Author Topic: what about the Hell?  (Read 4508 times)

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
Re: what about the Hell?
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2006, 09:15:25 am »
Renaming a guild because it's name has "Hell" in it, is wrong.

That's too strict, and will lead to the destruction of this game.

People can ignore the hell, and automatically assume it's the DR.

We arn't stupid, and we shouldn't be treated like robots.....
* Datruth sees the word hell, "OHHH DARN!!! I can't RP now... SHOOT, My roleplaying is all messed up"

If you don't like the name, don't join the guild, it doesn't hurt you.

Anyone who feels the name of the guild should change becaues it's a bit ooc, is being too extreme.

And we all know, we don't need extremeists populating yliakum, which will, as i said, lead to it's downfall.

~~Datruth

Just because you name yourself Datruth doesn't mean that whatever babble comes out of your mouth is how it should be, my friend. If you want to state your opinion, fine but if you state it as the one and only option you're ruffling my feathers .. and I'm sure I'm not alone there. Opinions differ but they're all still opinions since we're all still players and none of us have the final word, with the exception of Karyuu and Neko.

*just had the urge to post that and won't go into the discussion any further since he already stated his opinion*
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

Idoru

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2006, 09:21:37 am »
*just had the urge to post that and won't go into the discussion any further since he already stated his opinion*

Which is exactly what it was, his opinion. Just because he doesnt place 'IMO' or similar before every post doesnt mean he is saying that what he claims is 'Gospel'.

none of us have the final word, with the exception of Karyuu and Neko.

And even when they do say things they can be just as wrong as anyone else and it is still only an opinion.... IMO :P

"May there only be peaceful and cheerful Earth Days to come for our beautiful Spaceship Earth as it continues to spin and circle in frigid space with its warm and fragile cargo of animate life."

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2006, 09:32:40 am »
An opinion of your superior is also called an order sometimes ;)
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

Idoru

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2006, 09:42:32 am »
An opinion of your superior is also called an order sometimes ;)

Its getting a little off topic now but if someone tries to order me to do something I may take it on board as a suggestion.

And I personally dont like the word superior as it not only implies but implicitly says that someone is better than another.

"May there only be peaceful and cheerful Earth Days to come for our beautiful Spaceship Earth as it continues to spin and circle in frigid space with its warm and fragile cargo of animate life."

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2006, 10:00:51 am »
I don't think anyone is going extreme about the hell word. its ooc and there is no doubt about it. The decision to change the name is up to GMs anyway, so going extreme for me wouldn't be healthy ;P
What i do instead is treat this guild members without respect in the best case. Since they don't want to RP, i don't know what they are looking in PS in-game.

What you can failure tommorow, failure today.

Better click for shiny stylez Help me with images!

LARAGORN

• Veteran
  • Facts dont cease to exist because they are ignored
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2006, 10:10:21 am »
I do believe this is leading to a double standard, as some OOC names are acceptable while others are not. It is difficult to say with certainty what really is in compliance of the settings do to the fact that the setting is not described in enough detailed to list everything. If there was a complete PS encyclopedia things would be much simpler.

Do we have a list and description for every life form in Yliakum?
Do we have a list of every raw material?
Do we have a list of all inventions?

These three questions alone create a great amount of uncertainty. Some might say ‘just use common sense’, common to what? I would ask. There are obvious items we know are impossible to exist like cars and computers (well at least as we know them), but there are many things we don’t know. Do we have giraffes or monkeys? Tadpoles? Snapping turtles? What about sharks or whales?

Yliakum Banking Network – do we know what banks are?

The Vespers of Laanx – do we know what Vespers are?

The Royal House of Purrty – do we know what royalty is? What is Purrty?

The Sheeple Foundation – What is a Sheeple?

The Imperial Scholars – Do we know what a scholar is?
Scholar word origin: Middle English scoler, from Old French escoler and from Old English scolere, both from Medieval Latin scholāris, from Late Latin, of a school, from Latin scola, schola, school.

The Exemplar Seneschal – Exemplar: The Exemplars is a fictional group appearing in the Marvel Comics universe. It was made up of eight humans -- Bedlam, Carnivore, Conquest, Decay, Inferno, Juggernaut, Stonecutter and Tempest -- who were empowered by the Octessence.  Seneschal

Elemental Light - Elemental can refer to:
Elemental, a creature formed entirely of one of the classical elements in mysticism, alchemy, mythology and modern fantasy fiction; for the usage of elementals in fiction, see elementals in fiction
Elemental (BattleTech), a type of power armor used by the Clans (BattleTech)
Elementals (comics), a superhero comic book published by Comico Comics
Elemental (Tears for Fears album), a 1993 album by British pop band Tears for Fears
Elemental (music group), a Croatian hip-hop group
Elemental (Loreena McKennitt album), a 1985 album by Canadian singer and harpist Loreena McKennitt
Elemental, a species in the Mortal Kombat game universe
Elemental (The Chronicles of Riddick), a fictional race that evolved from humans in the film The Chronicles of Riddick
Elemental (Dungeons & Dragons), a type of creature from the role-playing game
Elementals (Crash Bandicoot), a group of renegade masks from the video game Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex

As you can see we could pick apart almost every guild name and find a reason to exclude it. Is it the people behind the name that makes it acceptable or not, or is it the name itself?

In regards to ‘Hell’, I don’t think it belongs, but that is only my opinion. There are many others I don’t think belong either but others do. I guess it comes down to imagination, are we willing to look past the real world definitions and accept the words with new meanings as they are presented to us.

This post is not meant to offend anyone or single anyone guild out, I am only playing devils advocate.

Happy Holidays 

All great truthes begin as blasphemies- SHAW
Adraax KCP Adraax Forum

Idoru

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2006, 10:20:30 am »
Elemental (BattleTech), a type of power armor used by the Clans (BattleTech)

Thats the one we were aiming at in Elemental Light....

.... Just waiting until you are lulled into a false sense of security then we will Pwn you in our power armor lol :P

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2006, 10:42:37 am »
There is much in common with the real world and there are also many differencies. When taking a name or speaking about something, it is best to excuide all what is in RL but not in PS.
But this is causing many problems, because often we don't know what and how to say a thing. We don't have PS encyclopedia which would fill all the holes and the setting known to us is very lacking. But even if it was known, its like learning new language. It may be hard, is long and thus we can't except new people to know everyting at once. But also those people shouldn't create a guild or whole communities without knowing first the setting, because one day they may realise this doesn't fit the seting and then we have scream and pain...
But someone people just don't care, but even if, they are also needed in PS. I only don't like them being suprised about something nobody care about in other games except PS and few other games.

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2006, 11:39:35 am »
Maybe Knights of the Crystal was a bad example but I think you understand what I mean. I think though that it is safe to assume that we know the meaning of words regardless of their origins too because if they were excluded because they come from rl we'd not be able to speak. Banks and Scholars are, I'd say, acceptable. Granted the lore is a little bare at the minute but do we really need more for our guilds? There are plenty of guilds that do just fine within the settings.

Edit: What exactly does this guild have to do with "Hell" or the death Realm anyway?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 11:49:04 am by Parallo »
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Idoru

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2006, 01:29:15 pm »
Edit: What exactly does this guild have to do with "Hell" or the death Realm anyway?

That would be where my argument would fall apart. When I 1st saw them my initial thought was, 'There is a guild that thought 'Hell's Angels' sounded cool so they would alter it for their guild name'. And when I say initial thought, what I mean is the only one I had and the one that still is my current thought  ::|

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2006, 01:52:22 pm »
And while on the topic of guild names, and reasons for, do Elemental Light have an IC reason for the name yet?
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Idoru

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2006, 02:11:32 pm »
Yup, we thought it sounded cool... By that I mean our characters thought it was cool :P

Seeing as you said that, does the Dark Empire have an IC reason for its name? who is your Emperor?

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2006, 02:15:11 pm »
We had an Emperess but she left. Right now Chancellor Sangwa has taken over her duties till the time when a new Emperor is crowned.

Idoru

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2006, 02:23:41 pm »
And a reason for the name? :P

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2006, 02:36:01 pm »
Because it is there for 4 years and  there is no PS with no Dark Empire, like there is no PS without Kada-Els tavern ;P
Although i was always wondering why empire, since there was never loads of members i gues. But what can we except anyway, there are no ~10 000 members guilds.