Author Topic: Damage balance  (Read 538 times)

zhai

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Damage balance
« on: April 06, 2007, 10:24:27 am »
First off, thank you Devs. I see that despite RL issues and lack of time, you still manage to try new things and move PS forward. It's a bumpy ride, too slow for some to notice sometimes, but there are constant improvements and it's important to acknoweledge them, no matter how small they are.

I want to say I'm very pleased with the latest damage tweaking done (silverweave and iron weapons, and damage output in general). I think this was long needed as it makes it impossible for any half trained character to have one hit kills, while those who spend their time and tria mastering a combat skill do have that chance (which, makes sense having become "masters" of it). It validates the reason to train a skill other than just "maxing out" and can provide a good element of RP. Not to mention that now the stronger mobs can be a real threat if you're not grouped. And it might be just my impression but, have DPs also been tweaked? That needed some attention too.

Now, all in the spirit of balancing things out, I have a little question: why do combat skills have different max levels? Isn't the damage each weapon inflicts and their speed a strong enough difference? I understand some might be easier to learn but that doesn't have to mean that they can't have the same maximum level. I'd like to hear what the rationale behind this is. Just to know, really (I'm rather curious).

Well, keep up the good work devs! Kudos and thank you again. :D
:: The Flaming Feather :: Lady of the Rangers ::

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
Re: Damage balance
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 10:42:10 am »
I have a little remark regarding the balancing of weapons as well. It seems that with a relatively low dagger skill someone can damage an ulbernaut while with a significantly higher skill in axes for example this is not possible yet. Can anyone confirm this ability to strike depending on weapon type?

Personally it doesn't seem very fair to give a specific weapon both a quicker strike time and increased chance to hit .. especially not against a big, strong leathery or armored opponent.
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

zhai

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 11:11:20 am »
Last time I tried daggers on an ulber they hardly did any damage, which makes a lot of sense... and I'm talking about high quality daggers at level 40...
:: The Flaming Feather :: Lady of the Rangers ::

socia

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 11:16:19 am »
I have a little remark regarding the balancing of weapons as well. It seems that with a relatively low dagger skill someone can damage an ulbernaut while with a significantly higher skill in axes for example this is not possible yet. Can anyone confirm this ability to strike depending on weapon type?

Personally it doesn't seem very fair to give a specific weapon both a quicker strike time and increased chance to hit .. especially not against a big, strong leathery or armored opponent.

hiting ulbernout with dark daggers for 1~5dmg you need to be lvl 36~40 daggers
hiting ulbernout with dark daggers for 10~50dmg you have to be 40+
and so on

Every ulbernouthave different stats, they are easy to hit, but hit back hard or hard to hit and don't hit so much.. Or hard to hit and killing you in one hit.

Devs did a lot in balancing and we only can hope that they'll keep doing  X-/

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 12:02:41 pm »
Ah I see, guess I need some more ulbernaut hunting experience .. thanks for the clarifications. :D
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru