Author Topic: Ladders  (Read 1073 times)

bilbous

Ladders
« on: April 02, 2007, 12:04:23 am »
Is there some reason why the ladders are particularly hard to fix? It would seem to me that they would be perfectly fine as solid objects (ramps really or even stairs) with an invisible texture where the rungs and risers are not, instead of being individually crafted. Perhaps that is not possible with this engine but I find it really annoying to be unable to enter the two watchtowers and talk to the people there. It has been posted on the bugtracker since Nov 1 and possibly before.  Having a look at the bug gives me an inkling of why it is unfixed as it seems to require recompiling the whole area. I don't really understand why that is but they seem not to be discrete objects.

Ah well, I just hope those guys are not important for any quests. Do not take this as excessive criticism, this is the complaint forum and I am complaining. I do realize there is often more to seemingly simple problems. From the bug comments it appears the overall area was built by stacking misshapen bicycle tires (layers of cliffs) but this might be a misconception too.

Piker

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Ladders
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 03:10:40 am »
There is an easy technique for climbing those ladders, but i'm not sure i could post it as it might be considered a spoiler?

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 03:38:49 am »
No spoiler - I'm guessing it's either strafing or jumping :) Or an odd combination of various, similar button smashings.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Piker

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 05:17:22 am »
Ok, stand side on to the ladder and power strafe jump all the way up  :) Nice and easy.

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 08:34:27 am »
I've done that and even that doesn't work, especially towards the bottom.  I jump at a slight angle and towards the sides of the ladder.  It takes awhile but it can be done.
--Overseer, Explorers Guild.

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 09:33:24 am »
We used to be able to get up in those watchtowers pretty easy, until something was changed. I suppose it could be changed back.
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

bilbous

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 10:04:26 am »
Perhaps, for the time being, the npc's could be moved to ground level so they can be interacted with more easily. They can currently be targeted with the /target command but I think they are too far for /target_context.

Induane

• Veteran
  • What should I put here?
    • View Profile
    • Vaalnor Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 06:17:13 am »
a ramp could easily be added that was invisible, over the top of the hand crafted ladder as well.  The issue there is that it would be too steep.  It would be possible to install a set of invisible stairs along it though.  Export it as a genmesh but use the visibility tag to no  and set cast shadows to no to avoid phantom shadowing

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 01:38:55 pm »
Perhaps, for the time being, the npc's could be moved to ground level so they can be interacted with more easily. They can currently be targeted with the /target command but I think they are too far for /target_context.

Wouldn't be much of a watch tower then.   :P
--Overseer, Explorers Guild.

bilbous

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 11:20:41 pm »
More like a prison tower as it is now ::|

Ralleyon

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Protector in the Survivors of Vaern
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 12:05:15 pm »
If you're referring to the Watchtower ladders in the Bronze doors region, climbing them is simply a matter of jumping a bit to get up. My only problem is that sometimes I hop too much and go overboard. :D I remember at one point that I flew straight into the abyss  :lol:

Workarounds:

Most ladders thought can be climbed by simply walking on them. One exception - the tower of Hydlaa, where a last step is missing. There, you have to be very careful and jump up and to the left a bit. Changing cameras also helps a bit to visualize your position better.

Going down ladders is very easy - walk onto one and move a tad sideways. Then, use the strafe button to go down that ladder just as would expect it to happen normally.

Hope it helps!
To see the world in a grain of sand
And Heaven in a wild flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

[William Blake - Auguries of Innocence]

bilbous

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 12:15:16 pm »
Perhaps there are more differences between the clients than we might might expect. I only play in Linux and jumping like a rodeo bull still won't get me up those ladders. I did manage to get 3/4 the way up the first one the last time I tried. Falling off the second or third extension can be fatal.

I would expect the windows client to be more tolerant because tolerating bad interfaces is kind of a "thing" with MS. I am not getting down on the devs with this comment as you have to work with what you have available.

Ralleyon

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Protector in the Survivors of Vaern
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 03:25:51 pm »
Hmmm. I'll install on under Linux as well once I've done my hardware upgrade (in a couple of days) and get back to you on that. However, if my memory serves me, I haven't had this problem whenever I've played under Linux.
To see the world in a grain of sand
And Heaven in a wild flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

[William Blake - Auguries of Innocence]

bilbous

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 03:37:15 pm »
I used to be able to get up them before the last couple updates, perhaps I get too irritated now thrashing never usually helps ;) It certainly seems much harder.