Author Topic: Anyone else suffer from procrastination?  (Read 5034 times)

emeraldfool

• Veteran
  • Irish (adj.): Cynical; morally bankrupt
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio (or at least what I've bothered to upload...)
Re: Anyone else suffer from procrastination?
« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2007, 01:27:01 pm »
Its not his fault you read that into what was said, wich is clear that is not what he meant.
Yes it is. Because that's exactly what he was stipulating. He never once resigned to the fact that year-long addictions are rare.

And yes there are addictive personalities, period.
I don't think there are. And since it's currently an ongoing debate, I don't think you can 'period' anything.

Taking any drug that plays with pathways in the brain, IMHO, is an extremly dangerous game.

So is brain surgery. Which would you prefer?

lordraleigh

« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2007, 01:29:44 pm »
I would prefer headbanging ! It really mess with your head dude! And it rocks! Brain surgery and psychiatric corporate drugs sucks!  ::|

emeraldfool

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2007, 01:34:21 pm »
I would prefer headbanging ! It really mess with your head dude! And it rocks! Brain surgery and psychiatric corporate drugs sucks!  ::|

Where do you come out with this stuff? :P
I mean, why would you look up an article on head-banging in the first place?

bilbous

« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2007, 01:54:48 pm »
It seems pretty obvious to me he looked it up in order to be able to cite it and the conversation had drifted towards the practices of people whose sanity can be brought into question -- sad people on various drugs (and their problems), nutty God-complexed doctors who treat them and psychopathic CEOs whose companies provide the treatments. Indeed procrastination also can be considered a sign of mental stability if one wishes to relate the topical drift back to its origin.

It is often difficult to surmise the purpose of a thread topic just from its subject line as they are brief of necessity and cannot delineate the direction the discussion may follow with any great precision.

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 11, 2007, 02:20:03 pm »
I expected that way earlier  ;D
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

lordraleigh

« Reply #110 on: February 11, 2007, 08:20:21 pm »
Don't worry about procrastination people. Sooner or later one of the corporation$ will launch a new psychoactive drug that reduces tendency to procrastinate... but has addiction as a side effect.  :thumbdown:

Akaye

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Thread head that loves Strawberries <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2007, 12:01:45 pm »
Quote from: emeraldfool
There's no such thing as an "addictive personality". At least, that's what I was taught. There's people who may have insecurities, or dependency issues, or were raised to believe 'drugs are the answer', but there's no such thing as someone who was born to be an alcoholic/druggie.

It doesn't have to be alcohol or drugs a person is addicted to. They can also develop this type of personality. You don't have to be born with it. (Just those statments tell me you know nothing about it) I have had some experience with people who have this sort of personality disorder. I have seen it with my own eyes, I know it to be true. Whether you believe it or not matters not to me, but there are many professionals out there that will strongly disagree with you. Unless you have done extensive research on this, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.
Zorbels: PS character
Links for Newbies:
Players Guide RP Guide PS Settings

LARAGORN

• Veteran
  • Facts dont cease to exist because they are ignored
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2007, 03:23:07 pm »
Addictive Personalities can come from people in all walks of life, this is an interview with an Addicted scientist

Take a test to see if you have an Addictive Personality.

Research suggests that people who become addicts tend to share certain key characteristics, such as a brain chemical imbalance or an unhappy childhood, that put them at risk. "It's not [that] if you have a specific gene you're going to be an addict, [and if] you don't have the gene you won't. Rather, some people might have a low risk factor [for addiction], and others might have a very high risk factor," says Robert Forman, Ph.D., an assistant professor of psychology in psychiatry at the University of Pennsylvania and the author of "Consuming Passions."

All great truthes begin as blasphemies- SHAW
Adraax KCP Adraax Forum

Freddo

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 08, 2007, 10:24:16 am »
Suffer from procrastination?   Mmm...  that's a tricky one.   I'm fairly sure I do, but maybe it's just indecision.   I'll answer tomorrow.

Anyway, why put off until tomorrow what you can do today? If you enjoy it today, you can do it again tomorrow.

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 08, 2007, 11:08:53 am »
Doing something now pays off in the long run but putting it off is instant gratifaction!
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Garris Shrike

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • The Mad Irishman
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 08, 2007, 11:13:25 am »
Do I suffer from procrastination? I'll tell you later....
Garris Shrike.
A lady's man. That lady's friend's man. That lady's friend's sister's man.
He will be missed.
M. R., also known as Lurch

emeraldfool

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 08, 2007, 01:31:59 pm »
Addictive Personalities can come from people in all walks of life, this is an interview with an Addicted scientist

Take a test to see if you have an Addictive Personality.

Ugh, what BS. "A test for addictive personalities!! Question: Do you have an addictive personality. A) Yes, B)No. You have selected A. Based on our finely-tuned psychological profiling system, we have determined that you are an addict, and should pay $150 an hour for counseling. Here's some links to some of our professionals: gdeeppockets@lifetimepsy.com, griftadoc@lifetimepsy.com, etc." :P

And did you read that interview transcript, or did you just slap it on because it had 'addiction' and 'personality' in the same sentence? It is describing addiction, not 'addictive personalities'. It's referring to the personalities of addicts, and not the concept of a predisposition to addiction inherent in one's psyche. Addicts tend to think alike - obsessed with getting a fix - but that's after they get addicted. What we're talking about is someone who's more likely to get physically addicted to something than someone else simply because of a part of their mind/personality.

It's true that certain mindsets/personalities mean certain people are more likely to seek-out drugs, and use it to escape their troubles, but that's outside influence (i.e. whether or not it's because you're depressed over a rough break-up has nothing to do with your subconscious being), and not a reflection of an inner yearning for being addicted.

I think that's where the misconceptions stem from - people don't really grasp the difference between someone who's just depressed (or any other affliction that may drive them to addiction), and someone who's otherwise completely normal except for an inexplicable weakness for becoming addicted to things.

It's a nice way to stay in denial: "No, there's nothing mentally wrong with me, I just have one of those addictive personalities, that's what. I mean, if I was depressed or something I'd know, right?" But ultimately, there's always another reason why people can't stop doing something. Deep down.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 08, 2007, 05:52:05 pm »
It's referring to the personalities of addicts

"Addictive personality" means you're someone who is likely to become an addict.  It does not refer to the general personality of addicts.
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

emeraldfool

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 08, 2007, 06:10:02 pm »
It's referring to the personalities of addicts

"Addictive personality" means you're someone who is likely to become an addict.  It does not refer to the general personality of addicts.

Very good, Zanzi. You get a wollypop :P

Next time read the whole post. Or maybe even the preceding sentence of the one you're quoting. Or just the rest of the sentence:
"[The interview cited by Laragorn]'s referring to the personalities of addicts, and not the concept of a predisposition to addiction inherent in one's psyche."

The interview describes the thoughts and motivations of someone 'addicted to science' (aka a 'workaholic'). Which is irrelevant, like you said.

Drey

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 09, 2007, 10:11:55 am »
Myself:  I'm pretty sure I have a bad case of it.  When I have something of a work-related nature that I want to accomplish, I tend to stay up late working on other things or sometimes just goofing off.  I don't go to sleep because I know I should be doing the thing I'm avoiding.  My hours get switched around from time to time as a result depending on where I am in the week.

^ That pretty much sums up how I spend my time. It all gets done in the end though.
<Rux> i wish i could say that narrows it down, but the internet is one freaky place