Author Topic: new combat style  (Read 7637 times)

Rongar Elani

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • "post count +1" ~~Neko Kyouran
    • View Profile
    • Guild forums of 'The Awakened'
Re: new combat style
« Reply #150 on: February 10, 2007, 06:13:01 pm »
PLAYER fight, and NOT the game.

Just my two tria

Sorry.. I have to disagree...
In my opinion should GAME fight... cause its RPG, where depends on character's skills, not on players.
Its not realistic, when weak character, but skilled in PvP kills someone trained, just cause OOC reasons and player's PvP knowlidge.

For player's skills are here 3D shooters games...

Just my opinion...

Youre right, its a roleplaying game. so I want to be the one, who roleplays my character. Of course, I cannot control every action of my character, some things have to be controlled by the game itself, how good you block an attack, how hard you hit, your success in dodging... all this is related to your stats and skills and it also should be, since this is an RPG, a genre, which always demanded the use of those. but there are other games, like Elder Scrolls: Oblivion for example. You decide, when you slash, and you decide, when its time to rise your shield, you run around and use the environment to your advantage, etc... . Im not saying "hey, lets advice the devs to copy this or that game's combat system", but why not saying "lets lookout for elements, that have been successful and interesting in other games", in order to be constructive in this thread.

Personally I would like to hit my shortcut and slash, I would like to hit another one and rise my shield. Not implemented yet, i know :), but your weapons would do that job too and until shields are fully implemented to the game, it should also be possible, although not very realistic, to block an axe, with a dagger.

The best combat system, is a good-balanced one between character skill AND player skill, if you ask me, and the the previous PS combat system, did offer you that. If you werent good in one of the 2 skills, it might have happened, that youve been owned by another player. But both skills were trainable, and it was so much fun, to develop both of them and to reverse the outcoming of a fight against your "owner".

Again: It shouldnt be only one of the two skills, that dominate a combat system.

@Datruth: Please calm down mate, i know how you feel, a dream would come true, if we got the old system back, but getting excited like this, is not a solution to our current position, it just makes the people ignore you or laugh at you, for getting pissed that easily. Calm down, and lets talk, not argue. And I want to make this suggestion not only to Datruth, but to everyone posting here.

A w a k e n!

Roahn

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 10, 2007, 06:13:06 pm »
What is wrong with that thing sitting above your shoulders karyuu.
Did your parents teach you nothing but how to lie?
Who faked?

God, sometimes you just irratate me to death. :thumbdown:

~~Datruth

Datruth,

I'm so glad to see that you have learned to be less aggressive, hostile and insulting now. Do you realize that when you throw insults and call names, people will ignore your arguments?

I believe Karyuu is refering to the one named "ewbhjfbweij" that signed your petition. I doubt that is a real person.

-Roahn

Gharan

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 10, 2007, 06:14:37 pm »
Roahn read back and learn.

Nurahk

« Reply #153 on: February 10, 2007, 06:14:40 pm »
I love how PlaneShift forums seem to be becoming a place for players to whine.

The old system isn't what the devs wanted.  I don't see any point to discuss it further.
I understand the frustration but, at the same time, it's something you have to get used to.

As for the petition, sign your real name, it's how petitions work.
Try bringing a petition somewhere with a name like that on it and you will be laughed at and the signature ignored.

Datruth

• Hydlaa Notable
  • "You can't Squeeze Blood from a stone."
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 10, 2007, 06:14:49 pm »
Dude Zanzibar, you don't even know cebot.

Yes I do.

Don't lie, if you know him so well, tell me how many times you've seen him in game, and how many times you've spoken to him.

But sadly he's right, Zanzibar, you were never a good duelist, and so you are bitter about dueling all together.
You hardly go in game as it is.

And you want us to take your in game experience? What experience?

OH and roahn, that's Gharan, believe it or not i don't care.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Because of course you can sign as anything you want with a petition and still say that it's credible! lollerskates! Smiley

Not everyone does that karyuu, some of us have a sense of morals and ethics....
A lot of people have made really good points in this thread (thank you!) but others just have their heads stuck where the sun don't shine. And it's a real pity.

Stop speaking to yourself in the third person.

~~Datruth

[ Edited out the revealing of someone's alts. This is against the forum rules. --Karyuu ]
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 06:33:28 pm by Karyuu »
Truth To Disbelief

Quote from: svuun
I adopt Karyuu.  She might not be new but her skin is so supple, soft and n00b like....  :sweatdrop:

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 10, 2007, 06:16:11 pm »
The more of an ass you are, the closer I am to locking this thread :)
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

chazarus

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 10, 2007, 06:17:37 pm »
Woohoo lock it down 10 pages already LOL
If you see me in game please duel me so i can kill you...

Gharan

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 10, 2007, 06:17:51 pm »
Please don't lock it Kary.

Can we all stop the childish comments PLEASE!!!

chazarus

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 10, 2007, 06:19:10 pm »
oops 11 pages and why am i even posting i dont even play no more \\o//
If you see me in game please duel me so i can kill you...

Nurahk

« Reply #159 on: February 10, 2007, 06:19:36 pm »
Gharan, you know I respect you.  But this thread will just keep reverting to a flame war/childish idiot hangout.

The idea of the game is that it is Roleplaying to the extreme, therefore, the duel system should depend almost exclusively on Player stats not player skills.  That's what is going on.

You may disagree with it, but it's the devs game and it's what they want.

Datruth

• Hydlaa Notable
  • "You can't Squeeze Blood from a stone."
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 10, 2007, 06:21:25 pm »
The more of an ass you are, the closer I am to locking this thread :)

Didn't i tell you to stop speaking in the third person? You're gonna need pills for that i guess.

PS = Censorship
Stalin= Karyuu

Watch the lock friends.... It was good, but our words mean nothing.
If you want change, sign the petition:
http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?PSDuel&1

Maybe talad will listen to us.

~~Datruth
Truth To Disbelief

Quote from: svuun
I adopt Karyuu.  She might not be new but her skin is so supple, soft and n00b like....  :sweatdrop:

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 10, 2007, 08:05:13 pm »
Hi again everyone,

It's too bad that things got so ill spirited.  I have a few things to say in my personal defense:

i. I duel a lot and I am a regular in game, but "Zanzibar" is not the name of any of my characters save one that I used for a mere two days for a specific RP storyline.

ii.  I am in fact very skilled with the old style of dueling.  Despite that, I still frown upon the practices that were common before the update.

iii. Quittaa was not a weak character, and yes she did kill me using the energy arrow spell.  She attacked me from the other side of the plaza.  I did not mean to kill Drahlian; I only fought back when she refused to yield.

iv.  I didn't fight Cebot because I see his aggression as OOC and I don't want to support that behavior.  I do fight and challenge high-level characters every so often, especially if my character is cornered such that it is unrealistic for me to escape an attack.

v.  I do in fact know Cebot from RPing with him in game and from watching him interact with others.
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.