Author Topic: Account Activation E-Mail  (Read 854 times)

aefa1`

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Account Activation E-Mail
« on: July 19, 2007, 11:15:52 am »
I downloaded the game and went back to the main web site to complete the registration page. Filled all the boxes and clicked submit. Was told that an activation e-mail was sent and that I should click the link.

Logged in to my e-mail account, clicked the link. Was taken to the password page, entered password and confirmed it. Clicked submit and got an error page to say Your account has NOT been activated. I tried again, same result. Went back to the account page and clicked on Forgot My Password. Got another activation e-mail and clicked the link. Same problem after the password screen, Your account has NOT been activated.

I checked this forum and noticed the sticky thread about activation e mails. Therefore, I manually entered the activation link into my browser. Got to the password screen again, filled in and confirmed password, once again I get Your account has NOT been activated. No reasons given at all.

I waited for my friends to get back from College. All of us live in the same area. Therefore, as all of us had been looking forward to playing this game, all tried to register. Funnily enough, all seven of us had the same problem. After getting the confirmation e mail, clicking the link or manually entering it into our browser, entering our passwords and pressing Submit, all seven of us got Your account has NOT been activated.

Gave up and uninstalled the game. It's too much trouble, and there's insufficient assistance to help us out. I purposefully crated a Forum account to let you know that you lost seven potential players because of a technical problem that is not our fault.

However, good luck to all those that managed to get in, looks like LoTRO for us

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Account Activation E-Mail
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 11:54:43 am »
I'm sorry to hear that you gave up without looking to get technical support from actual people. PlaneShift is early in development, and there are various problems that may come up, that you may not be able to solve on your own. I get the feeling that you would have given up after running into a few bugs in the game itself - keep in mind PS is not a complete game at the moment, and our players are helping us detect and solve problems just as much as have fun playing.

If you are interested in giving it another go, I would recommend that you try registering with another email address - I wonder if all seven of you are using addresses from the same domain that may be the cause of the problems. If that isn't the case, check the verification email to see if the link is two lines long - and make sure you are copying and pasting both lines. I apologize for the technical problems at this stage, but we require a bit of patience from our community in return for us fixing them all.

[ Edited for typo. ]
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 11:59:56 am by Karyuu »
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

acraig

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 12:11:53 pm »
Probably too late now but I usually activate people's account manually if they have a problem and let me know about it.   If there is an issue with the activation system it would be nice to resolve it somehow.  So if you are still reading this please let me know some more details so I can see where the issue may be.
----------
Andrew
"For all I know, she's lying, everyone's lying; welcome to the Internet"

aefa1`

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 03:06:47 pm »
After coming back to the boards to see if my original post had been answered, I am pleased , yet surprised to see such helpfull comments from both a moderator and an administrator, having had less than satisfactory help from other games. Thanks for the replies,it is appreciated.  I would still like to install and run the game, but would like to find out why my account won't activate first. In reply to the posts from Karyuu and Acraig, please consider the following:

In reply to Karyuu. It wasn't a matter of 'giving up' or a lack of patience. It was merely that the errors were not giving reasons for the failed activation. If I was given an error, for instance, "Activation failed due to missing activation code", I could deal with it and probably find out why my browser was not sending the code. A large, full size browser window, completely blank with the words, "Your account has NOT been activated", tells me absolutely nothing. Second, and please accept this as a benevolent statement, I have played EQ2 since launch, and recently Vanguard since launch. If ever you needed patience and an ability to stick with them through their drastic opening months, I have it in abundance. I don't 'give up', I try to analyse the problem and correct it, but as I stated above, lack of error codes or information from the failed activation does not help. Finally for Karyuu, I tried with my Hotmail address in the first try, then after several failed attempts, used my orangehome.co.uk address,with the same problem, and finally used my wanadoo.co.uk address, again getting the same error and problem. It's not the domain I think, having used 3 different ones in my attempts.

For Acraig. I am pleased that you would consider activating the account manually due to problems, but how was I to contact you or your representative in that case ? It was after several attempts at linking the activation code that I thought of registering for the fourms and expressing my problems in this original post. If I hadn't thought of doing that, I wouldn't have any way of informing you that a problem existed. However, I'm glad that you have read and commented on the problem. Rather than asking you to maually activate the account so that I can start to enjoy the game environment, and hopefully become a helpful member of the community, I would like to get to the bottom of why my account activation fails using 3 different domains and e-mail addresses. I can't be certain, but if seven people are having problems, isn't it reasonable to assume that many many more may be experiencing the same problems and you are just not aware of them. Human nature is full of apathy, so it's likely many people just 'can't be bothered' and are not continuing with the registration process due to the same problem I have, which you will not hear about.

If you agree, I would like to post the full URL from my activation e=mail, substituting my e-mail address for xxxxxx@xxxxx.co.uk to maintain anonymity within the forum. Maybe in typing it mauanlly, i'm doing something wrong, or possibly the activation link is faulty. Either way, by publishing the link, you may see something I'm msising. It is quite a long link after all. Anyway, I'll be back on this forum in a few hours and hope that you can inform me of your decision.

Regards and thanks

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 03:17:35 pm »
Hey there, I'm really glad you've returned to add another post :)

You didn't mention if the verification link is two lines, however. Just so we can cross that possibility off the list, could you tell me whether there are two lines of the verification link in your email?
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

acraig

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 04:42:17 pm »
Just forward the activation email to me ( andrew@hydlaa.com ) or use the forum private message service and paste the activation URL in there.

Perhaps in the future we should have a link on the activation page that people can email if there is an issue with their accout. 
----------
Andrew
"For all I know, she's lying, everyone's lying; welcome to the Internet"

neko kyouran

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 05:11:31 pm »
Just forward the activation email to me ( andrew@hydlaa.com ) or use the forum private message service and paste the activation URL in there.

Just as a reminder, PMs have been disabled for users with less than 10 postings.  Due to the past incident with the non-worksafe spam pictures as you may recall.

aefa1`

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 08:50:29 pm »
I have taken Acraig's advice and wil send an e mail to him from my personal domain e-mail address. Hopefully the problem will be solved shortly

*edit*

Hello again fellas. I am sitting here at 4:20 in the morning, having just solved the problem with the account activation.

It appears that e mails sent to me with links in them were getting spurious characters added. I have no idea how this happens.

I created a new Hotmail account, carried out the registration procedure again , and this time was successful when I clicked the link.

This has been a learning curve for me, but now I have the problem of finding out why my e-mail address adds spurious characters.

Many many thanks for your help and advice, I'll get some sleep and then log into the game

Regards

[ Double-post merged. --Karyuu ]
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 10:35:16 pm by Karyuu »