Author Topic: search functionality  (Read 617 times)

bilbous

search functionality
« on: March 11, 2007, 12:15:01 pm »
Could the search function be replaced with or could we have added google search targeted to this site? The inability to search for an exact phrase is a very large deficiency of the forum software.

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
Re: search functionality
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 01:25:35 pm »
Unless there is a mod for it i dont see any one doing it as it would be reversed everytime they upgrade the forum.

Xanacru

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 01:55:55 pm »
You can search for an exact phrase but you must include it in quotes. Here is a link to SMF User Help for the Search function:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=help;page=searching

Quote Marks

To put this in a nutshell, searching for simple machines forum will return any or all of these three words, but enclosing the search string in double quote marks (ie "simple machines forum") will return only the entire phrase.

I just tried it here and it seems to work correctly.

bilbous

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 02:11:20 pm »
I tried that too but "ring of the past" returned no hits so it did not appear to work for me. hmm now it finds this post and nothing else, perhaps it it case sensitive. Nope "Ring of the Past" found only this post too, maybe because the phrase is in quotations in the post. I know we were talking about it in a Wish List thread.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 02:15:09 pm by bilbous »

Xanacru

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 02:23:46 pm »
It works correctly for me whether I type "ring of the past" or "Ring of the Past". Seems to make no difference on case sensitivity.

Here is a screenshot of the initial search results after typing "ring of the past" in double quote marks

http://img471.imageshack.us/img471/1695/searchresultsoa6.png

*edit*

I know why it's only finding this thread for you. You are only searching from "Forum Issues" subforum. You need to either click "Home" (or "PlaneShift") to go to the main forum root or use "Advanced Search" and check all the forums you want to perform a search in. :)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 02:30:04 pm by Xanacru »

bilbous

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 02:32:11 pm »
Odd indeed, here is my result http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/2812/search1ue2.jpg

hmm perhaps let me see.

Looks like you are right but I was pretty sure I tried the advanced search before I posted this thread. Guess my cold has me a little more befuddled than usual :oops:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 02:36:16 pm by bilbous »

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 02:33:56 pm »
Are you limiting your search to a specific time or forum section?
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

bilbous

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 02:38:36 pm »
I think you can close or remove this thread now, seems to be much ado about nothing. I did not realize that the standard search is restricted to the sub-forum you are in by default, or so it seems.

emeraldfool

• Veteran
  • Irish (adj.): Cynical; morally bankrupt
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio (or at least what I've bothered to upload...)
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 02:39:30 pm »
Odd indeed, here is my result http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/2812/search1ue2.jpg

hmm perhaps let me see.

Looks like you are right but I was pretty sure I tried the advanced search before I posted this thread. Guess my cold has me a little more befuddled than usual :oops:

Interesting number of PMs. A chance glimpse into your psyche :P