Author Topic: A way to recover certain quest items.  (Read 842 times)

Leafmint

• Traveller
    • View Profile
A way to recover certain quest items.
« on: April 10, 2007, 09:08:41 pm »
Say a quest is not repeatable it could happen that for some reason a quest item goes missing from inventory. A plausable example (where no fault is involved although there may be others where it is) would be if a person is subject to a weakness spell, the inventory gets dropped and picked up by another. Assume the quest item has no eceonomic value in this case.
At this point the quest is irrevocably lost since it cannot be restarted (discarded).
If non-discardability is a given then possibly allowing reinstatement of a quest item where the quest has been given, the item obtained but lost, might smooth things over.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: A way to recover certain quest items.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 09:23:39 pm »
Would this not be exploitable? The very reason some quests are not repeatable is so that you cannot get the same item more than once.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Leafmint

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 01:56:17 pm »
Possibly.. depending on how its done. As it stands it is possible to have a quest you cannot drop, cannot finish, or cannot restart. Keeping in mind that quests are much more important to the world than say a year ago, then it may happen than you need quest x to proceed to area y. As the quest is not completable by you, then you are permanently barred from area y...
So rather call it an extended quest tracking feature.
Alternatvely.... Those may just be the hazards of existing in Yliakum.
Either way... just a wish... no more

P.S. When I say quest item i do not mean the reward item but an item needed to complete a quest. Just realised my phrasing may have been incorrect
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 02:11:28 pm by Leafmint »

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 02:01:51 pm »
This wish arises from the presence of several quest bugs that the team is aware of, and will be working on fixes for. Needless to say, we wish to avoid scenarios where you are locked out of a quest with nowhere to go, and many other quests suffering as consequence. I think right now we'll just have to hang tight for these problems to be solved, instead of coding work-arounds.

Leafmint

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 02:12:17 pm »
 :) ok... And thank you

cyber

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 08:09:30 pm »
How about the same style that Might and Magic 7 used. If you lost a quest item you goto the magistrate and for a fee he gives you the lost goods.

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 08:25:28 pm »
That can still be exploited so i dont see that happening. We should just wait as karyuu said and see what the devs do to fix this problem.

Leafmint

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 06:30:51 pm »
That can still be exploited so i dont see that happening. We should just wait as karyuu said and see what the devs do to fix this problem.

The fact that one proposed solution (albeit possibly terminally flawed in itself) to a possible systemic problem (as opposed to the more regular variety of bug) can be exploited, does not mean that all thinking should stop there.
A more productive way would be to look at what a proposed solution aims to address. It may very well be a starting point or a possible angle of attack on a problem that may occur in future.
Having a wishlist, methinks, is the kind of thing where input is invited. Even the most uninformed input can sometimes spark a new line of though in someone who has the knowledge and skill.
So instead of saying..... Can be exploited.... kill it, try the following:

a) What does the suggestion aim to address or improve
b) Could this become an issue or systemic problem in future.
c) If the current way of thinking may lead to such a problem then:
d) What kind of solution would best suit the problem.
e) What are the real inplications of particular solutions. (eg... what IS the exploit)
f) Can possible exploits be avoided in developing a solution.
At this point healthy debate can start.

NumbSkull

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 09:15:10 pm »
<.<... why not be able to get the items for the quest once started as many times as you would like ...but only be able to compleat it once & any left overs deleted? sure people will try to sell the items off to n00bs ...but i have seen games with tradeing bans on certain items & once droped they dissapear so no one can get them... just an idea

neko kyouran

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 09:20:51 pm »
or simply make quest related items (take this item and go see X and have him do Y with it type of items, not quest reward types, although those can fall into this as well) character specific.  so that once the character gets the item, the only thing they can do with it is destroy it, as it is unable to be traded.  there goes your exploit problem. 

course, this also then ties in with another, older wish... the ability to destroy items from your inventory.  :D

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 09:23:38 pm »
Neko beat me to it :) It's not too bad of an idea. Your only choice would either be to use the items up in the quests (useless if a quest is a one-time deal) or destroy them. In addition, such a thing would prevent your quest items from going missing at all, except in the case of technical bugs, thus effectively taking care of the need for this wish ("In case items are going to be lost..." "Let's just make it impossible to lose them.")

Raleigh

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 09:39:35 pm »
course, this also then ties in with another, older wish... the ability to destroy items from your inventory.  :D

Don't worry about that as it already works :), just throw the item at a furnace and it will be destroyed

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 03:40:56 pm »
"No Drop" items are the normal term I'm used to for what you're calling character-specific items.  We have discussed doing this several times because it does really make a lot of things harder to exploit, but Talad doesn't want to because he doesn't think it is a realistic rule or feature.

neko kyouran

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 06:36:25 pm »
in the land of magic, how is it not "realistic" to think that along the way, certain items can be attuned to only want to held by their "master" and once the item finds it's "master" it does not want to be held by anyone but them?

bilbous

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 07:06:05 pm »
One problem with undroppable items is that they tend to chew up your inventory space after a while. It can get really annoying.