Author Topic: David Beckham signs with the Los Angeles Galaxy  (Read 772 times)

Datruth

• Hydlaa Notable
  • "You can't Squeeze Blood from a stone."
    • View Profile
David Beckham signs with the Los Angeles Galaxy
« on: January 11, 2007, 08:45:03 pm »
Here's the official link, i saw it on the news before i saw it on the internet.

http://la.galaxy.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20070111&content_id=81598&vkey=pr_lag&fext=.jsp&team=t106

This is a HUGE acquisition, we're getting, arguably, the best soccer player ever spawned.

The most recognizable athlete in the world, Beckham agreed to a five-year deal to play for the Galaxy, whose season opens April 8 in Houston. The deal to bring Beckham to America is thought to be the biggest in sporting history, with industry experts estimating the worth to the player in excess of $250 million.

Basically, he's getting paid, and paid well  ;D

"David Beckham will have a greater impact on soccer in America than any athlete has ever had on a sport globally," said Timothy J. Leiweke, president & CEO, AEG. "We are acquiring an individual that will not only be the best ambassador and the best role model for athletes and fans of soccer but the best example of what any athlete can and should be. David is truly the only individual that can build the 'bridge' between soccer in America and the rest of the world," added Leiweke.

If you didn't like soccer before.. i warn you... soon you will.
The most popular teenage sport currently is Soccer, it has the highest number of players, surpassing every other sport.
Now Beckham wants to convince the adults and kids, that this sport, which the rest of the world CRAVES, is something to be revered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Beckham is in Socal now, and i'll be looking to buy season tickets to the Galaxy games, Watch out world  ;) :thumbup:

~~Datruth
Truth To Disbelief

Quote from: svuun
I adopt Karyuu.  She might not be new but her skin is so supple, soft and n00b like....  :sweatdrop:

Gharan

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: David Beckham signs with the Los Angeles Galaxy
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 08:46:54 pm »
I heard he's getting 70k a day, that's just a ridiculous amount.

Robinmagus

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Pixies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 09:35:13 pm »
Best football player ever spawned? No no mate. Even if they couldn't pull off the cup, Ronaldhino is definantly a better player. Hell, Kaka is too. and saying ever, well, Maradona? Ronaldo? Zidane?  Maybe even that dude from equador, I can never remember his name...but yeah..anyway, YAY SOCAL!!

But wait, didn't the Galaxy have that one other "amazing" player? African american long hair...
Talamir - DeT, Dark Empire, etc, etc, etc.

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 10:04:27 pm »
Heh, Beckham has got a great deal here. LA Galaxy has paid a silly amount for a player who's well past his best, and who's defiantly not one of the best players ever, even for his position (maybe even in England, Steve Gerrard and Frank Lampard are probably better at their peak than he was, and those are just two of many great players). Maybe one of the most famous due to all the advertising, yes. It's the advertising which they've bought him for, not the football skill. However this isn't a bad thing, it's a great thing for MLS if he attracts the crowds. :)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 10:11:02 pm by Xordan »

Idoru

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 12:36:39 pm »
He was a great player, he aint anymore, he has been on the bench at madrid for ages now. He quit as england captain after leading us to a terrible failure last world cup. He didnt even play very well. Maybe he was ill, il give him credit for that. But suprisingly he is still worth the 1 million dollars a week that he is going to earn at the LA team. They are already planning on making millions from sponsership, a company already wants to buy the TV rights for any game he plays in. I personally think he will find it quite easy because to be honest, even though football is so popular at a certain age bracket in the US it doesnt really continue so the proffessional players arnt as great as they are in the rest of the world. Im basing this on having seen them play in the world cup, I saw one good player who really carried the team, some blonde guy, cant remember his name.

Im not sure how much it will improve the interest in the sport over there either, from what I can tell most men have no idea who he is, the women do because he is good looking and is always in LA and being in fasion mags. Other european players have also ended there careers in the US but not had much success at inspiring the masses either (george best is the only one I can think of atm).

But we will see ;)

Worst thing about it? His wife may end up with another record contract and pollute the airwaves once more :(

P.S. Datruth, did you know who he was before you saw the story :P

"May there only be peaceful and cheerful Earth Days to come for our beautiful Spaceship Earth as it continues to spin and circle in frigid space with its warm and fragile cargo of animate life."

Xordan

• Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 12:45:30 pm »
Actually, he might do all right as a player over there. He's still one of the best free-kick takers in the world so he's bound to net a few in this 5 years. By USA club standards, I doubt they've seen many of his class playing in MLS.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 01:09:54 pm by Xordan »

Idoru

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 12:54:07 pm »
That was what I meant by:

I personally think he will find it quite easy because to be honest

You can almost guarantee he will play in nearly every game, you spend that much money and you want to get its worth.

"May there only be peaceful and cheerful Earth Days to come for our beautiful Spaceship Earth as it continues to spin and circle in frigid space with its warm and fragile cargo of animate life."

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 12:57:11 pm »
Does any athelete deserve that money?
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Idoru

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 01:01:27 pm »
Not really Parallo, but its the income that they will get from him. Its just like spending 1M dollars a week on a big advertising campaign. and we will see if it pays off, they are currently the only team in the US that makes a profit so it seems they know what they are doing.

Xordan

• Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 01:11:47 pm »
Deserve? The world isn't about that ;) It's about what money is there and what people (the general public) will pay. Most of his income will come from his advertising rights and his 10% stake in LA Galaxy, not from his wages. His wages alone are big, but that's what the public will make available for him to be paid, by watching.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 01:13:26 pm by Xordan »

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 01:15:14 pm »
So he doesn't? Does any entertainer deserve rediculous sums of money? They don't make the world go around. They pass peoples time. Its absurd that they can get away with that when you think about it.
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Xordan

• Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 01:17:06 pm »
I don't think he particularly deserves or doesn't deserve it. It's the standard pay in his position. If he can get that much money, then well done to him.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 01:18:39 pm by Xordan »

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 01:19:57 pm »
I'm not asking if he deserves that compared to others of the same ability and profession. I'm asking if he, in your opinion, deserves that amount of money. Is it fair that he makes so much and people that do things worth more in the grand scheme get little.

Xordan

• Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 01:28:28 pm »
Deserves? Yes, because I can't see a reason why he doesn't deserve it. Is it fair when other people who do more in the grand scheme get paid so little? No. Is that life and the economy? Yes :P

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 02:10:32 pm »
He kicks a ball around a field and is revered for it. People like scientists further our understanding of the world and live in complete obscurity. I personally don't see how he can deserve it.