Author Topic: Blender in Linux  (Read 345 times)

bilbous

Blender in Linux
« on: April 22, 2007, 01:30:14 pm »
Having installed this today I have one big question that hopefully someone can answer for me. Blender only seems to run in full screen mode and I cannot find a way to access anything else such as tutorials, the desktop or other programs. The help files all require a browser. I was thinking I could run the app on one desktop and access everything else in another but I cannot seem to find hotkey support for switching desktops in KDE. Does Blender support windowed mode and if so how do I access it or failing that does anyone know how to switch desktops by hot-key?

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
Re: Blender in Linux
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 01:37:04 pm »
Hmm, I'm not sure. But that's the reason I always use Gnome instead of KDE.
[/shameless commercial]
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

bilbous

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 01:54:05 pm »
Hehe I have (unspecified) issues with gnome, I can never seem to find anything I want and customization and configuration is all Greek (xml rather) to me.
Never mind I figured it out. I ran blender --help and discovered the -w option which I added to the shortcut on the Kmenu which forces the window border. I can now minimize the blender window to access anything else I need. I have it minimized now  :D

Wired_Crawler

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 01:37:14 pm »
Hmmm... For switching viewports in KDE I use Ctrl-F1, Ctrl-F2 etc., I think those are default combinations (they always work for me). If those bindings  are not working for You, define them in control center, they don't collide with Blender specific hotkeys.
"Close the world, txEn eht nepO."

bilbous

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 10:52:28 pm »
Thanks for the kde hotkey tip, I didn't know them. I looked around but could not find them.