Author Topic: Missing Child  (Read 1108 times)

Pip

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Missing Child
« on: May 21, 2007, 08:34:42 am »
I received a forwarded email from my brother appealing for everyone to spread the word about Madeleine McCann. I thought I would reach more people in Europe by posting here. Madeleine's uncle says:

"As you are aware my niece, Madeleine, is still missing and I am asking everyone I know to send this as a chain letter i.e. you send it to everyone you know and ask them to do the same, as the story is only being covered in Britain, Eire and Portugal. We don't believe that she is in Portugal anymore and need to get her picture and the story across Europe as quickly as possible. Suggestions are welcome." Phil McCann

The official website is here:  http://www.findmadeleine.com/

Please post on any other discussion forums that you use, especially if you live in Europe and in your own language. Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 08:43:33 am by Pip »

eldoth_terevan

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Child
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 10:48:28 am »
The BBC has been providing very good coverage of this story. This is a terrible thing, our condolences and I am sure we all hope for the best for their family.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 10:50:36 am by eldoth_terevan »

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 12:32:05 pm »
I'm fairly sure that everyone in Europe has heard of this case. Not to take away from the tradgedy of the event of course but anyone who has been near a news channel or talk show on tv or radio has heard it.
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Myriel

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 02:31:11 pm »
Actually - no. I've been watching the news, but I think, Pip is right:
the story is only being covered in Britain, Eire and Portugal
...I heared nothing about it

hitancrias

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 05:17:01 pm »
I heard about it and I'm in the Netherlands. But here the discussion was more about why such things sometimes get very much attention while simmilar tragedies go by practically unnoticed. It was not a big item though, and I can immagine most of the people here wouldn't know about it.
Hitancrias. Herbalist. Explorer.

seperot

• Veteran
  • :G
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 05:23:40 pm »
I heard about it and I'm in the Netherlands. But here the discussion was more about why such things sometimes get very much attention while simmilar tragedies go by practically unnoticed. It was not a big item though, and I can immagine most of the people here wouldn't know about it.

I've been saying that all along...

Its all a political bandwagon now, show your support and you look good in the papers, its sad shes missing (although afaik the mother did just leave her while she went out with her new boyfrind or something) but its kinda insulting that the other thousands of cases like this dont get any airtime at all and this one is never off british tv.

Blea trying to complain and not start people flaming is damned hard :/

Araye

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • The Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 06:21:50 pm »
It's a pretty big story here in the States as well.

I do agree that this is a tragety, but it is one of many that happen every day that receive no coverage.  I hope she is found alive and soon.

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 07:58:13 am »
I don't mean to belittle the thing at all although it may seem like I am but do you not thing that maybe leaving three year olds on their own is a bad idea? It is horrible that stuff like this happens but were they not quite neglegent?
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Garile

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Some people forget it's a game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 08:15:14 am »
*twirls her tail and looks sad*

I truely hope that she is found quickly and unhurt.

I have to admit it does give a bit of a stange feeling knowing it is only one of so many. However we can't change that the news can only show a fragment of such cases unless we would be able to make it happen so rare that whenever it happened it would be big news. It's an inperfect world we live in.
Join the oldest cause.
Characters: Meriner(dead), Garile(dead), Yayelle, Ruicho, Almada

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 08:43:24 am »
I don't mean to belittle the thing at all although it may seem like I am but do you not thing that maybe leaving three year olds on their own is a bad idea? It is horrible that stuff like this happens but were they not quite neglegent?

Parents should be able to leave their kids in a room for 30 min and be a few min walk away. However they can't in this day and age, I know my parents never have or would have done it.

Imo it's positive that a body hasn't been found... but I'm not confident that she'll be found alive. I agree that there's a huge amount of coverage on this one incident, and it's a bit unfair that things like this happen every day elsewhere and nothing is heard about it. It just proves how much power the media has. It's also worth thinking about how many people come close to being abducted. I know one person who nearly did as a child. Scary that there's so many people around who might do it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 08:46:36 am by Xordan »

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 09:32:02 am »
They should be able to but they should know that you can't. In a hypothetical world where you could they wouldn't be neglegent but its well known that you can't.

Feline Prince

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Now you see me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 11:30:26 am »
They were doctors as well weren't they? Seems stupid when there a loads of cases where the parents couldn't do anything to help the situation get nothing in the media whereas the parents where neglable in this case and get all over the news. Doesn't seem like there is much hope any more for Madaline.
Hide where they expect you to... Its what they least expect.

Unnamed_Source

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 04:57:53 am »
If she's not dead then she's been sold into the slave market, being that North Africa is just a stones throw away.

Just cause they got big bucks and have friends with big bucks, they can get this aired 24/7. I wonder now if Beckhem will schill out the big bucks if someone were to go missing in LA.

Now, will the authorities charge the parents with neglegence and take their other kids(if they have any more) away? Oh wait, Mom's not a Crack Ho and Dad's not in prison, ie they have the bucks for a "Get out of Jail" card. Maybe the same one OJ put back into the Community Chest pile.

Like that teenage chick that went missing on some Carribean Dutch island, they put no thought in that they are no longer safe at home, but rather thinking the rest of the world as the "It's a Small World" ride in Disneyland and then are bewildered when they find themslves sitting in a "Tiajuana Jail" situation. Good grief Charlie Brown, people need the back of their heads slapped each time at customs or what? <S L A P> Hey Mon! yus not'n yer kuntry na more! Welcome to (Insert 3rd wold country here)

If nothing else happens in the world, ie Iran blowing up nuke in Bahgdad. We're seeing this till the end of the year. Don't forget, the parents are eventually going to blame, to draw attention away from their own stupidity, the Portugues authorites for some lack or other with the investigation, ie draw it out till the end of the year or beyond. Crud ...

RayvenD

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Feelin' the funk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 08:34:41 am »
It's good to see other people noticed what I did about that poor girl's parents. My heart goes out to the girl, she aint deserve that, noone does. But her parents? Hell no, it's their own fault and lack of being responsible. I can't believe they actually got blessed by the pope, they should be crucified for putting their child at risk in the first place. That girl shoulda had better.
Let it whip!

Hear me sing www.myspace.com/diamonddobb

hitancrias

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 11:47:21 am »
It's good to see other people noticed what I did about that poor girl's parents. My heart goes out to the girl, she aint deserve that, noone does. But her parents? Hell no, it's their own fault and lack of being responsible. I can't believe they actually got blessed by the pope, they should be crucified for putting their child at risk in the first place. That girl shoulda had better.

I totally disagree. It's pretty harsh to blame the parents who have their child kidnapped. The ones to blame are the ones who took her.
I don't think the parents have been irresponsible. Saying so is a classical example of hindsight bias. They let their sleeping child alone inside their closed appartment for only 45 minutes. No big deal. The risk involved by doing that is negligable compared to the other risks that you have to face when you go on vacation, like food poisoning or a having a serious trafic accident.

Your remark about crucifying them is rather tasteless by the way.
Hitancrias. Herbalist. Explorer.