Author Topic: a request from the settings team  (Read 29292 times)

Oomi

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: a request from the settings team
« Reply #285 on: April 12, 2009, 12:42:03 pm »
Prolix,

Hopefully that quest has already been adjusted so that the evidence is lost, compromised or deemed not enough. We do try to make sure there are no quests that would result in the final removal of an NPC from the world, such as by true death or long-term incarceration. That would indeed break the realism a bit (Hi NPC X, didn't I just send you to jail yesterday?) , so if you can think of the name, tell me and I'll check it out.

player_of_games

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 12, 2009, 01:16:24 pm »
nairoht knorg, is the name

it is correct he is being investigated and there is some concrete evidence.
I am not certain they say something like "he will go to jail tomorrow",
but even if they don't, as far as I remember the evidence is pretty convincing.

Wrzlprmft

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
    • here
« Reply #287 on: April 12, 2009, 03:47:44 pm »
But what about those multiple worships without contradiction? Just to go back to my example of a Talad adherent, who worships Laanx a little bit too: As far as I understood it, Talad is quite sympathetic to Laanx and therefore he should not object to it, as long as the worship to him is not reduced. Laanx in turn may hate Talad and his worshippers, but my example should at worst be as bad in Laanx's eyes as the pure Talad worshipper and therefore not experience any disadvantages — assuming of course, that the gods behave logiccally to a certain amount and have no other reason, to object to multiple worship as such.

The solution here is full implementation of factions. We can set it up so that those with a certain level of Talad faction cannot do higher level Laanx religion quests (intolerance on Laanx's part), and also ensure that Laanx faction has little to no effect upon Talad religion quests (tolerance on Talad's part). We are already in progress on this and it will come to pass, it is just not complete as of yet.

Hmm, I am rather interested in the in game reasons against it, than its implementation as rules. However in the spirit of this thread I do not expect an instant answer. Also I could do quite fine with answers like
“Those who worshipped multiple gods have been let down by all of them inexplicably.” (What would religion be without some ineffability?)
or
“When asked about multi-worship, a historian would usually say ‘Have you heard of the plague, fire and earth quake of 593? If you do not want something like this to happen again, do not even think about it!’.”

That it is an unsatisfyingly unexplained issue does not mean, that the answer cannot be short, simple or deus ex machina.

Oomi

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 12, 2009, 11:00:44 pm »
Well, the IG reasons to avoid (OR embrace) multi-worship will vary based on the relationships of the gods being worshipped. Take the examples of the Greek gods Zeus & Hera vs Apollo & Artemis. Zeus & Hera had a "stressful" marriage, and they would show their displeasure with one another by causing problems for the worshippers of the other party. On the opposite end, Apollo & Artemis were twins who cared much for one another and frequently supported each other and their followers. Also, don't rule out the possibility of falsely serving one god in order to take information back to another (risky business)!

In short, multi-worship should be possible (up to a point at least), but know your gods and your reasons for serving them.

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 14, 2009, 10:19:36 am »
You can believe in all the gods all you like, but they are jealous and you can only WORSHIP one.

Pay lip service to all of them if you wish. Make offerings all you like.

The intended implementation is toward difference and individuation among and between the faiths, not toward people holding hands with Talad on one side and Laanx on the other while you go skipping through the death realm to go have tea with Dakkru and the Blackflame.

enderandrew

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Caamasi Disciples
« Reply #290 on: April 14, 2009, 11:44:31 am »
This is just my assumption/impression, but it is hard to believe in and worship Talad without acknowledging the existence of Laanx.  I don't think it behooves anyone to be disrespectful to any god.  So I assume a small level of deference and respect is given to most of the gods, if not all, but like Xillix said, for the most part I think most people can only truly worship one.  The tenets of the various gods will surely conflict at some point, and you have to make a stand where your loyalties lie primarily.
http://caamasi-disciples.com - A SW:TOR Republic guild focused on casual players who want to play "the Good Guy."

Rigwyn

« Reply #291 on: April 14, 2009, 01:07:00 pm »

Do scars form/disappear when a wound is healed via magic or rest, or when one passes though DR ?
 - Are scars permanent, or do they fade, and if so, how long does it typically take ?

Does/May one still feel pain from their fatal injury after they pass though DR ?
 - would it be legit to complain about a soreness while in DR if you got there by diving into the waterfall from the eagle fort ?

Ranah

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 05, 2009, 02:15:44 pm »
How exactly do Nolthrir and Klyros speak when underwater?    I've seen some player suggestions on the forum (that they have special membranes for making sound underwater, for example), but I'm wondering if there's an official Settings Team explanation.

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 05, 2009, 02:37:13 pm »
It is magic.
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 05, 2009, 04:16:48 pm »
You can believe in all the gods all you like, but they are jealous and you can only WORSHIP one.

The intended implementation is toward difference and individuation among and between the faiths, not toward people holding hands with Talad on one side and Laanx on the other while you go skipping through the death realm to go have tea with Dakkru and the Blackflame.
Hmm.  How does it promote diversity?  In a way, it makes everyone the same... worship God A, B, or C to get benefit X, Y, or Z.  Diversity would mean worshiping Gods through lifestyle choices and personal codes.

I thought the worship thing was to enforce the settings?  I didn't know character development was a consideration.
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 05, 2009, 04:18:42 pm »

Hmm.  How does it promote diversity?  In a way, it makes everyone the same... worship God A, B, or C to get benefit X, Y, or Z.  Diversity would mean worshiping Gods through lifestyle choices and personal codes.

I thought the worship thing was to enforce the settings?  I didn't know character development was a consideration.

It is magic.
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Zalera13

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 16, 2009, 09:37:14 pm »
If this has not been answered

Where did the other gods come from?

What is the exact organization of the relgions? Preists/Priestesses Clertics and such
You know you want to lol. You know you do. Give in to the lol. YOU can not fight the power of the lol!

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 17, 2009, 03:21:19 am »
About the last question: A religion is not really a hierarchy of its worshippers - they may well be represented via guilds, which will have their own structure.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 18, 2009, 09:12:05 pm »
About the last question: A religion is not really a hierarchy of its worshippers - they may well be represented via guilds, which will have their own structure.
How do priests of Laanx and Talad and the various public works (temples etc) fit into that?  Is there a non-player guild responsible for the iron temple for instance?
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Shadow1490

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 19, 2009, 05:33:40 pm »
Do Enkidukai and Kylros shed?
Optimists are just cynics waiting to happen.