Author Topic: Common Items  (Read 3725 times)

Keldrena

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Common Items
« on: July 03, 2007, 04:49:43 pm »
My project for the summer is to learn to 3d model. I've decided to try to model simple commonly found objects.

Here's the first item, a brush.

Sugesstions on how to improve?

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Common Items
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 05:29:40 pm »
Check the smoothing on your faces - it looks like the lower portion of the handle doesn't have the same smoothing as the upper, so there's an obvious polygonal effect.

You could also improve the texture on those bristles - something that white probably isn't going to be a common material, nor should you concentrate on making items that look brand-new :) Give them a used feeling, like they belong to someone. More yellow-brown would be a good touch.

And lastly, the icon should show as much of the item as possible while clearly showing the player exactly what it is. If you turn it so the bristles face upwards, that will be a lot more clear. Right now, I wouldn't be able to guess that the item is a hairbrush of sorts without looking at the other images.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Keldrena

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 06:11:43 pm »
Thank you for the suggestions. I know I'm not very good, so any help is really appreciated.

*edit*

How is this? My problem with it is how shiny it is and I'm not sure how to make it less so. Also, If anyone has links to blender tutorials that would be great.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 09:56:27 pm by Karyuu »

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 09:59:01 pm »
If you're posting within the same day and no one has replied yet, please "Modify" your first post to add new content instead of making a whole new post.

I think you pushed the bristles to the other extreme now :) How about something in between? A creamy yellow, a light brown, maybe even with tints of red. It's become too dark.

Also, what is that green "X" on the back there?
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

dying_inside

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 01:59:35 am »
Is it me or does the wireframe  on (I;m assuming, sorry if I;m wrong) that brush end look needlessly complex?
Or is that all sides, I dunno, there just looks to be an large number  of polygons there that could easily be removed.

Ice_Stovo

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 10:39:51 am »
Dont have the second one at leat double amount of faces than the first one?
Figis Bruzzo

rast

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 12:46:17 pm »
In order to get rid of some of the shininess, try moving down the sliders on specularity and hard in the material window(shortcut is F5). If it appears too dark after this when you render, try moving up the emit slider. See what you can do with that.

Just keep going and you will improve :)
"You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you...."

Join in:
Klyro city project

Josellis

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 04:37:35 am »
I'm learning myself to do 3d modelling, and one website I am finding really useful is Wikibooks

Keldrena

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 10:31:03 am »
@Karyuu: The green x is a random decorative symbol, It's just kind of hard to see the detail that small, so I might take it off. I've also lightenedd the bristles. I'll edit and post later.

@dying_inside: No, That's the wire frame for the whole brush. Thank you for commenting though.

@Ice_Stovo: If your going to criticize, be constructive.

@rast: Thank you, my render looks much better now.

@Josellis: Thank you for the link, it's really helpful.

Ice_Stovo

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 10:52:34 am »
@Karyuu: The green x is a random decorative symbol, It's just kind of hard to see the detail that small, so I might take it off. I've also lightenedd the bristles. I'll edit and post later.

@dying_inside: No, That's the wire frame for the whole brush. Thank you for commenting though.

@Ice_Stovo: If your going to criticize, be constructive.

@rast: Thank you, my render looks much better now.

@Josellis: Thank you for the link, it's really helpful.

Items with high polycount are nit good to be placed into any game. I liked the first one far more
Figis Bruzzo

Keldrena

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 11:27:41 am »
I realize that, however you just commenting on the poly count that is not helpful at all. Where do you think polys could be reduced?

Ice_Stovo

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 03:27:05 pm »
You propably applied subsurf on the whole mesh. try just to subdivide some too sharpy edges. I think the first vesion with the second texture of "hair" willl be great combination. This is mine problem too, i also make meshes with huge polycount.
Figis Bruzzo

Keldrena

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 04:16:21 pm »
Thank you for the advice.

RayvenD

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Feelin' the funk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2007, 04:55:41 pm »
Not sure if this will help, but if you are making low poly objects, i'd reccomend never using subserf at all. I never use it and can still get a rounded looking model at the end of it. just make something relatively round and then smooth it. it tends to work better for me. I like the brush though, good job, keep at it :)
Let it whip!

Hear me sing www.myspace.com/diamonddobb

Keldrena

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2007, 05:35:22 pm »
Thank you for the tips RayvenD. I've got some more stuff to post tonight.