Author Topic: Running Backwards  (Read 546 times)

Unnamed_Source

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Running Backwards
« on: August 04, 2007, 02:43:37 pm »
It dawned on me the other day while play a few other MMO, that in  them, your character cannot run backwards. soon as you try, your character automatically turns around. I like the combat in that situation, cause you can't attack from the rear and you are more vulnerable, you're limited in dodging and all other aspects like blocks, parry, etc are null and void.

Could it be made so when you hit the backwards key, your character turns around and then keeps running or walking till the key is released. That is the big issue, you got to make the character turn and head off in the opposite direction if  the key is held down or the chraracter will stay in a constant loop of turning around.

The combination of the back key with sneaking will allow the character not turn around but proceed moving backwards.

***Please don't lock this, as I may have other thoughts on the subject.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 04:17:42 pm by Unnamed_Source »

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Running Backwards
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 02:50:43 pm »
There may be times when you actually want to move backward instead of having your character turn around (some roleplays definitely call for it). I think we should include a backward travel animation for sure.

Is it difficult to turn by using the right and left arrows and then up?
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 03:49:14 pm »
using arrows for 180o turn around is extremaly slow while fighting. I would never turn around to escape from combat playing PS.
From other things, its unprecise, as you can never trun in the direction you want
And you can't really look up and down while doing so, coz you have not enough fingers.

The answer is on M key hehe ;D But there is currently no feature, which would make it possible.

As about running backwards, you do it in real, but you can't run as fast as forward.
As about instant turning around, it is also possible and i suppose there will be proper animation once.
And what they did in that MMO was rather stupid solution, made it made it fun in some way, but creating unrealistic boundaries at the same time, which don't exist in real :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 04:03:14 pm by Nikodemus »

What you can failure tommorow, failure today.

Better click for shiny stylez Help me with images!

Unnamed_Source

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 03:54:26 pm »
There may be times when you actually want to move backward instead of having your character turn around (some roleplays definitely call for it). I think we should include a backward travel animation for sure.
Yes, sneak backwards. Running backwards though, we should be falling on our butts most of the time. Even walking backwards in an uneven field would result in the same. How many people have you seen that can run just as fast backwards as they can foward, as leg structure is made for foward movement. Second, we don't have eyes in the back of our heads, find yourself some uneaven rocky ground or some long stairs, align yourself, put on a blind fold, and start running, a Jackass senario but it proves the point. At most your should be cautious and feel your way while going backwards, hence the sneak combo to move backwards.

Is it difficult to turn by using the right and left arrows and then up?
That is not the point, the auto feature will enforce the notion. Make fights a little more intresting and characters will start behaving less like cars and more like bipeds they are or supposed to be.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 04:03:24 pm »
I see, it makes sense. We should stick to being able to walk and sneak backwards, but turning the character around when you try to run may be a good idea. I'll forward it up the ladder.

Niko: It's not going to be a split-second 180 turn, but slightly faster than using the arrow keys the way I imagine.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 04:15:42 pm »
I see, it makes sense. We should stick to being able to walk and sneak backwards, but turning the character around when you try to run may be a good idea. I'll forward it up the ladder.
I don't want to instantly turn around when i press run backwards, my posts pretty much described how one run backwards. I want this to be possible and if i want to move slightly faster in that direction i would use my mouse. If Unnamed want a key for the same purpose, why not, but not like it's the same key for running backwards as fast as you actually can. Not like in the described MMO where you can't run backwards, what i wrote about in my previous post too...

Niko: It's not going to be a split-second 180 turn, but slightly faster than using the arrow keys the way I imagine.
I don't get the message :s can't understand.

What you can failure tommorow, failure today.

Better click for shiny stylez Help me with images!

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 05:38:51 pm »
I have asked for something similar myself a few times. Only it would call for a camera center lock option on your target, and converting the left/right keys temporarily to strafing/circling while locked. (which was discussed with Venge, and thought a good idea).

Metroid Prime is a good example of locking onto a target in first person view. No matter how your target moves, the camera tries to keep track of it. Running towards your target is faster than backing away, and a quickturn button/keytap could easly be added. Perhaps a doubletap back arrow.

Devil May Cry gives a good example of walking and 'hop' running backwards while view locked on an opponent (in 3rd person view). It is greatly slower than running forward, but alows you to stay looking at your foe. Unlock, and your character quick turns and runs in the opposite direction (towards the player's screen).

Induane

• Veteran
  • What should I put here?
    • View Profile
    • Vaalnor Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 10:54:30 pm »
Yes, sneak backwards. Running backwards though, we should be falling on our butts most of the time.

This would probably be most true on rocky or very uneven terrain.  As part of cross country training we would once a week do mile runs backwards.  Even the first time (for anyone) I don't recall any stumbling, tripping, or falling down at all.  That said this was all on reasonably flat gravel roads.  I do think though that even on moderately difficult terrain you would still be able to pull it off you'd just have to limit your speed.  On horrible terrain I would love to see my player stumble then fall from time to time if I decided to run backwards :) That would be pretty funny and definitely realistic.  On flat terrain though we ought to be able to run backwards with no major issues (other than fatigue - let me tell you - 1 mile backwards feels like 5 forwards!!)