Author Topic: Wipe vs. Character Names  (Read 1611 times)

Tolol

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Wipe vs. Character Names
« on: February 01, 2007, 10:11:13 am »

Well, be sure I tried to find out, but searching for information about a wipe is not easy ... I got many results but none of them answered the question that is burning in my head.

For the first time in my short playing time on PS I today, was forced to think about what it means if a wipe happens.

I read about money-wipes, item-wipes and so on ...

I'd have no problem with loosing my stats, my money, my items !

I wouldn't complain ...

But what I'm really scared of is loosing my name ...

The name Tolol was born about 15 years ago when I for the first time in my life entered an INternet-Chatroom and from that day on I used it in many chat-rooms, forums, online games ... etc ... etc ... nearly all around the internet I was known as "Tolol".
I am sure you can imagine how happy I was when I found out that I could register "my" Tolol on PS.

What will happen when the "big" wipe comes and even character names are wiped ?
What if a Jerk thinks he would like to be called Tolol and registers the name before I can do ?

Do I have somekind of a claim on my name ?

Would be nice if anyone could take this fear out of my head.

Thank you

Tolol

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
Re: Wipe vs. Character Names
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 10:16:57 am »
Important: All Characters Will Be Wiped in the Near Future

If there are any (nontechnical) problems with the character creation process, please contact a Game Master, explaining the situation, and they will do all they can to help you. (i.e The name of your character has been taken by somebody else, your guild has been created by someone else... etc.)

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 03:56:43 pm »
We've had wipes where we lost our stats and our inventories.  We also had a wipe where EVERYTHING was lost, including all our characters and guilds.  It just depends.

There were a few individuals who stole character names and guild names after the full wipe.  Game Masters stepped in and returned the monikers to their original owners.
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Tolol

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 04:02:16 pm »
Well, Thank you ...

This sounds like I shouldn't be afraid of a wipe ...

Thanks

Mezasa

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • tefrik.net
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 04:04:02 pm »
Err, I haven't played in a while, so this is confusing me.  Was there a wipe recently or something?
X2 3800+ (2.5GHz) | eVGA 7900GT (500/1500) | 2GB XMS (210MHz)
Audigy2 ZS | A8N SLI Premium | 250GB SATAII | TT Tsunami

peeg

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 04:07:03 pm »
Welcome back!
You should read this thread to get an idea of what's going on.
Basicly some cheaters rushed in :(

Greetings
[ PSde ] - Join the german community!
Peeg Chaoswind - Mentor in The Rangers Of Yliakum

Mezasa

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • tefrik.net
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 04:13:23 pm »
Ah, so the wipe hasn't actually happened at all yet, that's good.  I just wanted to make sure my character was still safe for the time being, because I'd hate to lose him (I've had him since '03  ;D).  I recently formatted and don't have the game, nor do I have the means to download it just yet either, so I'm glad all is well for now!
X2 3800+ (2.5GHz) | eVGA 7900GT (500/1500) | 2GB XMS (210MHz)
Audigy2 ZS | A8N SLI Premium | 250GB SATAII | TT Tsunami

Bartholin

• Hydlaa Resident
  • May the azure sun always shine on you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 07:38:57 pm »
idk.. new name = new chance to rp. prevents persons from taking ooc matters and turning them ic matters.. know what i mean? of course you dont.. ANYWAY.. i dont plan on keep this name if a full reset comes along... JUST to tell you ;)
* Bartholin Has fun making a Dust Army!
http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j101/ninjaps2/Planeshift/ {PS ss}
May the azure sun always shine on you and your path be pathed with gold. I will miss you all. Good bye.

Seytra

• Forum Addict
  • No system can compensate lack of common sense.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 08:51:05 pm »
idk.. new name = new chance to rp. prevents persons from taking ooc matters and turning them ic matters.. know what i mean? of course you dont.. ANYWAY.. i dont plan on keep this name if a full reset comes along... JUST to tell you ;)
<TJPM=full>Hmm, I think I know what you are talking about. I routinely screw people over, then create new characters and pretend to be someone new. It's quite a laugh to "befriend" the same morons once more, then hear them whine to you about what you did to them just a few days ago! Can't really get enough of that! Oftentimes they fall for the same trick again and again! Well, their fault, after all, people can be expected to learn, no?<TJPM=off>

BTW, "TJPM" is "Total Jerk Pretense Mode".

Regarding the OT, I don't really get the idea of using the same name for every game that I play. After all, you're playing someone, no, something else every time, anyway. With "Tolol" this doesn't really matter (even though, to me, it sounds like "to lol"), as it's pretty generic. Still, it would feel wrong (to me) to RP a medieval char and use the same name for an FPS. Your choice, obviously, and I do acknowledge the desire to keep a name once it was established in PS (as long as it is acceptable, that is). Anyway, as has been said, inappropriately taken names will be handed back to the original bearer (which, overall, worked surprisingly well last time, mabye because people seem to be more keen to not keep their name?), so I don't see reason to worry about that.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 09:17:08 pm »
Seytra, Seytra, Seytra... when will you learn that most people don't use alts to cause trouble?
Immaturity is FTW.

Garile

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Some people forget it's a game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 03:07:26 am »
They don't?

Most people don't use alts to often. Not really that sure that most of the people who use them a lot don't misuse it sometimes aswell. Can't count the number of guildspies I have captured with several guilds where it was obvious if not proven that it was an alt :P
Join the oldest cause.
Characters: Meriner(dead), Garile(dead), Yayelle, Ruicho, Almada

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 03:15:39 am »
Hmm.  I only knew of one spy in the DE who was causing problems, Serem.  My god that guy was a jerk.
Immaturity is FTW.

Tolol

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 04:34:41 am »
With "Tolol" this doesn't really matter (even though, to me, it sounds like "to lol"), as it's pretty generic. Still, it would feel wrong (to me) to RP a medieval char and use the same name for an FPS.

sounds like "to lol" ... "pretty generic" ?

Well, go on and I think I will soon dislike my once loved name ... the name I carried through my internet-lfe .....

btw. I have never and I think I will never play FPSs ...

/edit

... this may sound a bit fussy and nitpicking ... but, sorry, I like the Name ...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 04:58:30 am by Tolol »

emeraldfool

• Veteran
  • Irish (adj.): Cynical; morally bankrupt
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio (or at least what I've bothered to upload...)
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 09:28:15 am »
It's hard to come up with a truly ingenius name with multiple layers of ambiguity that hasn't been taken by someone else...

But Barty's right... people DO seem to make decisions about IG characters based on their impressions of the player behind them. Especially when the character has the same name as their forum profiles.

Valorius Rageway

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Champion duelist of the realm
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 02:19:48 pm »
Welcome back!
You should read this thread to get an idea of what's going on.
Basicly some cheaters rushed in :(

Greetings

Based on my understanding of events, "rushed" is definitely not the right term. "Crawled in at a snails pace after first announcing the route they were going to use" is far more like it.

Sometimes when you're bent over holding your ankles just asking for a kick in the tail, there is a guy there all to happy to do it. This was one of those times.
Queen and leader of The Order of Daggers