Author Topic: a complaint about player<->mob combat  (Read 1223 times)

bilbous

a complaint about player<->mob combat
« on: March 27, 2007, 12:38:27 pm »
I do not like it that a mob can kill you when you are "too far to attack" nor do I like it when they need not face you but you do them. This is something I think needs to be fixed but I have no idea how it can be done which is why this is a complaint and not a wish.

Gharan

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: a complaint about player<->mob combat
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 12:47:45 pm »
I agree with Bilbous, mob combat seems to be very tedious and seeing "you are too far away to attack" and a few other messages constantly flashing through your screen can be very annoying. I'm sure this will be fixed in the future though, for now we just have to wait.

In my opinion mob combat was better in 0.3.017 than 018, i'm not trying to put anybody's work down, it just was.

bilbous

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 12:49:59 pm »
I don't have a real problem with the combat those are just minor annoyances I felt the need to express.

Gharan

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 12:55:31 pm »
Mine are virtually the same, mainly just system messagess like the one I mentioned flying through the middle of your screen can be very off putting when fighting mobs. I bet they're even more of annoyance when dueling.

lordraleigh

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 09:52:18 pm »
Perhaps a player character could automatically move towards the mob to stay in combat range before initiating attack, it is logical that such thing would be possible, as it would remove part of the reliance on player skills on synchrony for combat, and adding to that, a /retreat, which gives your enemy an extra attack instead of the old player skill based "hit and run" could work as well. Then just spice up the tactical elements and we character skills on combat itself will make a difference, while the players focus on the tactical and strategic side(would be rather interesting for "guild" wars).

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 10:01:40 pm »
I do not like it that a mob can kill you when you are "too far to attack" nor do I like it when they need not face you but you do them. This is something I think needs to be fixed but I have no idea how it can be done which is why this is a complaint and not a wish.

NPCs aren't intelligent enough for that to work.  NPCs having to face their target has exploit written all over it.
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Valorius Rageway

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Champion duelist of the realm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 02:13:24 pm »
NPCs having to face their target has exploit written all over it.

It also has realism written all over it.
Queen and leader of The Order of Daggers

Induane

• Veteran
  • What should I put here?
    • View Profile
    • Vaalnor Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 05:27:50 am »
You could do two things to get this implemented correctly.  First, simply introduce a POV cone for NPC's.  Second, if I am in combat in real life and you move so quickly you get out of my field of view then I am pretty sure you are coming up behind me.  As a result I will likely either take evasive action or flail about wildly and randomly with my weapon behind me in the hopes of thwarting your attack long enough for me to turn around.  So, when you get out of POV of an NPC then for a short time period their dodge could go up, and they could attack with a lower roll probability of landing a blow.  Serverside they could also then just "hear" you (actually looking up your coordinates) and spin to face you.  I think it would be overall more realistic, and helps remove some of the exploitative aspects of it, particularly when you are facing an NPC thats a tough match for you.  If their dodge is good enough that you have a hard time already you won't be zipping around all the time behind them hoping to land a lucky blow because they will probably dodge your attack and may land a hit you really cannot afford.

Valorius Rageway

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Champion duelist of the realm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 02:23:16 pm »

NPCs aren't intelligent enough for that to work.  NPCs having to face their target has exploit written all over it.

By exploit, of course, you mean reality.

Yes, if you get behind someone, they should be virtually defenseless to your attacks, and very limited in the attacks they can land in return. There are spin move attacks that should be implemented, but if the players dont have em, neither should the mobs.
Queen and leader of The Order of Daggers