Author Topic: Guards  (Read 682 times)

Feline Prince

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Now you see me...
    • View Profile
Guards
« on: July 09, 2007, 03:48:45 pm »
Well Its sounds like the sort of idea that might be kicking around the wish list already but I did search  X-/ .

I think there should be a mob called 'Guard' that GMs can spawn anywhere in the Hydlaa. These would attack anyone taking a combat stance. The GM could then take the role of lead guard which would lend to the RP immersion. This kind of requires an RP GM team style thing which I know has been discussed but not rejected as far as I can tell.
Hide where they expect you to... Its what they least expect.

Earl_Listbard

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Guards
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 03:54:26 pm »
I like this idea FP, and I've always had the mind that GMs should have /some/ place in role play, as gods, guards (and in some cases harnquist ;) )

I, not to long ago had an experiance where laanx was telling some guys to stop dueling in hydlaa... Though it would be really interesting to have guards spawn next to the offenders or run up to them, showing the law is not deaf and blind.

I know little about gm powers, but as far as I know it would not be a hard task to spawn some guards and then turn themself into a head guard. GMs have possesed NPCs before, like harnquist and used them as a mini event sort-of-thing.

All in all, I like the idea.

dying_inside

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 04:59:28 am »
I'd like that to happen...
Simply because I'd like to massacre Hydlaa's military...

Duraza

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Want to know the truth now?
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 08:17:03 am »
I'd like that to happen...
Simply because I'd like to massacre Hydlaa's military...

I agree.

Something simular to this idea has probably been brought up before because Hydlaa's guards are not well represented. Truthfully I think there should just be NPC guards that roam around Hydlaa and spawn all over randomly. You should be able to freely attack them but once you engage battle with one others around you will try and fight you. Then when someone engages in combat (like you said) they will intervene and attack both people.
Saggi Lezeheso, The Whisper's Jest
Demoik and Rioqura, The Immortal Harrow
Vertum, Will of Dakkru

Duraza Darkom, Slayer of Kittens

Earl_Listbard

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 08:25:19 am »
How ever I doubt they would /kill/ you, probaly take you somewhere. So after beating you you would spawn in.... a cell?.... (I know for a fact this was suggested) but the cell would kinda be like DR, where you have to escape a maze of sorts.

Though I liked the idea of occasionaly GM's stepping in as 'Wardens' and calling together the npcs named 'guard' and ordering to spesfficaly attack a person. Instead of handing out ooc warnings about dueling or making laanx scold them.

But going on a massacer would be foolish as they would all up and charge you ;)

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 08:29:22 am »
Actually I think that it's already possible ... and if it isn't only one or two minor alterations would make it possible.

GM's can already create NPC spawn points or put themselves into their skin. The problem is that these spawned NPC's are easily messed with and one always has to clean the spawn points up . Here some changes to the GM abilities, allowing them to spawn a single NPC of a certain type right away might be handy. GM's who are in charge of creating events could definitely use more freedom and easier commands to create more enjoyable events.

Still with the current AI and NPC toughness, no NPC guard would form much of a threat to players. They're singleminded, slow and would just kill anyone who came close enough. So for this idea to be useful a lot of work still needs to happen on NPC AI and GM abilities.

Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

Irick

• Hydlaa Resident
  • *Meow*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 02:41:46 am »
i am all for the prospect of guards, but i do think their should be NPC guards that patrol at the final stages. you know, something like check if the "scout" of a guard is within distance to hear the sound of the brawl, and have them respond to /shouts with a few words in them, like "Help!" or "Guards!" then their should be a server roll to decide if the guard is professional or a first day recruit type person as to whether they decide to call for back up or go it alone. there should always be a chance that the assailant gets away with it, as no crime prevention system is perfect. though i do think the system should never be fully automated, as that would take away from the RP feeling. maybe we could have a trial system set up. something simple, where people can volunteer for jury duty, and if their are enough of these jury marked  players. the case is actually played out. defendant and complainant present to jurors, jurors vote guilty or innocent, or even fivorius if they think the complainant should be the one getting time.

of corse if the player desides to attack the guard, it should be just like any other NPC fight, being that the player could die. but also, if another patrol man comes across, it causes all the guards to attack this person on sight until they are killed.
-Irick (frequent rper and Macie)
Though hidden in the shadows, my mind does not fear the Dark...

Head instructer of the Bujini-kyuuryuu-toutou-ryu