Author Topic: GM Events, a couple of questions.  (Read 2685 times)

Gharan

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: GM Events, a couple of questions.
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2007, 02:21:28 pm »
1) What time-zone do you live in?
  a) GMT+0/GMT+2

2) How many GM events did you participate in as a whole?
  d) 6-10

3) What Type of events fo you prefer?
  a) Role-play

4) Do the events last to long?
  c) Some of them

5) What do you dislike most when it comes to events?
b) OOC intteruptions

6) GM events are made so that the players have a 99% chance of winning. Is it a good idea to lower this chance, making it so that a player can loose?
  a) Yes, it increases exitement.

7) Small events always tend to be more realistic. Big events are always... big. Do you prefer Big epic events, or small events such as a woman in need of herbs?
  c) A mixture of both

If you joined in one, do you enjoy GM events?
   b) Yes, quite.

9) GM events are random, cause otherwise it would be OOC. Do you prefer random events, or would you like to see a forum post announing one?
  a) I like it random, just as Role-play is supposed to be.

10) And at last, rewards. What do you tink about the rewards in the events. Think realistic for this one.
   d) Some are good, some are not. But PP should be increased for the long events.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 02:23:37 pm by Gharan »

Narure

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2007, 02:28:57 pm »

a) GMT+0/GMT+2

a) 0

a) Role-play

c) Some of them, event lenght should vairy. SOme should last months and some no more than 5 mins. VARIETY

d) the times when they are hosted.

6) GM events are made so that the players have a 99% chance of winning. Is it a good idea to lower this chance, making it so that a player can loose?

7) Small events always tend to be more realistic. Big events are always... big. Do you prefer Big epic events, or small events such as a woman in need of herbs?
  c) A mixture of both

8) If you joined in one, do you enjoy GM events?
  a) I assume I would

9) GM events are random, cause otherwise it would be OOC. Do you prefer random events, or would you like to see a forum post announing one?

10) And at last, rewards. What do you tink about the rewards in the events. Think realistic for this one.
  d) Some are good, some are not. tough question, dunno.

Phinehas

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2007, 02:38:46 pm »

e) GMT-5/ GMT-8

b) 1-2

a) Role-play

b) No

b) OOC intteruptions

c) A mixture of both

b) Yes, quite.

c) Couldn't care less.

a) They are good as it is. No wonder you don't get a suit of heavy armour from a mushroom collector.

lordraleigh

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2007, 03:34:13 pm »

d) GMT-1/ GMT-4

b) 1-2; 2 events  focused on roleplay to be more specific

a) Role-play - simply put, fetching items is a big cliché on CRPGs that is really tiresome, combat is not a good choice because the current combat system is alpha and also because it encourages Power-levelling. I simply don't like riddles and guessing games, and although I like logic puzzles, there is little support for puzzles on the sense that you need to combine/use certain items or operate something to achieve something like in those classic Adventure games ( Not sure if putting some aspects of Adventure genre is intended as well ), except if using /me , /my , etc.

b) No, most of them last little, but I guess it is not easy to make a GM Event in the same way of a PnP Module campaign with a DM.

e) Other: Most of events are or at least look like too much predictable, scripted and linear, I would rather a lack of linearity, more than one way to solve things, some plot twists and several branches of possibilities in the end of an event.  My suggestion its that GMs reduce their control over the outcome of the event to the minimum possible as let the players "hijack" events for adding to it, and that "evil" characters do something to add some color to these events as well. As both the community and the GMs need to work together for achieving this.

d) Other: Chances of success should be based on a realistic approach, as this is a RP based game, no big luck or big jinx. I would suggest that GMs have some command to read the stats and skills of other characters to define the chances properly. For example, a charismatic character would have a better chance of convincing someone to give him something without doing another errand, etc. Also each event should have higher or lower chances of success (Something that is also known as Difficulty level in other games)

a) I prefer big epic events, a RPG should have more thrill than real life, I am with most and would like to have opportunities to roleplay some kind of "hero", although "A pen and a speech can be more powerful than a sword" and thus "heroic deed" not necessarily is something on the lines of "killing/destroying evil cult/invasion from Stone Labyrinths/ etc." Also perhaps a smaller event could develop into something bigger.

b) Yes, quite. Still I would enjoy a lot events that are less predictable on their outcomes and that are non-linear

a) I like it random, just as Role-play is supposed to be. But they should happen more frequently

f) Some of them are unrealistic and questionable IC. Simply put, most of rewards on items seems to be OOC. The classic example is chain mail pants that someone won by doing an event. Why in the death realm would chain mail pants be so rare to the point only one person in Hydlaa has them? Items that are given as rewards should be considered IC as rare items, unless they can be bought somewhere else(And chain mail pants being a rare item IC is simply absurd).

Natrina

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • The Dark Empire
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2007, 02:53:39 pm »
  a) GMT+0/GMT+2

b) 1-2

a) Role-play

c) Some of them

e) Other: crashes. They really are a turn off.

c) Sometimes

a) I prefer big epic events

Cool If you joined in one, do you enjoy GM events?
  b) Yes, quite.

10) And at last, rewards. What do you think about the rewards in the events. Think realistic for this one.

"I had a dream of a Golden Darkness."
Guild Leader of The Imperial Trades.
Hail the Dark Empire

Edicho

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2007, 04:10:26 pm »
  a) GMT+0/GMT+2

a) 0 --- unfortunately :(

e) No preferance.

4) Do the events last too long?
  b) No

b) OOC intteruptions

c) A mixture of both

a) They are good as it is. No wonder you don't get a suit of heavy armour from a mushroom collector.

Proglin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2007, 07:54:15 pm »
Will we get to hear about any decisions that are made by the GM team based on this survey?

Yup, one way or another you will :)
yours, the entertainer

Tial

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2007, 12:09:15 am »
  f) GMT-9/GMT-11 {I skewed this answer, because I play very late at night.}

a) 0
I've seen the 'Event' button in the Quests info window, but had no idea what it was for.

3) What Type of events do you prefer?
  f) All the above

e) No idea; I haven't participated in one yet.

e) Other... No idea; I haven't participated in one yet.

d) Other... A mixture of chances; not always hard, not always easy.

c) A mixture of both

8) Cool If you joined in one, do you enjoy GM events?
  e) what's a GM event?

d) A mixture of both

10) And at last, rewards. What do you think about the rewards in the events. Think realistic for this one.
  e) No idea; I haven't participated in one yet.

Alexanddra

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2007, 05:45:50 am »
1,a
2,a
3,c
4a,
5, not seen one
6,c
7,d
8,e
9,c
10,d

The Wandering Djinn

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2007, 06:56:12 am »

01. What time-zone do you live in?

d) GMT+9/GMT+12

02. How many GM events did you participate in as a whole?

b) 1-2

03. What Type of events do you prefer?

e) No preferance.

04. Do the events last too long?

b) No

05. What do you dislike most when it comes to events?

b) OOC intteruptions

06. GM events are made so that the players have a 99% chance of winning. Is it a good idea to lower this chance, making it so that a player can loose?

d) Other............ Make them varied over all manner of rewards - some where only 1 participant wins something to others where all participants get something, even where all get the same thing

07. Small events always tend to be more realistic. Big events are always... big. Do you prefer Big epic events, or small events such as a woman in need of herbs?

c) A mixture of both

08. If you joined in one, do you enjoy GM events?

a) A LOT!

09. GM events are random, cause otherwise it would be OOC. Do you prefer random events, or would you like to see a forum post announing one?

10. And at last, rewards. What do you tink about the rewards in the events. Think realistic for this one.

- running PlaneShift Mac OS X Tiger (10.4.11) Client, on an Apple iMac G5 2GHz PowerPC processor, 2GB DDR SDRAM, an ATI Radeon 9600 graphics card with 128MB VRAM, a 20-inch active-matrix LCD widescreen display, and a 250GB Serial ATA hard drive... so what's your excuse, huh?

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2007, 10:45:56 am »

a) GMT+0/GMT+2
  d) 6-10
  a) Role-play
  +
  c) Riddles and puzzle solving.
  c) Some of them
  Most are good, but this scavenger hunt in the BD area I attended once took incredibly long due to organizational mistakes.
  b) OOC intteruptions
  c) A mixture of both
If you joined in one, do you enjoy GM events?
  a) A LOT!
  c) Couldn't care less.
  But maybe the very biggest ones could be announced with a story on the forum or something.

Both a and c make sense, they should simply be realistic.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 10:49:33 am by ThomPhoenix »
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

John80sk

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2007, 08:33:57 pm »
  e) GMT-8

a) 0

e) No preferance/all of the above

e) N/A

c) A mixture of both

e) what's a GM event? :P

d) I think some events advanced notice can be given so long as it can be done in an IC way

Jangeol Bakieck the Scarred
Dameve Angelun the Insane
Ehatihen the Cowardly Kran

Vexonee

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2007, 06:51:09 pm »

e) GMT-5/ GMT-8

b) 1-2

a) Role-play

b) No

b) OOC interruptions
OOC banter and chatter in main about the event, while trying to participate in the event, makes following the IC comments difficult when there is a large group of players in one spot.

a) Yes, it increases excitement.

c) A mixture of both

b) Yes, quite.

c) Couldn't care less.

toxic3

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2007, 07:09:20 pm »

a) GMT+0/GMT+2

d) 6-10

c) Riddles and puzzle solving.

c) Some of them

b) OOC interruptions

c) A mixture of both

b) Yes, quite.