Author Topic: Now that books can be made, how "free" will be the press?  (Read 3024 times)

Allive

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Now that books can be made, how "free" will be the press?
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2007, 09:59:38 pm »
well if your only looking at ways to stop offensive content in book a good first step would probably to be bending the filter setting to allow it to cheack the typeing in books and send a report to gms of any "bad words" that have been writen in books and currently who owns such books as for other content i guess you will really have to go with players unless you keep a log of ever book being created and its content and you all read over it. but the bad word system has problems with it words like bugger and damn ome up as being filterd out witch i really dont see as bad words not if used correctly.
I am afraid of fighting. I am afriad of being beaten and losing. But i am more afraid of surviving as a cripple than dying in fight.However. I always try to find a new strong enamy.
(Fighter in the wind)

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2007, 10:02:00 pm »
Except that the death penalty is only used for extreme crimes according to the settings.  Nothing in the settings suggests that the government is fascist.

There is a difference between permanent death and normal 'go to Death Realm, do not pass start' death.  ;)

No, there isn't.  When you die, you go to the death realm.  Some find their way back to the realm of the living, most don't.  According to the settings, anyway.  You could always godmode if you wanted to RP differently.
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2007, 10:17:42 pm »
Ahem. No, zanzi, you are quite wrong here. Certain executions do not send you to the deathrealm at all. Others prevent you from ever returning to life. As for most folks not returning from the DR, that has been changed in the Settings, if not yet on the main site. As said, go read some of the new books. Anybody can come back now.

*edit* Allive, just modify your own filter to put in or leave out what you wish. I happen to filter out all 'LOL's and ':)'s.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 10:20:18 pm by Under the moon »

Allive

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2007, 11:04:36 pm »
yeah well what i was saying is use the current bad word thing for chat for going over books as you type em but blocking words like this i think would be so anoying ect ect also if it was going to be used to go over books and report to gms it means it will not be able to modify it and you could be  getting books removed for no reason.
I am afraid of fighting. I am afriad of being beaten and losing. But i am more afraid of surviving as a cripple than dying in fight.However. I always try to find a new strong enamy.
(Fighter in the wind)

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2007, 12:15:50 pm »
Ahem. No, zanzi, you are quite wrong here. Certain executions do not send you to the deathrealm at all. Others prevent you from ever returning to life. As for most folks not returning from the DR, that has been changed in the Settings, if not yet on the main site. As said, go read some of the new books. Anybody can come back now.

*edit* Allive, just modify your own filter to put in or leave out what you wish. I happen to filter out all 'LOL's and ':)'s.

Ahem.  Are you claiming "the new books" as a source?  Ahem.
Immaturity is FTW.

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2007, 02:02:30 pm »
By the way, can GMs find and delete a book easily the way the system works now?
Nope. The developers would be able to query the database though, but that would annoying do to every time.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 02:05:38 pm by ThomPhoenix »
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2007, 02:42:26 pm »
All sexually explicit material will be confiscated by me <.< after reading to check that it really is explicit.

We must Think Of The Children.

P.S. Bloody gruesome violence is okay though. Say NO to boobies!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 02:45:02 pm by Xordan »

Kieve

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Creative Hack
    • View Profile
    • KRS MediaWorks
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2007, 06:16:46 pm »
*falls off his stool laughing*

*all Copy Center customers stare in horrified amusement*

. . .

That auto-filter isn't a bad idea though. Based on the logic "if you can do it to chat, why not to book-writing?" Even if it doesn't eliminate cheat-books or offensive material, it would eliminate LOL, n00b, [explitives], and so forth - although I'd hope that anyone inclined to write would be above such foul things.

I'm allowed to hope, right?

eldoth_terevan

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2007, 06:28:08 pm »
Lets face it, most of what is written is not going to be within the settings, and possibly downright offensive. There are going to be book burnings, mark my word... they will have to add another bunch of GMs as "firemen", its gonna be a full-time job. Filters won't do it and querying the database won't do it, unless one can account for every permutation of spelling, obfuscation, and language variance in writing. But I love the feature...

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2007, 12:30:39 am »
There will be players who will make a trade out of selling books that others write.  People will be able to go to such merchants to avoid grafiti.
Immaturity is FTW.

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
The End
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2007, 12:43:18 am »
A bad word filter?  Seriously? 

:surrender:
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 12:46:15 am by Kiern »