Author Topic: The Longest Journey  (Read 1258 times)

emeraldfool

• Veteran
  • Irish (adj.): Cynical; morally bankrupt
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio (or at least what I've bothered to upload...)
The Longest Journey
« on: February 13, 2007, 09:58:58 am »
The Longest Journey is one of the most captivating games I've ever played. It's sorta old (7 years, but although the 3D models sorta suck, the background art is awesome), but it's a classic. The characters are lovable and memorable (The main protagonist, April actually reminds me a lot of Karyuu - young, aspiring American artist with a similar goofy personality :P And then there's the foul-mouthed Burns Flipper and the smart-ass talking bird, Crow)

It's an adventure game (point-and-click), but it focuses on story mainly (there are some cool puzzles though). The story is inspired: two worlds, the world of magic (which reflects all the fantasy stories and fairy tales), and the world of technology (or own world, about 200 years in the future) are in conflict, and only April Ryan, as a 'Shifter', can travel between them in order to solve the mystery of what's going down. A perfect mixture of fantasy and sci-fi.

Anyway, I'm not sure you can still buy it, but there's a torrent for it, if you'd be so inclined. You should definitely play it, if you enjoy a good story, and like some challenging puzzles.

P.S. Don't read the wiki-article too much... even the character description parts. It's riddled with nasty spoilers...

neko kyouran

Re: The Longest Journey
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 02:02:32 pm »
Played it, loved it. :)

Dreamfall, the longest journey 2 is pretty good too.  It's a bit different from the original though.  Not to give away the ending, but Dreamfall is left pretty wide open.  The reason being, the game instaler was alrady 7 gigs in size and they had only finished half the story to it.  So it was split in two.  Still waiting for the second half of dream fall to come out.

Oh and a warning about the first game in the series, they don't hold back on the language.  It's not that bad or anything, but its not like they say freck instead of, well, you can probably guess.

Oh, and Karyuu is so like April.

lordraleigh

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 02:05:41 pm »
Oh and a warning about the first game in the series, they don't hold back on the language.  It's not that bad or anything, but its not like they say freck instead of, well, you can probably guess.

An adventure game without Disney language!  \\o//

If a guy is pissed off he will say ****, realism over PG rating puritanism! Hooray!

neko kyouran

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 02:08:13 pm »
That and some of April's friends she has in the game, are quite open in thier love for a same sex partner relationship. 

So yep, definately non disney.

Edit:

Oh, and I love all the British accents.  At least I think they are British accents.

I love a good Brit accent.  Smexy.

emeraldfool

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 03:15:52 pm »
That and some of April's friends she has in the game, are quite open in thier love for a same sex partner relationship. 

So yep, definately non disney.

Lol, I forgot about Fiona. She's so funny. "Well, darling, Zack's a wanker. He's always been a wanker. But he pays the rent..."

Oh, and I love all the British accents.  At least I think they are British accents.

I love a good Brit accent.  Smexy.

Funny you should mention accents. Half of the accents in Dreamfall are Irish, including; Kian, Damien, most of the Azadi soldiers, Faith and possibly Westhouse.

Sadly, Zoë, the main character, has the most annoying British accent ever :P

djurodrljaca

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 03:30:47 pm »
The Longest Journey was "designed" by Ragnar Tornquist and he has a blog where he writes about games (in general an also about his games), about movies and his current project.

You can find a lot of information about "Dreamfall: The Longest Journey" at his blog (he recently wrote 2 parts of a "post mortem" about Dreamfall and more are to come).

Loved both games, but I must warn you about Dreamfall. You can easily get attached to the characters, and when I finished it I was in a "weird state of mind" for a few day...  (not sad, well maybe a little, but there was just some kind of weird feeling and I cant describe it)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 03:33:17 pm by djurodrljaca »

emeraldfool

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 03:42:24 pm »
The Longest Journey was "designed" by Ragnar Tornquist and he has a blog where he writes about games (in general an also about his games), about movies and his current project.

You can find a lot of information about "Dreamfall: The Longest Journey" at his blog (he recently wrote 2 parts of a "post mortem" about Dreamfall and more are to come).

Loved both games, but I must warn you about Dreamfall. You can easily get attached to the characters, and when I finished it I was in a "weird state of mind" for a few day...  (not sad, well maybe a little, but there was just some kind of weird feeling and I cant describe it)

Yeah, the ending screws with your head a bit. It's probably the most unsatisfying thing that could possibly happen (or series of things). Out of about 25 plot points, only about 1 of them gets resolved, and it's the one nobody cares about :P
Another thing that'll piss you off if you play TLJ first is how much of a b**** April becomes...

Lets just hope Tornquist gets the go-ahead for the sequel.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 05:14:08 pm »
Damn it. Now I have to play this.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

emeraldfool

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 06:57:20 pm »
Damn it. Now I have to play this.

You realise that if you are attracted to April that it would be a form of narcissism, right?  ;D

Vulcas

Re: The Longest Dialogue
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 10:09:04 pm »
Ah, yes, "The Longest Dialogue"  :D

Majority of TLJ fans will probably disagree with my opinion but I found the game to be extremely overrated. And I've actually been a huge fan of adventure genre, having played excellent classics like "Monkey Island" 1 and 2, "Curse of Monkey Island", "Grim Fandango", "Broken Sword" (1 and 2), "Gabriel Knight" (from 1 to 3), "Space Quest" series, "King's Quest" series, "Legend of Kyrandia" series, and many many more, way too many to list here.

When I first tried the game's demo, it looked so promising and I was very excited to try the full version. However, while playing the full game, the dialogues ended up being so long-winded and overbearing, you often wanted to tell the characters to simply shut up. If I wanted to read that much text, I'd pick up a book (and no, the length of my post doesn't even come close :P). Voice-overs either helped or made it more annoying. Although the concept of two different worlds (of magic and science) sounded very exciting, the protagonist sounded like she was written by a fanatical and delusional female rights activist. I won't spoil it for you with details but you'll see it when you play. Or you might like it, who knows. I like a strong-spirited woman with a bit of mean streak (the sexy kind) but this was just twisted into something stupid at times.

I don't want to put it down completely. The game does have its good points, and at times you will be excited and feel like you're lost in another world but other times it fails miserably.

What was even a bigger let down was finding out that Ragnar Tornquist, the author of the story, turned out to be an ungrateful and complete ego-inflated jerk. I think someone mentioned on this forum that "writers usually are". Perhaps they're onto something here.

I was actively reading many adventure game forums at the time, being a fan of the genre and all, and there was a big discussion about the upcoming sequel to TLJ, called "Dreamfall". Some news were released that "Dreamfall" wasn't just going to be an adventure, which usually has heavy emphasis on story and story-driven puzzles, as well as a relaxed pace, but an action-adventure. Majority of past reviews of such hybrids have pretty much rated them to be a failure because they tried to pull off two genres in one and ended up failing in both, turning off fans of each one. People weren't sure why such a move was made and politely asked for an explanation.

Later it turned out that "Dreamfall" was automatically developed for both, video consoles and PCs, with heavy emphasis on video consoles. People once again politely raised concerns that many console-to-PC ports ended up being less than enjoyable, too arcade-like with numerous jumping "puzzles", and whether "Dreamfall" would avoid such pitfalls. Apparently, even "The Longest Journey" was originally planned as a platformer but for whatever reason changed to be exclusively for PC.

Yet more news have surfaced that despite TLJ's popularity, it did not get enough sales in Funcom's and Ragnar's eyes (it's always about money in the end, isn't it?). Hence, the attempted move to attract console gamers as well. However, once again, attracting console gamers in the past often proved a horrible transition with stupid pointless jumping puzzles, and weak story. People pointed out the classic example of the excellent "Simon the Sorcerer" series, with "Simon the Sorcerer 3D" being a dismal failure. The same company is making "Simon the Sorcerer 4" now, and came back to the traditional point-and-click style, and majority of the fans are extremely happy about it.

This is what Bill Tiller had to say about "point-and-click" approach:

“Point and click is just simply the best way, in my humble opinion, of playing an adventure game. Driving around and walking everywhere is not fun! They cut that part out of movies and books for a reason. In movies they call it ‘compression of time’ which means compressing the boring traveling done to a few editing cuts, and boom! Our protagonists are where the more interesting action is. When games make you drive your character around everywhere you are wasting valuable gaming time

…

Plus  point  and  click  games  can  allow  artists  to  create  background art  in  third  person,  the  preferred perspective used in most movies and TV shows, - the perspective we are all used to. Plus if you have to navigate in 3rd person it is often hard to display the collision geometry and create interesting angles at the same time. You often run into things and get stuck on corners. It’s so much easier if you can just point and click where you want to go, and let the computer navigate for you. Make the computer work for you, don’t do work for the computer. Point and click makes the computer work for you.â€

-Bill Tiller

If you don't know who Bill Tiller is, take a look here:

http://www.worldofmi.com/features/interview/tiller.php

Now, I personally don't care if the game is 2D (or 2.5D, as they call it in adventure genre) or 3D, as long as the story is great and puzzles are interesting. What people were questioning was the fact that it was now labeled as an "action-adventure", which is a hybrid genre that carries a certain stigma with it. I think it was a reasonable concern to ask questions about it. Some people pointed out that the move was about money and that it was disappointing to see it manipulate Ragnar so much.

Note that this has nothing to do with MMORPG genre. Many adventure game fans love MMORPGs as its own genre and the approaches it usually takes to navigation and interaction work well for the type of genre that it is, so don't be tempted to compare the reasoning behind each.

Eventually, a single person (yes, a single person) in a specific thread frustratingly called Ragnar a sell-out and that he "ate too many hamburgers". He got really insulted, referred to that thread in his blog, and labeled all (yes, all) "PC gamers" to be ignorant and ungrateful and much worse than console gamers, that "point-and-click" adventure was "dead" and there was no money in it, and supposedly that's why he was desining "Dreamfall" primarily for consoles now, as he always wanted to do with TLJ. That is because of a single comment by one person.

People have questioned him on such ignorant and immature comments about stereotyping all PC gamers and that it was uncalled for, just because he got offended by one individual's comment. They also reminded him that it was PC gamers who helped with TLJ's success in the first place, and that he should be more grateful to them and not stereotype them like he did.

Surprisingly, he started posting on the adventure forums and his blog simultaneously, reducing himself to nothing more than immature bickering and never-ending arguments. He even mentioned at some point that he liked being sarcastic because it made one to be "cool" and that "women liked cool". Someone pointed out that trying so hard to be "cool" for women usually has the opposite effect.

Anyway, the drama and bickering went on for a while, and can probably still be found in his blog archives. But the point is that it made him look like an immature and ego-inflated jerk who reduced himself to nothing more than petty bickering and insults. That was not the image of a respected writer that I thought he initially was, so I was especially not interested in anything he had to say anymore, whether it's the stories he writes or more whining in his blogs. I really think he should just stick to writing stories rather than whine in his blogs about every comment someone made about him.

On the other hand, I've heard he was involved into the initial story for "Anarchy Online" MMORPG (but not in expansions), and I actually didn't mind that game when I tried the free AO classic + "Notum Wars" thing that's still going on. I would never pay money for it though, it's not good enough, and only tried it initially for being free. ;)

By the way, the game (TLJ) has a lot of swearing going on. That never bothered me though but be warned if you have kids around.

Anyway, your personal experience may vary, so play it, if you like.

When it comes to adventure games featuring female protagonists, I was personally much more impressed with "Syberia" 1 and 2, featuring Kate Walker. Absolutely gorgeous games written by the talented Benoit Sokal. The only thing is I wish there was more interaction with more objects. But otherwise, an excellent story, mystery, sadness, and just an exciting experience. I actually won "Syberia 1" with a signed poster in a contest. ;)

For really great examples of adventure games, I recommend "Curse of Monkey Island", "Grim Fandango", "Broken Sword 1" and "Broken Sword 2", "Syberia 1" and "Syberia 2", and "Gabriel Knight" series (supernatural stuff) for starters.

This was my personal opinion, so do not criticize me for it. I'm not trying to force it on anyone, I'm simply stating mine. I won't judge you for liking the game.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 10:18:14 pm by Vulcas »

lordraleigh

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 10:18:04 pm »
Vulcas, how could you forget Alone in the Dark?

That one gave me serious creeps a long time ago! And the challenges it presented...

Vulcas

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 10:21:20 pm »
Vulcas, how could you forget Alone in the Dark?

That one gave me serious creeps a long time ago! And the challenges it presented...

I didn't forget, I liked the game as well but like I said, I've played so many adventures, there are just way to many to list them all here. I also played "Quest for Glory", "Leisure Suit Larry" (by the ultra-funny Al Lowe), and numerous other classics. Adventure is one of my absolute favorite genres, I pretty much grew up playing that type of games. The list of what I played (and not just on PC) is really too long to type every single game here. :P

emeraldfool

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 10:29:16 am »
'The Dig' was brilliant too, if not a little obscure. It was originally supposed to be a Spielberg film, but it got canceled and Lucas Arts bought the rights. Incredibly atmospheric.

And about the whole Ragnar thing - you wouldn't be one of those people who actually blames him for writing a good story and making a few mechanical errors? The Dialog is realistic - people are not silent in real life, people talk, explain things and besides, the dialogs are important for solving certain puzzles.

Anyway, people take Tornquist too seriously. He has a great sense of humour, and most of what he says is just in good fun. And he's totally grateful to his fans... he's said that thousands of times. He might say differently when he's being slandered, but that's one of the things that I like about him: how human he is - he says stupid stuff sometimes. He doesn't need people quoting everything he says and obsessing over what he does.

The Longest Journey is great because it's so much different than the half-baked stories and 'puzzles for the sake of solving a puzzle' that are associated with traditional point-and-click adventures. TLJ was an interactive novel, everything else is just a game :P

Vulcas

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2007, 11:08:47 am »
Spoken like a true fanboy.

No, I'm one of those people who have their own opinion and stand by it.

I don't remember saying anything bad about "the story" in my post. I said the dialogue was long-winded and overbearing. There is a big difference between silent, short sweet and meaningful, and long-winded never-ending and overbearing. There are other games where dialogues help with solving puzzles and they are not nearly as bad.

If anything, it's Tornquist who takes people too seriously. Otherwise, why get so fired up and insult all PC gamers and call them immature and ungrateful, just because of a single poster's comment? It's him who is immature and ungrateful. If it wasn't for PC gamers, his game would never have gained the popularity that it did. Not to mention that it made a front page of the "PC Gamer" magazine at some point.

People raising reasonable concerns is not taking things "too seriously", it's not taking crap from overrated and ego-inflated writers, whose head got too big because of a "one-hit wonder" title. His "Anarchy Online", for example, completely flopped at the release, so TLJ is the only thing he's known for.

I'm not sure how it is different in Tornquist's case that "he says stupid stuff sometimes" because so do some people on the internet. And it was him who quoted the "hamburger" comment and referred to a particular thread in his blog rather than someone else quoting him. People who simply want to enjoy the games don't need him quoting what they say, insult and stereotype them, and obsessing over their opinions. If he wanted to address a specific poster, he should've done that instead of stereotyping about all PC gamers. That's just ignorant and idiotic because people are individuals and not one group.

I never took it "too seriously" but that doesn't mean I have to like him or continue listening to pointless bickering in his blogs. Hence, why I just started ignoring him.

As for "half-baked stories and puzzles for the sake of puzzles", that has nothing to do with traditional point-and-click adventures. Any decent website that covers adventure games (such as www.adventuregamers.com) will be the first to point out such an approach as flawed. This is why the best adventures are those that have rich stories and story-driven puzzles.

Try "Grim Fandango" and "Curse of Monkey Island" by Lucas Arts, "Syberia" and "Syberia 2" by Benoit Sokal, "Gabriel Knight" series by Jen Jensen, and then tell me again how they have "puzzles for the sake of puzzles". I think you're only thinking of games like "Myst" when making such comments, and haven't really played many adventures.

These games I've mentioned have much richer stories and story-driven puzzles, and are way above the overrated TLJ written by a whiny writer.

Anyway, I've already stated that it was my opinion, so don't assume what kind of "people" I am.

I dislike the game and I dislike the writer. Get over it. :P

As for "The Dig", I liked it too. Hence, why I like Bill Tiller.

PS For those who are curious, the character of April Ryan was really nothing more than Ragnar's "dedication" to April Jones, the Funcom's US PR lead at the time. She's now a US PR lead for Sigil's Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. Here she is. Draw your own conclusions.

lordraleigh

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 11:21:21 am »
Thanks Vulcas! You saved me hours of downloading a 2.4 GB torrent for playing a game which quality is questionable!

Yes, I'm very demanding on such things(I avoid games that have excessive negative reviews on GameFAQs, specially when the positive ones seem to be made by fanboys, just as an example), time to BUY something really good or to download a true classic from Abandonware.

Or perhaps I should go back to Anachronox, a good game despite some bugs.