Author Topic: Bronze Doors crash. Temporary FIX  (Read 6897 times)

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Bronze Doors crash. Temporary FIX
« on: December 30, 2006, 10:15:19 am »
Many are crashing in the bronze doors level due to the new particles system not working properly on some cards (including mine!!).

If you want to load that level, I've created a version totally without particles, so you miss the waterfall, the smoke, the torches, etc... But at least it should not crash.

Get it here. Remember that the updater is not aware of this level, so it will probably overwrite it.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Bronze Doors crash. Temporary FIX
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 10:20:00 am »
For many people it also seems to help to enable Vertex Buffer Objects in pssetup.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Datruth

• Hydlaa Notable
  • "You can't Squeeze Blood from a stone."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 10:47:35 am »
Many are crashing in the bronze doors level due to the new particles system not working properly on some cards (including mine!!).

If you want to load that level, I've created a version totally without particles, so you miss the waterfall, the smoke, the torches, etc... But at least it should not crash.

Get it here. Remember that the updater is not aware of this level, so it will probably overwrite it.

Thanks for the help Talad, great to see you on bro.

Since the Bd region has soo many important quests, i think this fix will be a must.

Hope you guys get the particle thing fixed soon.

~~Datruth
Truth To Disbelief

Quote from: svuun
I adopt Karyuu.  She might not be new but her skin is so supple, soft and n00b like....  :sweatdrop:

Peacer

• Veteran
  • I've got balls of steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 10:58:28 am »
Remember that the updater is not aware of this level, so it will probably overwrite it.

indeed, I've had trouble with this so I always take a backup, just rename the original first and put this in, then when you need to update rename the fix to something else and the original back to normal so the updater will skip it, and not download it again :p.

For linux users, just copy paste this into a new sh file, place the sh file in /path/to/planeshiftfolder/art/maps

Code: [Select]
mv bronzedoors.zip bronzedoorst.zip
mv bronzedoorstemp.zip bronzedoors.zip
mv bronzedoorst.zip bronzedoorstemp.zip

for windows users place these lines in a new .bat file and place the file in c:\path\to\planeshiftfolder\art\maps

Code: [Select]
rename bronzedoors.zip bronzedoorst.zip
rename bronzedoorstemp.zip bronzedoors.zip
rename bronzedoorst.zip bronzedoorstemp.zip

I don't know what you do in mac, but just remove the command for mv and replace it with the macs rename command xD

run the sh/bat file now before you download, and run it again before you update
after the update run this file again
The Guardians of Power

left the game, looking in now and then to check progress, if you want to contact me use the email attached to the msn contact on this forum account

LARAGORN

• Veteran
  • Facts dont cease to exist because they are ignored
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 07:57:35 pm »
This is awsome thanks :)

All great truthes begin as blasphemies- SHAW
Adraax KCP Adraax Forum

Bartholin

• Hydlaa Resident
  • May the azure sun always shine on you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 03:09:10 am »
works GREAT... who needs all them affects? no more lag for me baby..

and peacer
i just moved the old bd folder to the delete folder, and moved the new one to the defualt folder :) easy as pie... ;)
* Bartholin Has fun making a Dust Army!
http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j101/ninjaps2/Planeshift/ {PS ss}
May the azure sun always shine on you and your path be pathed with gold. I will miss you all. Good bye.

emeraldfool

• Veteran
  • Irish (adj.): Cynical; morally bankrupt
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio (or at least what I've bothered to upload...)
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 05:08:31 pm »
Deadly. I was just getting ready to go on here and complain about not being able to get it to work  :D

[Language warning!! -- Neko]

Zellgadess

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 04:26:58 am »
Had this problem and I turned the vertex buffer on in setup and it all works beaute!!

\"For You, Death Is But A Minor Invonvenience\"

Bartholin

• Hydlaa Resident
  • May the azure sun always shine on you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 05:30:34 pm »
Had this problem and I turned the vertex buffer on in setup and it all works beaute!!

then you had something else laggin you.. vertexx buffer is for magic affects not crashing you... if anything activatin vertexx buffers would slow your comp down more..

the fix that talad posted is for bd lag due to all the effects and such.. the download'ed map removes the effects and dramitcaly reduces the load on the graphics cards..

in short.. if you have a crap card like me... this is the fix for you :)
* Bartholin Has fun making a Dust Army!
http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j101/ninjaps2/Planeshift/ {PS ss}
May the azure sun always shine on you and your path be pathed with gold. I will miss you all. Good bye.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 06:47:50 pm »
@ Bartholin:

The particle effects did not only slow down everything - instead, they crashed my client. And I mean both the particle effects in magic spells, and the particle effects in the environment (water drops in the cave, torch flames, waterfall).

I used both - enabling VBOs, and using the new level without particle emitters. My report so far is:

- Using VBOs helped a lot about crashes when people cast spells next to me. But not reliably. I still crash sometimes.
- Only using VBOs with the original level did not avoid crashes at address 0x69732B## completely. I needed the reduced level too.

I have an ELSA Gladiac GeForce2 GTS with 32 MB video memory, and ELSA specific Nvidia drivers Build 4345. Newer drivers don't support GeForce2 well anymore. I'd love to provide more detailed information ... if any developer would tell me how I can provide them.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

AryHann

• Veteran
  • WonderWoman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 12:54:34 am »
@LigH, you can try to contact res2k on IRC or through email or CS forum exposing your status of the investigation. Otherwise, also acraig could be interested in your results, hopefully that the problems are just related on how PS is using the particle system. Anyway, the crash in magic missile and the bd area is as you state of the same nature, due to the usage of the particle system.
Bartholin can't solve the problem as you did because he doesn't have a Nvidia card and it seems that the VBO workaround helps just them and not any other card possessor.
AryHann

http://www.reflex.lth.se/culture/annelov - Virtual Annelöv -
Engine Dep. - One of Talad's Angels - Aka ww & Ahrijani's Goddess

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 09:54:54 am »
Just asked in #crystalspace:

'thebolt' would like to get a stacktrace from such a kind of crash. Unfortunately, I don't own a debug build.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

AryHann

• Veteran
  • WonderWoman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 11:05:39 am »
Just asked in #crystalspace:

'thebolt' would like to get a stacktrace from such a kind of crash. Unfortunately, I don't own a debug build.

They have got the stacktraces and they are pretty useless. They usually have just the line with the driver.dll and the memory address.
If he wants more you can make him point out on the crash and diagnostic files thread where there are some better crash for intel graphic cards.
AryHann

http://www.reflex.lth.se/culture/annelov - Virtual Annelöv -
Engine Dep. - One of Talad's Angels - Aka ww & Ahrijani's Goddess

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 12:17:14 am »
Would it be possible to get a similar map fix for Hydlaa, mainly the Tavern and the Temple?  My client also crashes there - especially in the tavern.
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Kaithro

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2007, 12:44:13 am »
Is there no way to edit the config files to turn off the display of particle effects?  I searched them myself by I'm not enough of a graphics terminology expert to know what to play with in there.