Author Topic: Death Realm  (Read 5818 times)

geostik

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: Death Realm
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 04:12:23 pm »
guys the only one i found there was a some dwarf that didn't answered my desperate calls. no one came there. some did, but i wasn't able to follow cos of the darkness. i later found that by turning up my luminosity on the monitor(a whole up) i can see much more clearly without losing the detail. still i've been busy and to be honest i played something else in my short free time, since my first experience with the game wasn't such a pleasant  one.

Hodruv

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2007, 08:13:09 am »
First, you did notice that you can run the game with a -fullbright option, didn't you? Makes it easier by far to find your way around dark places such as the DR. Second, people's urge to help you depends quite a lot on how you ask them. Remember, this is a roleplaying game. So don't shout and if possible, don't use /tells. Also, do NOT use 1337-5P34K. Don't lose your patience, someone will be bound to help you sooner or later, in fact, most people will gladly help you, if you ask them nicely IC, even if there IS the occasional black sheep. If all else fails, try simply following someone.

True, the DR is somewhat less populated since dying from falling is not as easy as it used to be *shudders at the thought of slipping 3 feet and suddenly waking up in the DR*, however, in my experience there's almost always someone around who's making a beeline for the exit, although lately some people seem to die on purpose to enter the DR for *ahem* other reasons.

Again, don't give up and don't lose your patience. You'll see that getting out is only hard the first one or two times.
--
"The Truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head!" -- Terry Pratchett

ty

• Traveller
  • Raiki Naikuri
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2007, 06:02:35 am »
i had a problem before when i was new but i then found out it wass my screen brightness
before i could not see the path, although now it is visible the dr is not so long infact most people find it is quicker to die than to run all the way back to their birth place

if anyone needs any help in escaping the dr i would be happy to help ;)
Hail my mentor Lord Stlyee and my fellow brothers in the legion of honour!
I fight for honour, truth and peace!

zkin

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2007, 06:58:17 pm »
I FINALLY FOUND THE EXIT!  It took me more than a year, but I found it!  (insert expression of shock, released tension, and joy here)
Yay!
Zkin of Insandustries
Founder of the Circle of Mages (retired)

evil scotsman

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2007, 01:00:37 pm »
DR was scary the first time, and it took me a while to find the exit, many false starts, and one or two falls, I finally asked fir some assistance, and some kind soul helped lead me and another out, since then I've been able to offer the same assistance to others. In fact these days I will ask if anyone desires a guide, or would like to find their way themselves, as some prefer to find their own way, in fact if DR was larger, and had more to do i'd seriously consider moving in on a more permanent basis, since I do seem prone to mishaps ;)
All right, look at my shoes
Not quite the walkin' blues
Don't fight, too much to lose
Can't fight the runnin' blues.

Zeyn Scauts, Bluae Mohune and Kighise Moromoreck in Yliakum

Copperneedle

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2007, 08:18:42 pm »
((I too fell victim to the death realm. Played the game for three days until I died for the first time -due to lagging in a fight- three days and not a single death, then I died 57 times falling off of the path, running into the wrong room and wiped out by the big guys walking around... but mostly just falling off the path. Everyone is right, once you know the path it is VERY easy to get back next time. Honestly though, there are a few places that I would suggest making the path a bit wider as the wall leans over the path and can cause some tricky "getting stuck" areas. Two areas I still find myself falling over the edge time and time again because I bumped the wall and got knocked off the path. Walk, don't run is good advice.

Nukm

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2007, 07:41:59 am »
i dont really understand your problem

when i died on my first day of playing, i just walked around in the death realm, got into some dead ends... after like 2-3 mins i couldnt get any further, so i just followed some other players and was out 2mins later...
and now that i have been there 4-5 times it doesnt even feel as a real punishent for dying, cause your back in town with full health in a manner of minutes without losing anything

Jeraphon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2007, 05:00:32 pm »
and now that i have been there 4-5 times it doesnt even feel as a real punishent for dying, cause your back in town with full health in a manner of minutes without losing anything

We're aware. Changes are a-comin', and it's gonna be like a gold mine change up in here.  :detective:

evil scotsman

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2007, 05:28:16 pm »
Actually far from being a punishment I have actually used it as a shortcut from hydlaa to akkio with my menki char, I do hope that future changes make this something i'd rather not do, it feels like cheating, even though it's within the mechanics of the game.

Death should be something to be avoided, not something to be used as a rapid transport system ;)
All right, look at my shoes
Not quite the walkin' blues
Don't fight, too much to lose
Can't fight the runnin' blues.

Zeyn Scauts, Bluae Mohune and Kighise Moromoreck in Yliakum

Morla Phlint

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Rrivaln hrraln mo hetakh! (Enkien)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2007, 10:23:01 am »
Actually far from being a punishment I have actually used it as a shortcut from hydlaa to akkio with my menki char, I do hope that future changes make this something i'd rather not do, it feels like cheating, even though it's within the mechanics of the game.

Death should be something to be avoided, not something to be used as a rapid transport system ;)

Well, I think that the Death Realm shouldn't be used as a shortcut only because the game mechanics allow it. We all know that there are still many things to be polished in Planeshift but using them this way feels like exploit to me as well. Not that I haven't done it. There were one or two times when being at the Bronze Doors: I didn't want to run back the same way to Hydlaa, so I died and traveled from Oja to Hydlaa  :woot:  Usually I use the normal way to travel though.

greetings,
morla

since 0.3.019 Crystal Blue || Sometimes a ragequit is the right decision.

Knyssa

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2007, 09:55:05 am »
((I too fell victim to the death realm. Played the game for three days until I died for the first time -due to lagging in a fight- three days and not a single death, then I died 57 times falling off of the path, running into the wrong room and wiped out by the big guys walking around... but mostly just falling off the path. Everyone is right, once you know the path it is VERY easy to get back next time. Honestly though, there are a few places that I would suggest making the path a bit wider as the wall leans over the path and can cause some tricky "getting stuck" areas. Two areas I still find myself falling over the edge time and time again because I bumped the wall and got knocked off the path. Walk, don't run is good advice.

Well I am glad to see that it isn't just me after weeks of trying to find my way out of the DR I finally deleted the character and started over....and yes I did a) ask for help in character...  b) try following the crowd (when I could find one)... c) lighten my monitor as much as I could (but I was still walking the ramps blind)

bilbous

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2007, 10:38:23 am »
Using the brightness controls on the monitor is usually insufficient, use the gamma controls of the video card instead. They seem to have a much larger range. The video card drivers often have a brightness gauge, a strip of  color bars ranging from darkest to lightest, to use for setting an appropriate level for your particular monitor. Tweak the gamma setting until you can see all the bars distinctly and the darkest ones do not merge.

It would be nice if the game had gamma controls but do not expect to see that any time soon.

Ver

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2007, 03:17:50 pm »
Well I am glad to see that it isn't just me after weeks of trying to find my way out of the DR I finally deleted the character and started over....and yes I did a) ask for help in character...  b) try following the crowd (when I could find one)... c) lighten my monitor as much as I could (but I was still walking the ramps blind)

That sounds almost mythically extreme...before I knew my way around the Death Realm I asked others and almost always they answered and helped me out, getting me promptly to the exit.

PiieBoy

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2007, 04:45:33 pm »
I'm not going to ask how to get out, because its a good challenge. But is the exit the big open mouth with the portal thing in it?

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2007, 05:11:21 pm »
I'm not going to ask how to get out, because its a good challenge. But is the exit the big open mouth with the portal thing in it?

yep