone else on this.  I think what they are try to explain is that a little bit of imagination is needed in this case.  Try to imagine what your character sees as opposed to what what you see on-screen.  Your character can see things that you can not, if you let him.  It is all up to you.  That is part of role-playing.  In a pen and paper RPG, everything happens in your imagination.  In PS, there are things that you do not have to imagine because you can actually see them (characters walking, running, jumping, fighting, casting spells, etc.).  But, there are some things (pet actions) that still have to be imagined a bit, at this time.  The '/me' and '/my' commands help to bridge this gap.  Until more actions are animated and implemented, just be inventive when interacting with your pet.  For example:

Code: [Select]
/me feeds his pet a treat.
/my pet eats his treat.
/my pet wags his tail happily.
/me watches his pet run over and bite Harnquist on the leg.

That way, your character will 'see' these things and the characters nearby will as well.  ;)  The devs could spend the next 500 years and still not have mechanics for every possible action that could take place.  There will always be a little bit left to the imagination and that is one thing that makes PS so different from nearly every other computer and console game ever made.  The only limit is your imagination (and the settings of course ;) ).

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2007, 12:37:09 pm »
I am wondering, why do GM-Events always take place on Sunday? The last two I witnessed (Ulbers in Hydlaa and Rogues in Oja) where taking place on Sunday evening here. Lots of people need to work the next day, so I would suggest letting them take place on Saturday.

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2007, 12:55:10 pm »
Gm events are run when we have the gms around to run them we usually dont set a day or time to run them if we see we have the gms around and can run one we do. We do not care what day of the week we run them or what time it is.

Peacer

• Veteran
  • I've got balls of steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2007, 06:17:08 am »
I am wondering, why do GM-Events always take place on Sunday? The last two I witnessed (Ulbers in Hydlaa and Rogues in Oja) where taking place on Sunday evening here. Lots of people need to work the next day, so I would suggest letting them take place on Saturday.

I would have to agree with that... if there's enough gm's online for an event the day before... some important day... maybe they should wait so more people could enjoy the event
The Guardians of Power

left the game, looking in now and then to check progress, if you want to contact me use the email attached to the msn contact on this forum account

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2007, 11:56:26 am »
Whenever there are enough GMs online, events are run. This can be Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday morning, Thursday night. If you don't catch an event a few times, you may be able to join during others. Some events require a small group of players anyway.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

themule

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2007, 06:34:11 pm »
Janner i think you're mixing avatars with characters.

Characters live in a world, virtual, but as complex as a real one.

Avatars is what we see on the computer screen. Their abilities are greatly limited. That's true even in a complete game, and PS is far from complete.

Now, seeing the avatar of a pet, that usually stays still, run and display some intelligent behavior will surprise me, the player. None of my characters will be surprised. Pets in Yliakum do that everytime. We (players) don't see it, because their avatars are (yet) too limited to show that.

Characters do all the stuff people (and pets, if you consider them characters too) usually do in a complex world. They go to sleep, they wake up, they go to work if they have a job, or go to school if they are young. They can sit down, light a pipe and smoke a bit. If they are pets, they run around, hunt rabbits, even mark territory if that's their habit.

The avatars won't do much of those... they simply disappear when the player disconnects. They can't really 'sleep' (assume a position that seems comfortable for sleeping) or smoke. They cross rivers and lakes without getting wet, they run and fight just as good even when they are at 5% of health, and so on.

The avatars of pets are even more limited, for now. They just stay there. That's what you see, as a player. But that's not what your character sees. He sees a normal pet, not a still representation of it.

Nothing in the settings mentions weird, still pets. It seems reasonable to assume that pets in Yliakum are just like those in the real world, companions to their owners... just a bit more magical in nature (as everything is, in Yliakum), and with different shapes, of course.

BTW, it'd be fun to RP something like:
- have you seen my pet?
- no, what happened?
- i've got a terrible headache, i tried to summon him but i failed the spell and now only gods know where I sent him!  :oops:

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2007, 03:17:46 pm »
Yep! Hats off to Nilaya for that one.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Akaye

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Thread head that loves Strawberries <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2007, 04:05:27 pm »
I would have to agree with that... if there's enough gm's online for an event the day before... some important day... maybe they should wait so more people could enjoy the event

This is proof that no matter how hard we try not everyone will be happy. If you miss events, it is because you couldn't be there but that shouldn't stop the Gm's from running them at random when they can. We shouldn't have to have day timers and pencil in every character so they can be apart of it. We don't have that kind of time! They don't always happen on Sundays. They happen when we have enough of the team online. So when we throw them take the event as is and enjoy it. If you miss it at least be happy there are events being run.
Zorbels: PS character
Links for Newbies:
Players Guide RP Guide PS Settings

Datruth

• Hydlaa Notable
  • "You can't Squeeze Blood from a stone."
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2007, 10:46:05 am »

This is proof that no matter how hard we try not everyone will be happy. If you miss events, it is because you couldn't be there but that shouldn't stop the Gm's from running them at random when they can. We shouldn't have to have day timers and pencil in every character so they can be apart of it. We don't have that kind of time! They don't always happen on Sundays. They happen when we have enough of the team online. So when we throw them take the event as is and enjoy it. If you miss it at least be happy there are events being run.
<rant>
If we run them on WEDNESDAY at 3 AM it don't matter, as long as we got people on. :@#\
AND EVEN if the server is half empty, if that's when we can do it, Then by golly, WE'RE doing it then. :@#\
Be happy we're running events... :@#\</rant>

If you don't want to run them when it's most convienent for us, that's fine.
Turns out we run better events than you anyways, so if they were to disappear i wouldn't notice, most of the game might not notice either.
Just keep that in mind ;)

~~Datruth
Truth To Disbelief

Quote from: svuun
I adopt Karyuu.  She might not be new but her skin is so supple, soft and n00b like....  :sweatdrop:

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2007, 11:48:54 am »
What the hell? Is he serious? That's one of the most absurd things I've heard here yet.
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

LARAGORN

• Veteran
  • Facts dont cease to exist because they are ignored
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2007, 12:20:26 pm »
 ;D too funny  ;D

<rant>
If we run them on WEDNESDAY at 3 AM it don't matter, as long as we got people on. :@#\
AND EVEN if the server is half empty, if that's when we can do it, Then by golly, WE'RE doing it then. :@#\

Turns out we run better events than you anyways, so if they were to disappear i wouldn't notice, most of the game might not notice either.

~~Datruth

Speaking for the masses again, and you were doing so well.

Spontanious events are a lot of fun, I have been lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time, on a few occasions and had a blast. That is the point of the 'mini event' no notice, they just happen, at any time at any place. It is not the fault of the GM, that certian people are never around when they happen. They try to have events at different locations, they dont pick the location because certain people are there, it is picked because there are people there. Anouncements are ussualy made giving half an hour notice or more. The larger events are held when they think they can get the largest turn out, and they have the time. It is silly to think they are intentionaly held so they are inconvienient for people. Keep in mind this is a world wide game, many time zones, it is difficult finding a time that is suitable for all.
* LARAGORN shuts up and heads to the tavern

All great truthes begin as blasphemies- SHAW
Adraax KCP Adraax Forum

Quitarias

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Sugested solution:Quarantine and/or death sentence
    • View Profile
    • A MUD gladiator game.Press link and level to make me rich.
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2007, 12:37:00 pm »
<rant>

~~Datruth

Actualy i agree with him i mean no offense to the GM team your events are always good but theres always more story more fun and just more meaning to the player-made events and they are majority
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 08:38:31 pm by neko kyouran »
Singned
  -One serious case of nuty.

Akaye

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Thread head that loves Strawberries <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2007, 12:39:47 pm »
I agree parallo. It is also a display of how childish Datruth can be. He likes to think he is all that and a bag of chips, but what he fails to realise is he isn't taken seriously when he acts like that. Give thought to his post, he asks. Well my thoughts on it is ...... I think your being an ass for no reason, and you need to check your head.

Oh ya and Datruth just keep this in mind ....... I really don't care if your events are better or not. I only care that there are some taking place in game. I am not playing the who's better game. If you want to divide the community with the us against them mentality that is up to you but try not to include me in your insane rantings.

Quote from: Datruth

If you don't want to play the events when it is most convienent for the gm's, that is fine.  ::)

Quote from: Quitarias
Actualy i agree with him i mean no offense to the GM team your events are always good but theres always more story more fun and just more meaning to the player-made events and they are majority

No offence taken. You are just giving your point of view in a nice, respectful way.

I to have had huge fun in player events [Because I am not only a Gm but a player] and of course they seem more fun, more story and more meaning. That is because you players did the work to make the event happen and you have control over it. You can appreciate it, take pride in it and enjoy it with those who you enjoy role-playing with. Alot of the player events seem to be more for those who are involved in that group, which would make sense as to why they are more fun and relaxed to those particular people.

Just keep in mind that the Gm's have to do their events differently from the player events. We have alot more rules we need to consider and we are not just throwing these events for friends, but for the whole community.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 01:17:31 pm by Akaye »
Zorbels: PS character
Links for Newbies:
Players Guide RP Guide PS Settings