Author Topic: Daseths pockets  (Read 1148 times)

Feline Prince

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Now you see me...
    • View Profile
Daseths pockets
« on: June 05, 2007, 03:42:56 pm »
A Lemur hurries through the plaza towards the tavern. As he stumbles up the stairs a wind picks up. Papers slip out of the pockets of his billowing coat and flutter onto the floor:

A self portrait:

And his staff:

[please comment]
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 04:08:31 pm by Feline Prince »
Hide where they expect you to... Its what they least expect.

Quitarias

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Sugested solution:Quarantine and/or death sentence
    • View Profile
    • A MUD gladiator game.Press link and level to make me rich.
Re: Daseths pockets
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 03:46:58 am »
No offense dude but you got a loooong way at drawing faces.This one looks way out of proportion and reminds me of modern art.
The staff is pretty well drawn though.My guess would be that you rarely draw faces.Practice would be my sugestion.
Singned
  -One serious case of nuty.

RayvenD

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Feelin' the funk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 08:20:46 am »
It's an ok start. I'd spend a little more time on constructin gyou sketch before your finished version. Build it up in shapes then add detail later, it takes a lot longer, but the end result is definately worth it, keep up the good work :)
Let it whip!

Hear me sing www.myspace.com/diamonddobb

Feline Prince

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Now you see me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 11:53:42 am »
Longer on the initial sketches then? Drawing faces is completely new to me so I expected it not to be great.

rast

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 02:19:35 pm »
Have to agree with the others, you should definately work onyour faces, but the staff is pretty good :)
There are plenty of free face drawing tutorials on the internet which go through the basic proportioning and stuff, so your best bet is to just follow one through and keep practasing.

the basic proportioning:

(not a brilliant pick but best i could find in a couple of mins)

keep it up and keep trying :)
"You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you...."

Join in:
Klyro city project

Raleigh

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 10:26:15 pm »
Don't feel bad because of it, it is definitively better than mine drawings and shows some potential, now if don't like much to follow with proportioning, there is still the field of developing your skills towards less photorealistic forms of art...

Feline Prince

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Now you see me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 09:53:35 am »
I don't think drawing people is my thing  :sweatdrop:

Baldur

• Veteran
  • Disillusioning since 1989
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 10:20:48 am »
I think it's best if he continues with getting the basics down first:] Expressionism is more complicated then it seems and Picasso had a master's background in impressionism before he started with expressionism.

Just keep on working, Feline Prince. Your face- and body drawings are already looking better than the last picture, which was a valiant attempt that too.

Gentar

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 03:42:25 pm »
when learning to draw, the act of drawing itself needs to focus around translating WHAT YOU SEE onto paper. Your problem and the problem of about every inexperienced artist is that you have preconceived ideas about certain aspects of something. For instance, when you see a face you have generic ideas of what eyes, mouths, ears, etc look like and you put those down on paper rather than truly studying the form of an object. So I recommend when drawing a face, sit down and look at a real face when your doing your drawing and break down the shapes and proportions as you create your drawing.

Also....

Everybody quit telling him to focus on other forms of less photo realistic art. That is terrible advice. All forms of art are processes of abstraction, even the more realistic works. Artists that deal in less naturalistic types of art are still breaking the work down from the forms and shapes real models. Most have mastered naturalism before they've even touched the more abstract kinds.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 03:48:36 pm by Gentar »

Baldur

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 05:54:24 pm »
Oh? I've been told Impressionism is a an art style very dependant on realism.
Monet's paintings are, for example, examples of expressionism.

Not to wake a discussion, Gentar. If it needs to be discussed then let it be discussed in private messages.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 06:08:24 pm by Baldur »

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 06:14:23 pm »
I think that's the point Gentar was making, Baldur - even abstract art depends on a solid understanding of realism.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

seperot

• Veteran
  • :G
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2007, 06:40:52 pm »
2 quick hints i find help a lot with this kinda stuff,

1. Human heads are not circles... everyone thinks this because our hair makes it a kind of optical illusion, we have much more of an oval shaped head, also the eyes are in the middle of the head which is why people draw the kinda + on the oval before drawing.... Actually there not exactly in the middle >.> more just above the + , also the tips of the ears are level with the eyes and the nose usually forms below the + and the mouth not much after that...

2. A human body is usually 7 heads tall.. that is to say take your head size and times it by 7 and you have roughly how tall you are... of course no one is "average" so it can bend it to 6 to 8 heads for a human... other fantasy species obviously differ..

I say this because i don't know if you know this or not, and also i know how confusing it gets at times when starting as I'm still not exactly great myself >.> so just passing a few tips that helped me :)

Baldur

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2007, 07:29:39 pm »
I think that's the point Gentar was making, Baldur - even abstract art depends on a solid understanding of realism.
I see your point, and Gentar's, for that matter.

I acknowledge that photorealism is required but reality can be built on more than paper, to understand reality you must observe it. I'm not telling you copying nature is wrong, 'tis a great method for many. Observe that Nature and reality are two completely seperate things.
I have never been good at photorealism. Understanding why a tomato should react to light like that and understanding a head's form(Look up an anatomy book, observe your body's forms) and how and why it reacts to light like that, shaping shadows, the skin you see being the light's reaction to the skin's surface. Train this skill, this understanding, and drawing realistically will be more easier. 

Creating reality is as much emotional partaking as it is artistic, therefore the greatest advice I can give one who's just beginning his/her journey are impressionistic base compounds. No copying. Understanding reality, thereby better sensing reality, and making something beautiful.

Feline Prince

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Now you see me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 04:14:14 am »
Well moving away from people:

A nocturnal beast that likes to feast on clackers.

Some poor Krans parent decided to complete the budding high up close to the crystal, the radiation caused a mutation that meant the rest of its days were spent on all fours.

A rather un-detailed fish that I played about the contrast with in Picasa