Author Topic: Rocky Kran  (Read 1117 times)

glodin

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Rocky Kran
« on: January 21, 2007, 08:43:59 am »

I did not like the Kran to be bright blue, so I changed the skin to make them look more like the one on  the loadingscreen. If you want have it, post here. I'll upload the files somewhere if there are enough people interested.

BTW: I red some of the articles concearning skinning and modeling. I do not want to get my skin(It's just recolored after all) into the game, it's just something I like better than the original and I like to share it with others.

Narure

Re: Rocky Kran
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 11:55:33 am »
I'd love to see it ingame, not so sure if id have it as an alterative to the original and obviously it cant be in game as another skin now because its on the forums so :(.

glodin

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 12:23:09 pm »
I'd love to see it ingame, not so sure if id have it as an alterative to the original and obviously it cant be in game as another skin now because its on the forums so :(.
You would like to see it ingame but you dont want to have it as alternative for yourself ??? ? If you like it, you can have it, if not, you dont have to. Why cant it be ingame anymore?(not that I intended it anyway)

P.S.: I see my thread has been moved to fan art. Sorry, should have thought of this ...

Inca Sator

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Was born in USSR
    • View Profile
    • inca.my1.ru
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 12:32:40 pm »
Hmm.. i think that this color of skin is more realistic and  more organic then thi original one by sight. Didn't think about it before, but your skin is much better :)
And notice how it looks with kran's blue eyes - excellent.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 12:35:42 pm by Inca Sator »

Narure

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 01:46:12 pm »
I would like to see it ASWELL as the current one. Not instead by changing the file. After you have showen it in public it cant officialy be part of the game.

zorbels

• Forum Addict
  • Screenshot Queen of PS - EX GM - Strawberries <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 02:11:09 pm »
I think it looks fantastic, except for the eyes. I think they would look better white or another light color. The blue you have now makes him look cartoonish. It doesn't flow well with the rocky appearance. Blues and grays can be tricky that way if you are trying to incorporate them together. Otherwise the krans new skin seems much more realistic to me. Nice work.  :thumbup:
   I've been outside, it's overrated and the graphics suck!

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 02:17:58 pm »
It looks like mud. I'm not sure how it makes it more realistic.
I don't know... Somehow it doesn't amaize me. Maybe i'm wrong but it looks like 80% of the job was color shift and saturation change.

What you can failure tommorow, failure today.

Better click for shiny stylez Help me with images!

Baldur

• Veteran
  • Disillusioning since 1989
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 02:46:52 pm »
I think it looks fantastic, except for the eyes. I think they would look better white or another light color. The blue you have now makes him look cartoonish. It doesn't flow well with the rocky appearance. Blues and grays can be tricky that way if you are trying to incorporate them together. Otherwise the krans new skin seems much more realistic to me. Nice work.  :thumbup:
Perhaps an organic light green bordering white?

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 03:01:49 pm »
After you have showen it in public it cant officialy be part of the game.

Well, if someone presented a level/model/whatever which was of really good quality then I doubt we'd not use it if it was offered to us, and fit in with our plans.

Inca Sator

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Was born in USSR
    • View Profile
    • inca.my1.ru
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 03:57:14 pm »
Of course it was just a simple hue, saturation and etc modification. Blue eyes reminder the movie "Dune". Just add to eyes pupils - it will be perfect.

Mentak

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 04:38:42 pm »
Lol yeah. It's a Freman Kran!

glodin

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 07:25:03 pm »
Thanks for the comments guys. But it's infact no big deal, just a recolored version of the originial skin. My time effort for this was about half an hour, while most time was spent on finding out where to find the textures and how to get dds files open with gimp. All praise goes to the original designer. However I was surprised that something acceptable came out of this. About the eyes, I like them this way :P. Makes them look more like the kran on the loading screen and mysterious. And dont forget: This creatures have been made directly by the god talad. Their  lifeenergy, taken of the azure crystal, is shining through their eyes.  ;)

P.S. The spice must flow!

edit:
I also tried to make another skin for the Dermorian race. This time I done a bit more than just recolor. Well .. the result is not really convincing, but you can take a look if you like:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 07:00:38 pm by glodin »

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 01:20:31 pm »
That seems to require a registration and a login :} Anyway you can just upload the screenshot to a place like ImageShack?
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Gentar

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 03:11:43 pm »
My guess would be that it wont be too long before there is a set of kran textures to choose from in the near future. Youll notice that nearly all of the graphical additions lately have been in the texture department. In other words, I wouldnt worry about whether its in game or not. People tend to forget that this project isnt done, and seem to believe that graphics devs look these things over.

glodin

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 07:05:09 pm »
My guess would be that it wont be too long before there is a set of kran textures to choose from in the near future. Youll notice that nearly all of the graphical additions lately have been in the texture department. In other words, I wouldnt worry about whether its in game or not. People tend to forget that this project isnt done, and seem to believe that graphics devs look these things over.
Do you know what is planned in char customization for the near future? I hope there will be more than jsut some sikins to choose from. Imagine you dont need the labels anymore to recognize a char ...  :love: