Author Topic: Possible to modify the character?  (Read 1288 times)

ctlmo5

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Possible to modify the character?
« on: April 29, 2007, 02:07:42 am »
Is that possible to create/modify the character?
I only can find a simple modify tutorial.
is there any useful tutorial can show how to do it?

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Possible to modify the character?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 11:52:41 am »
You can modify the textures, but you cannot modify the character models themselves. Is this what you are asking?
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 09:30:08 pm »
Unless you have the original model, it would be rather difficult to do.

ctlmo5

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 12:08:07 am »
So can i create a new character and export into planeshift replace the old one?
if i can: where can i find the tutorial ?

Raleigh

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 12:14:02 am »

An important reminder: If you do that, all the other players of the same race with the "old one" model will look like the same model of your character to you.

ctlmo5

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 12:23:43 am »

An important reminder: If you do that, all the other players of the same race with the "old one" model will look like the same model of your character to you.

ic, so if i have to create a new character, i have to "add" to planeshift not replace it?
is there have any tutorial can use?

Raleigh

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 12:35:53 am »

ic, so if i have to create a new character, i have to "add" to planeshift not replace it?
is there have any tutorial can use?

It's impossible to create an unique race definition for your character(on a database or "hardcoded", I'm not sure where race "tags" are added) so he will be completely different from all others in game, because it would require server side changes, and that won't happen as PS is not open for such things. Perhaps you could PM someone about how to submit new models and skins to improve the limited resources of it instead of making an exclusive skin and model for your character?

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 12:41:28 am »
ctlmo5, what modeling application do you use? If it's 3ds max, I can send you a working CAL3D exporter. If it's Blender, you will have to find guides via Google. They exist, so it shouldn't be too hard. But those are the only 3D programs with working exporters.

To export, you need to have a properly modeled character (no illegal polys, unnecessary vertices, etc.), a skeleton attached to the mesh and checked that it deforms the mesh properly, and at least one animation. You can find a CAL3D guide for 3ds max here. Lots of useful information.

ctlmo5

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 12:58:54 am »
i am using Blender and i have a export tool call "Blender2Crystal", i use Blender to may map and weapon and use Blender2Crystal to export into planeshift. However i am not sure can Blender2Crystal export the character or not, because you say "CAL3D exporter" not "PS exporter". 

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 01:28:43 am »
CAL3D is the format our models are exported to, and you need the Blend2Cal3D plugin - which is evidently "now distributed with the latest blender release". So as long as you have the latest Blender version, you should be set.

Wired_Crawler

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 01:51:15 am »
Unfortunatelly, cal3d exporter is no longer in latest Blender distribution (there is no maintainer which would fix it for curren version of Blender). There are several version of exporter floating in the net, the most recent and hopefully working one can be found at http://endercg.altervista.org/. Read the -> following thread at blenderartist.org forum for more information.
Cal3d sources also contain one of versions of exporter (in plugins subdirectory), but I don't know whether it works o not.
"Close the world, txEn eht nepO."

ctlmo5

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 03:16:13 am »
Thank You so much
i already have some base idea.
However i ready want to know did any one pose the tutorial in this forum?
Because i have no idea how to start it.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 03:19:17 am »
There are no character tutorials in this forum. Do you have problems exporting, or beginning the modeling?

ctlmo5

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 05:46:21 am »
I think the model should have some different with the weapon(object), because the modeling should have some animation. And a modeling should able to hold a weapon, and i don't know how to tell PS where is my modeling "hand", and let the model hold a weapon.

If i already have a model, i have no idea how to "add" or "replace" into PS. However i think replace the "old-model" is good enough for me, and  if i can replace the model, that mean the formal of my model is fine.

so i don't know how to start to create model and use it, if there don't have tutorials.
Can you give me more hints, so that i can try to start?

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 11:08:57 am »
I don't use Blender - I use 3ds Max, and thus the exporter for that program is the only one I am familiar with. I can try to give you some advice, but it may not always be helpful.

When it comes to assigning hand slots, look at some of our current .cal3d character files to see how it's done. For example in the ylianm.cal3d file we have:

<!-- sockets to attach weapons -->
    <socket name="head" mesh="0" submesh="0" tri="94" />
    <socket name="righthand" mesh="3" submesh="0" tri="108" />
    <socket name="lefthand" mesh="4" submesh="0" tri="108" />

The mesh and triangle number is something that you find in your 3D application - locate a triangle in the hand, and input it in this form within the .cal3d file of your new model.

All character models need to be split into different meshes - hair, head, torso, hands, legs, feet, and arms. This is to allow the different texture and mesh changes upon equipping armor.

I can't write a modeling tutorial for you right now, and plenty exist on the net anyway. Just keep in mind that you shouldn't exceed 2000 triangles for the entire character, and that for it to animate properly, the important joints like knees and elbows need 3 edges (with a lower number, the mesh would deform in unpretty ways.)

You have to create a model first, then create a skeleton and attach it to the mesh(es) - and check that it moves properly and no vertices move when they shouldn't or don't move at all. Using the 3ds max exporter, I have to export the skeleton first, because all the other parts depend on it. So skeleton first, then different meshes, and then the animation. Again, I can't give you exporter details for Blender because I've never used it. It will be up to you to try to figure it out for the most part.