Author Topic: Mac vs PC?  (Read 660 times)

Efflixi Aduro

• Veteran
  • O_o
    • View Profile
Mac vs PC?
« on: March 24, 2007, 07:54:35 pm »
Hi there. :)

Ok, so I'm about to finish up my senior year of high school which means ill be going off to college next year. I'm going to get a laptop when I graduate because my desktop isn't up to my standards and I need a portable computer. So, I have about 2 grand to drop on the laptop of my choice. At first I wanted the mac power book because by the time I graduate the new version of OS X will come out. But, being someone who's always used a PC I'm not too sure about a mac. I'll need the computer for word processing and other school related uses which should be no problem. But, I also want to use the computer to play games and download music and stuff. I've looked at games for macs and they hardly release any so I'm scared to dump out so much money on a computer ill never use for games, and I don't want to be bound down to iTunes. Can anyone give me some advice on if I should go with a mac or a PC? :detective:

PS: Linux lovers, SHOO.  :innocent:
Lol Internet

Idoru

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Mac vs PC?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 08:05:44 pm »
I would always go with the PC unless you intend to do some hardcore multimedia work (if that still applies to MACs, its been so long since I used one). A PC is much more versatile than the MAC. And as for the Linux comment, you are aware that MAC OSX is very closely related to Linux?

"May there only be peaceful and cheerful Earth Days to come for our beautiful Spaceship Earth as it continues to spin and circle in frigid space with its warm and fragile cargo of animate life."

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 08:47:57 pm by zanzibar »
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Induane

• Veteran
  • What should I put here?
    • View Profile
    • Vaalnor Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 11:58:18 pm »
I would always go with the PC unless you intend to do some hardcore multimedia work (if that still applies to MACs, its been so long since I used one). A PC is much more versatile than the MAC. And as for the Linux comment, you are aware that MAC OSX is very closely related to Linux?

Technically OSX is more closely related to BSD, since it uses BSD unix base for its darwin kernel.  That said nowadays, the macs are more expensive but quite good machines.  They now also use x86 processors and so ports are far easier.  Combine that with the fact that wine now works in osx x86 as well as crossover mac, many windows apps are available for macs without a port even, including half life 2 and probably world of warcraft.  OSX has the added advantage of being a piece of software that is rarely targeted by viruses and spyware so you may find that a huge advantage in a college setting where viruses like to get root and spread in all that lovely file sharing atmosphere :D :D   And if you really need, you can use bootcamp to install windows xp and probably vista as well in parallel so that you can simply dual boot for windows if you really must have (insert latest and greatest game here).  On the other hand if budget is a big issue you can simply build or buy a comparibly powerful PC and install linux on it.

miadon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 10:13:42 am »
so basically your REAL question is: "windows" or "mac os x"? as saying PC or Mac is more refering to the system rather than the OS.

Anyway for what you need, you can get cheap second hand P4 that can do the job more than fine.
- MiadonCam (Refresh page to see live in game Miadon Action!!)

Efflixi Aduro

• Veteran
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 10:37:14 pm »
so basically your REAL question is: "windows" or "mac os x"? as saying PC or Mac is more refering to the system rather than the OS.

Anyway for what you need, you can get cheap second hand P4 that can do the job more than fine.

the money isnt the issue its which one to spend my money on :]

i didnt think about bootcamp though, i might get a mac and install xp onto it too
Lol Internet

Nurahk

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 10:44:11 pm »
Doesn't Mac vs PC fit into religion :P

I always go PC, because it's more mainstrean.  I imagine Mac has some points over PC and vice versa.  But, Macs are overpriced imo.

Efflixi Aduro

• Veteran
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 07:33:03 pm »
I've decided to go with another pc when i can afford it later on ill get a pc and a mac.
Now the question is what brand. I hate compaq and gateway just because of personally experience and I've lost my trust in HP after that lawsuit.
Does anyone like sony vaio? I heard they recently recalled a lot of laptops..
Lol Internet

Robinmagus

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Pixies!!
    • View Profile
Talamir - DeT, Dark Empire, etc, etc, etc.

Idoru

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 02:59:12 am »
Yeah, sony withdrew some laptops because the batteries were a little too powerful ;)

And those two companies listed above make some pretty cool laptops :)

"May there only be peaceful and cheerful Earth Days to come for our beautiful Spaceship Earth as it continues to spin and circle in frigid space with its warm and fragile cargo of animate life."

Soripe

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 09:57:39 am »
I've sold pcs for about 3 years (at both best buy and circuit city), and been working on them since i was about 9 (im 22 now). I personally can tell you out of all the comments seen here if you are going to buy a pc get a Sony Vaio, an Acer, an Emachine, or an Alienware. DO NOT and i repeat DO NOT buy an HP, Compaq, or Gateway. If you decide to go dell spend more than $1000 if you dont you are going to get alot of cut corners and problems. Just my 2 cents.
"I spend days in this grubby mine, but where am I going? Where did I come from? Hitting a dirt wall is not the way to find out" Soripe stares at his rock pick for a moment "But I won't get very far without tria, better get back to mining" as he swings at the loose dirt in search of gold.

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 10:29:52 am »
my opinions on the choice.

first mac has always had the sexier looking machine. before the case moding anyways.

but, i don't like working on macs. the error message is invariably it doesn't work, i don't know why, have a nice day. where as windows will tell you what is wrong, usually crypticly but it will tell, and *nix... too dang many of them.

but you're the one who has to stare it for a few years.... so choose wisely.
may laanx frighten the shadow from my path.
hardly because the shadow built the lexx.
the shadow will frighten laanx from my path.