Author Topic: Most glyphs and spells are still useless, after more than a year  (Read 1799 times)

Roahn

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Most glyphs and spells are still useless, after more than a year
« on: February 22, 2007, 12:49:06 pm »
My complaint is that most spells and glyphs are useless, and they are getting worse. The ONLY useful spells, IMHO, are Life Infusion and Missile/Arrow, and to a very small degree, Nature Intuition, Flame Burst and Strength.

Below are my thoughts on all the spells I can think of:

Red Way: Lots of spells, but not worth training above 1.

Strength: Useless. WAS a pretty decent spell, but today I noticed that it no longer "stacks" if you cast it multiple times. Now, it only boosts you once, no matter how many times you cast it. So now, I can go from 200 to 212 strength. Who cares?! Now I'll do 460 instead of 450 damage, for 2 or 3 minutes. This is Realm 2 and requires 20 in Red Way... definitely not worth the effort to train.

Meteor: Useless. Realm 3 and requires 40 in Red Way, but you can't even train that high. Also it does less damage than an Energy Arrow, yet takes about 4 times as long to cast, making it useless.

Flame Burst: Somewhat useful, as it can be cast with only 1 in Red Way. Unfortunately the damage it inflicts does not increase significantly when you train, even to 20. Nobody but "noobies" ever uses it.

Electrotouch: Useless. Does an insignificant amount of damage for only a few seconds. Not worth the effort.

Flame Spire: Useless. Looks fancy, but does very little damage for very little time.

Blue Way: Not worth training at all: only 1 spell

Freeze: Slow to cast, must be close to enemy, and does almost no damage. Useless

Dark Way: No useful spells, don't bother to train it.

Darkness: Useless. Creates a "dark cloud" around the caster. Does this do anything? None that I've seen. Useless

Weakness: Useless. Must be in "touch range" and it takes a long time to cast. Does very little damage. In the past, this was a useful spell in a duel, but GMs would threaten to ban you if you used it, saying it was "exploiting a bug." The effect: as your target became weak, they would begin dropping the items they could no longer carry. IMHO, this was the purpose of the spell... yet it was considered exploiting just to type "/cast weakness" while in a duel. I think this "bug" has since been "fixed" so now this spell joins the ranks of utterly useless. Also, if you manage to kill an npc with this spell, you are not allowed to loot it.

Taste of Death: Useless. Death is a misnomer, as it only causes a small amount of damage. Perhaps a more fitting name would be "slight illness" or "minor scratch."

Azure Way: Not worth training

Defensive Wind: Useless. AFAIK, this spell has no effect whatsoever. I never see anyone use it except noobies that haven't yet learned that it is useless.

Nature Intuition: Somewhat useful, in that you can read someone's basic stats, though it requires a lot of training in this otherwise-useless Way (Realm 2, requires 20 in Azure). Slightly useful, but not worth the effort.

Brown Way: Not worth training

Rock Armor: Useless. Does nothing as far as I can tell.

Flying Stones: Useless. This high level spell does about the same amount of damage as a summoned missile with only 1 in crystal way, yet it requires a high skill in Brown to cast, and is slow to cast. People call it the "flying meatball" because of the silly animation.

Stone Fist: Useless. Realm 3, requires 40 in Brown Way... but guess what... you can only train it to 20!

Crystal Way: The only somewhat useful Way.

Life Infusion: This is by far the most useful spell in the game, to heal yourself and others. However, no need to train higher than 1 in crystal way, as your healing powers hardly progress. Pity.

Summon Missile: Moderately useful. Does little damage, but is quick to cast and uses little mana. Don't bother training higher than 1 for this spell, since it doesn't get much stronger as you progress.

Energy Arrow: Moderately useful. This spell is fast to cast, and does a decent amount of damage. It can be quite useful in a duel, and is the only spell you will ever seen used in combat.

Healing Flash: Useless. This spell, from what I hear, requires 80 in Crystal Way. Last I checked, 30 was the max you could train.

Look around Hydlaa, Ojaveda, in the arena, or in BD. How much magic do you see used? Not much. So, my advice to anyone wanting to learn magic: Don't bother. Train to 1 in Crystal Way so you can heal, or maybe to 20 if you're a serious dueler. Other than that, don't waste your time. This was the case when I started 14 months ago, and remains the same today. I would like to see some improvement in magic, otherwise PS will remain... unappealing. Maybe this is a reason for the following stats (courtesy of Under the Moon) about Planeshift:

Total PS accounts:  340,000
Accounts never used:  112114
340000 - 112114 = 227886 people who have tried PS.
Total characters used less than an hour : 141557
Active accounts older than 30 days:  4297

62% that logged in never played more than an hour.
Over 98% that have tried PS no longer play.

-Roahn

Lebre

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: Most glyphs and spells are still useless, after more than a year
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 01:11:50 pm »
Indeed

I see spells from some way = spells from other ways.. doing same weaker hit points
one example: death = flame burst = could = weakness

and spells that needs long time to cast -> meteor for an example

and spells without effect -> armor and wind and flame spire and electrotouch

and spells in game that need more than you are able to use -> healing flash, meteor

Ah, you can use Meteor.. how many times? 2 or 3, drinking about 10 dark red potions..

----------------------
maybe it's off-topic, but i have one question:
why we only can handle one boost stats weapon for a few seconds?
we have to drink too many bost stats potions to handle this weapons only for a few seconds.. whats the fun from that?

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 01:18:57 pm »
You'll be pleased to know that Xordan is taking care of magic whenever he has time :] There is quite a bit of work to do (and he's only one person) so there won't be changes immediately - but he definitely understands the current situation and is doing a lot to give magic users better toys to play with.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Allive

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 01:40:16 pm »
ok to clear some of this up.

first of lets start with the first poaster roahn i bilieve your knowladge of spells is lacking in some areas.

Stregnth = the reason it dosent stack no more is because it cant if you took the time to read its description it dosent work after you are above 200 stregnth so you see its more usefull instead of bosting to maybe 180 max you now get to boost to around 115.

Darkness = reduces dmg elt by the opponent if they are within this cloud of darkness. i.e if they are within hit range of you they deal less dmg.[with the overpowerd weapons however this is pritty pathetic spell i agree].

Defensive wind = i think 15 % chance of avoiding arrow and melee damage. i.e melee and arrows[when implimented] will be less likely to hit you.

rock armour = i think a 15% reduction in damage taken from the opponent.[again cause of over powerd weapons this spell again is pathetic].

Healing flash = i bilieve it is now possible to train to lvl 80 or perhaps above in cw way.[ my info could be wrong on this cause noones actuly proved it yet].this also halds up for lebre as well.

I am afraid of fighting. I am afriad of being beaten and losing. But i am more afraid of surviving as a cripple than dying in fight.However. I always try to find a new strong enamy.
(Fighter in the wind)

Idoru

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 01:54:07 pm »
yup, couldnt agree more, magic really does suck, any primary mage will die unless they are somewhere you cant get to easilly.

"May there only be peaceful and cheerful Earth Days to come for our beautiful Spaceship Earth as it continues to spin and circle in frigid space with its warm and fragile cargo of animate life."

One and only tanner

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • The internet makes you stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 01:58:34 pm »
yes u can train upto lvl 80 cw and there was a bug that some ppl used to get lvl 80 + to use it
and i think flame burst is good it has good dmg ok range slowish casting speed and low mana usage so good for npc's
energy arrow is terrable for npc's since they have 100 times more la/hp than any human player plus it use's tons of mana proble beacuse thats the price for it been such a fast spell to cast
and flying stone's well i don't know if this was the lag but when i cast it on some small npc's eg clacker and rats it pushed them back a few feet but that is most likey the lag
AND last of all one of my most liked spells elecrotouch! i love it if u cast it three times and attack an ulber with melee i do 3-5% dmg a hit and im only  lvl 12 in it so the melle dmg does nothin its purly the spelldoing the work so with a good wep i think its a very good help

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 02:05:29 pm »
Some time ago magic didn't evolve at all. There was no progress.
But since a few releases a huge number of new glyphs and spells has been poured into the game.
Not only that, the magic code has been updated and expanded a number of times.
And Xordan is even working on a rebalancing of magic!

So to conclude:
Things are not as bad as you think they are.
Please, be patient.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 02:07:09 pm by ThomPhoenix »
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

Roahn

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 02:08:18 pm »
Roahn hands Tanner some periods and commas.

As for Healing Flash, if it is true that you can now train to 80 in crystal way, I can't imagine any healing spell being worth the huge amount of time and money to train that high. I believe it cost around 25k trias and 250 to 300 PP to train from 29 to 30 in crystal way, and cost increases with level. So how many millions of trias will it cost to get to 80 so you can cast Healing Flash? And once you do, will it be broken or useless like most of the other spells?

Alliva, can you verify what you suspect about Defensive Wind, Rock Armor and Darkness? I have tested the first two many times, and saw no difference, though I have not tested them recently. And, if what you say is correct, they are still close to insignificant and useless in practice.

-Roahn

One and only tanner

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • The internet makes you stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 02:11:11 pm »
Roahn hands Tanner some periods and commas.
:offtopic:
what is everybodys problem about my grammer have none of you got any thing better to do than pick out my bad grammer or summat?
 :offtopic:

Gwinn Ravenn

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Gwinn (ravenn) Frawd
    • View Profile
    • Sapere Magi current events web page
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 02:33:24 pm »
My spell book has not worked sinse Research was implememnted. Too bad we cant go up to levrus who is a mage and say "about energy" and him tell us what the glyph does, what spells can be cast and what other glyphs you can combine to cast what spells. But he is just a mage and it would be completly out of character for him to have any idea about magic.. never mind how silly.

and why oh why do you have to wait 15 min. before an NPC will give out a quest again ??? Because it is absolutly for a band of misfits to be thrown together by fate. Forced to travel together to face danger and adversity on a great quest. It is vertually unheard of to do a quest on a group of 2 or more.. unheard of in rp right??? oh wait.. it is done... humm ok never mind about that one two... Well guess it is better to make everyone wait 15 min. because they are traveling together, after the first person gets the quest, wait 15 min.. then then next wait 15 min. because that makes much more sense.. of course.. my brain must be mush today.. excuse my rambling. ;)

lordraleigh

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 02:44:25 pm »
Total PS accounts:  340,000
Accounts never used:  112114
340000 - 112114 = 227886 people who have tried PS.
Total characters used less than an hour : 141557
Active accounts older than 30 days:  4297

62% that logged in never played more than an hour.
Over 98% that have tried PS no longer play.

-Roahn

There's a reason for why I can't keep playing PS for more than 2 hours now(This also is the case for all MMORPGs I played before PS, that I quickly left for lacking RP), except when involved into guild, community or GM events. Grinding countless monsters to level up or pressing a single button countless times to mine gold isn't my definition of having fun. That's why I focus so much on roleplay and why I prefer CRPGs(Specially PnP modules Conversions): In them your character doesn't "level up"  by killing 1000 times the same rogue, but by participating on several large scale missions/quests that have an immersive and twisting plot where the character influences the world around her(unlike the currently existing PS quests), fighting with several different enemies that doesn't respawn and that offer different challenges, going through castles, dungeons, passages and cities and exploring the unknown, all of this is something no MMORPG seems to have for now.

There's nothing really interesting to keep my attention on Planeshift regarding to gameplay. Regarding to roleplay, it's another history, but still is not very uncommon to see "This game sux!" among other things appearing on the MAIN tab.

Valorius Rageway

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Champion duelist of the realm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 12:55:00 am »
For the most part using magic in a duel is a death sentence.
Queen and leader of The Order of Daggers

dying_inside

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 09:18:32 am »
Wouldnt a cloud of darkness rteduce the chance to hit, rather than the amount of damage dealt?
I mean if I'm swinging my sword at someone in a cloud of darkness, I cant see them so i;m more likly to miss them, but hitting them would still be the same, unless this cloud is ultra thick.

Something really needs to be done about the overpowered weapons , because even after magic is "balaced" you'll still be able to kill everything and anything in a single hit, which still makes magic usless other than some flashy firewoks and interesting effects.

Allive

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007, 07:44:18 pm »
as in have i tryed em rock armour and darkness no cause it still be one hit kill anyway seing as how the weapons are over powerd{but could cheack for you} and as for defensive wind yes i tryed it on tefusang when my char was much weaker and it worked a treat you do know defensive wind is stackable ? increaseing its usefullness least for bigeners even more.

oh and gwinn theres a reason for your spell book "not working" as far as i have observed you can no longer even reserch spells until you have the level corresponding to the relm i.e you cannot learn healing flash till your at least lvl 80 in crystal way. so on so on.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 07:47:59 pm by Allive »
I am afraid of fighting. I am afriad of being beaten and losing. But i am more afraid of surviving as a cripple than dying in fight.However. I always try to find a new strong enamy.
(Fighter in the wind)

Efflixi Aduro

• Veteran
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 02:37:27 am »
*Hands Rohan a microphone*

Preach on brotha, preach on.

All I ever wanted to be was a Lemur mage in PS. 2 years into me being around and theres still no Lemur skin and no useful magic.  :'(
Lol Internet