Author Topic: “Hey buddy…”  (Read 853 times)

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
“Hey buddy…”
« on: February 19, 2007, 05:35:40 pm »
Time for a bit of a unique idea about the NPCs and the quest system. As it is now, there are going to be lockouts on many of the quests to prevent them from being done by hundreds of folks at once. So, in effect, only one person can do a quest in, say, an hour (or even weeks). But, the people still have to ask for that quest, usually by repeating “Do you have a quest” over and over again. This is completely out of character if you ask me, as no one in their right mind runs around asking people constantly if they need help. Well, maybe Janner, but we all know he is not in his right mind. ;)

Now, the GM event ‘system’ takes a completely different approach, and the GMs have to -ask- people to join their quest. The problem with this is that a GM actually has to be there, and guide the quest, not to mention find players who are interested, then hope they don't crash halfway through. Not fun for the GMs.

What I am suggesting is a merger of the two. As a simple example, I give you Harn and his hungry ‘quest’. Now, if I was hungry and working all day at the forge, and did not have time to find some food, I would not wait for someone to ask if I needed something. I would look at the nearest people and say, “Hey buddy, how about getting me some food, I’m half starved here. Who’s up for a sandwich run?”  The first person to holler out “Hell ya, right here!” gets the quest.

This does four things. It gets rid of the ooc need to get some of the quests in the first place. It gives the NPC a breath of realism and life. It gives good reason for a quest to have a timeout. Finally, it gets rid of NPC campers (a little). Plus, it saves Devs the problem of trying to figure out all twenty questions that players may try to ask to get said quest. Ok, that is five things, and the list of benifits goes on.

All in all, time and aggravation saved on all sides.

Opinions?

Kaerli

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: “Hey buddy…”
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 05:39:29 pm »
I like it (and it would not be difficult to implement, either).  Simply give each NPC a timer that sends a message picked from a list when it fires.

neko kyouran

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 05:54:04 pm »
The last time I was asked that ("hey buddy"), it was followed by, "you wanna buy some grass?"

He didn't look into gardening, so I can only assume is was the more illegal, in most areas, kind.

And as for the idea at hand, I gives it two thumbs up.  Although I'm pretty sure the idea of an npc shouting out things to passer-by's has been suggested before.  I think I read in the history log that the npcs do have that functionality.  Don't know if its being used in game yet though.

lordraleigh

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 06:22:06 pm »
The last time I was asked that ("hey buddy"), it was followed by, "you wanna buy some grass?"

This one is a perfect phrase for being said by an NPC named Zak that is located at *spoiler*  :whistling:

Ishtar2

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 09:03:00 pm »
It's a good idea.  Although it might want to be changed for shopkeepers, they probably should have a sign that says, "Help wanted."

I don't know of many shop whose managers yell, "We need employees" from inside.
"When I think about the truth, I touch myself. This is The Colbert Report!" ~Stephen Colbert

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 09:15:57 pm »
Just for certain quests, that is all. Don't want the NPCs turning into spammed, and have to get banned.

I am told something like this might be in the works, but do not know if it can be used to actualy trigger quests.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 11:29:31 pm »
Last time I fired up a compiled client and ran my own server, the NPCs greeted me on their own as I waltzed by them in NPCroom :D I'm not sure when that will be included/managed in current releases, but that at least is possible and was very cool. Although definitely annoying after some time, too.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

emeraldfool

• Veteran
  • Irish (adj.): Cynical; morally bankrupt
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio (or at least what I've bothered to upload...)
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 09:39:44 am »
I can see it now. You take a few steps down a street and BAM

"I need a sandwich! I'm starvin'! Anyone want-"
"Hey, I need someone to deliver some mail here! I have a letter to-"
"Oi! you! I need help in solving a crime. It seems my tavern was-"
"Listen, my shield is completely busted. I need you to take it to-"
"I think someone's been spying on me. I need you to-"
"Could you pick up a book I forgot to get from..."
"I need 10 diamonds for some weird reason...!"

Whatever RP you were involved in is now severely disrupted :P

LARAGORN

• Veteran
  • Facts dont cease to exist because they are ignored
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 09:45:45 am »
I can see it now. You take a few steps down a street and BAM

"I need a sandwich! I'm starvin'! Anyone want-"
"Hey, I need someone to deliver some mail here! I have a letter to-"
"Oi! you! I need help in solving a crime. It seems my tavern was-"
"Listen, my shield is completely busted. I need you to take it to-"
"I think someone's been spying on me. I need you to-"
"Could you pick up a book I forgot to get from..."
"I need 10 diamonds for some weird reason...!"

Whatever RP you were involved in is now severely disrupted :P

But isnt that the way it is in any public area? No one cares what you are doing or talking about, people are yelling all over the place. You wanna buy this, I am looking for that.... I think it is realistic, anoying? yes but realistic.

All great truthes begin as blasphemies- SHAW
Adraax KCP Adraax Forum

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 09:52:36 am »
this could be scripted that a NPC won't bug you while you are already talking with someone else. But i think that we as players can filter out these thing, its this what the script would do ;P Nobody else see that a some NPC is talking to you, so it is up to us players, to learn filtering. Unless we really want devs to do it, but not something else ;P

What you can failure tommorow, failure today.

Better click for shiny stylez Help me with images!

Narure

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 10:45:00 am »
Well maybe if this was implemented all speach to and from NPCs could be in the main because people would no longer be constantly asking for quests and if someone is just asking a question to the NPC it gives players the chance to answer it aswell as the NPC.

emeraldfool

• Veteran
  • Irish (adj.): Cynical; morally bankrupt
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio (or at least what I've bothered to upload...)
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 03:58:37 pm »
Well maybe if this was implemented all speach to and from NPCs could be in the main because people would no longer be constantly asking for quests and if someone is just asking a question to the NPC it gives players the chance to answer it aswell as the NPC.

That would severely clutter up the Main tab. I mean, it's bad enough with n00bs spamming the same question over and over again, using leetspeak IC, but then you have people trying to use dumbspeak on the NPCs at the same time...

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 04:16:47 pm »
Good idea, UTM -- but:

Not all kinds of quests are suitable to be asked by an NPC.

Developers will have to chose wisely which quests are asked for "on approach" (or at random), and which should be asked for by the players.

Furthermore ... the required minimum experience and skill of the player will be a kind of criterion to decide which quests will be suitable to be asked by the NPC.

And how about the daytime? Harnquist will usually be hungry around noon, for example...

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

lordraleigh

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 04:25:39 pm »
Making artificial intelligence for a game isn't piece of cake, still it's better to have smarter NPCs first(even though they will come "sooner"(tm) ) than putting features on them that will become faulty due to the absence of a proper AI to work on them.

Ishtar2

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 05:46:50 pm »
Last time I fired up a compiled client and ran my own server, the NPCs greeted me on their own as I waltzed by them in NPCroom :D I'm not sure when that will be included/managed in current releases, but that at least is possible and was very cool. Although definitely annoying after some time, too.

Well this is interesting.  What other magical secrets are hidden in this client?
"When I think about the truth, I touch myself. This is The Colbert Report!" ~Stephen Colbert