Author Topic: MB Linux version.  (Read 1915 times)

Chlerval

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2003, 01:35:33 pm »
I tried the tarball (above), but it caused segfaults.
So I installed CS myself and let PS run over my new build (hmm.. like the sound of it..... my new build..... my new build.... my new build..... eh. sorry)
And it worked, until the last page of the char creation. Then I got the segfaults again. :(
Tried my own build of cel, but no luck.
And to get the whole thing from CVS (and come to the conclusion that it somehow won\'t build) is something that I will avoid.

So devs, PLEASE, release the Linux version.
Linux using communist; who hates windoze versions.

tv-casualty

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2003, 03:35:20 pm »
yeah, i tried the tarball, pewp! is it ready yet? is it ready yet?

Sarth

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2003, 07:21:41 pm »
This is being looked at. My understanding is that there were some compile problems or some such thing ...

Hopefully it won\'t be too far away, but things happen that you don\'t expect I guess.

We\'re all chomping at the bit to get to this MB release, yeah it\'s damn annoying that the windows users are miles ahead of the GNU/Linux folk in the crystal hunt, but spare a thought for the mac users ... (although, again, people are busy working on this as we speak)

And spare a thought for devs who have yet to see the MB release too (hint)  ;(

Nod

• Traveller
    • View Profile
bump!
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2003, 10:09:24 pm »
bumping this back up to the top and i hope the Linux version will be updated at the same time that windows is or I wil have to wait 1 week after every patch... but the game is free so who am i to ask anything.

I will say thanks though!

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2003, 10:34:10 pm »
Right now to my knowledge there is no one working on improving the Linux distro to work better.  Perhaps one of you 1337 linux guys here on this forum would like to tackle that?

- Venge
(a Windows guy)

Ravenmaster

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
wa
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2003, 10:53:50 pm »
Yes, well I have a mac, so I don\'t care for windows or linux, although I prefer Linux, I suppose, since it isn\'t Windoze. Best oxymoron I\'ve heard: Microsoft Works
You are here,
You will always be here,
You will never be there.
Although you may strive to get there,
upon reaching there you will realize you are really here.
And there is everywhere else.
-Spoonjoppa

Culsoron

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2003, 05:02:07 am »
I can\'t believe wat Im hearing here, no one is working one the linux version ? Get your act together devs. This doesn\'t qualifiy to cross platform at all. Im new to linux, and altough I regard myself as quite decent in it, I have no clue about what to do to make a package better. How about contacting some skilled linux users somewhere ? There must be someone out there willing to do the job. And if you are missing someone to make the linux version why post \"just a few days\" on the main site. ARFGH, im really lost in anger here. GET IT TOGETHER !!!!

Lightyear

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2003, 06:10:22 am »
Just as a sidenote; it\'s fine and dandy for you to get your knickers in a twist over X not being done, and not being happy about that.

But we\'re an open-source project, and we\'re dependent on the community to provide us with the resources necessary to make these things happen.

We\'re all doing our best to provide the best possible release; but things slip through the fingers of even the best of hands, and we\'re not perfect.  Nowhere did anyone say that nobody was working on the Linux version of PlaneShift; merely that coming up with any kind of \'advanced\' packaging of PlaneShift, at the moment, isn\'t being chased by anyone at the moment.

If you\'re good at packaging products, or know someone who is, put them in touch with us.  Use that anger to fuel action, not to rip out the hearts of those of us who understand your anger, and our doing our bests to alleviate its causes.  Take a pro-active stance and help us solve these problems, and try to understand that we\'re doing our best.

Culsoron

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2003, 08:42:56 am »
After a little bit to eat and a lot of enya in my ears I am at peace with myself and everyone else, sorry for my outburst. I understand that even people like you sometimes come short. I love you for what you have done so far and I love you for understanding rude assholes like myself. I do not know anyone good at packaging linux thingy\'s. But I will look for someone in where I can think of looking. again, very sorry for the outburst.

Keldorn

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2003, 09:46:17 am »
damn that lightyear is good! He should be a shrink or something. Good with words he is.

That\'s a talent, talk people into feeling guilty.
m.vanes

MustangMR

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2003, 05:25:01 pm »
Huh????  The web site says a couple days, which I assume was written when they put out the Windows release.  Why the lie?  I dual boot, but any time I can avoid winblows, I do.

MustangMR

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2003, 05:27:54 pm »
Ooops.  Replied to soon and didn\'t see the official answer.  Sorry for the knock.  Keep up the good work.

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2003, 10:30:18 pm »
Someone on the team made a distro for Linux, which you can download from our SF.net page.  However, this distro appears to ONLY work out of the box on Gentoo distros of linux, and the guy who made it has since quit the team.  Everyone else is busy fixing bugs (on 3 operating systems), or doing other things.  Download the distro to get the content and compile PS yourself if you are desperate.  If you are desperate and good, make a new linux distro that works across many versions of LInux and be a hero to your community!

- Venge

Culsoron

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2003, 09:59:26 am »
Im looking inot this now, got a friend of mine to look at it as well,but my question is the CS and CEL packages, are they included in the tar.bz file at sourceforge as well ? or will we have to get them ?

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2003, 07:17:00 pm »
You will need to build them fresh for each distro you produce.