Author Topic: The RP?????  (Read 6020 times)

Coneitic

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
The RP?????
« on: August 10, 2007, 04:21:48 pm »
well i just logged on after a nice long break and am really dissapointed with the game. now these are rants so feel free to stop reading now if you love the way ps is now. you've been warned.

Wheres the Good RP gone? i usually check forums to see whats up in the world of yliakum and never see any good rp's. did everyone just stop trying? so i decided to hop on today to see what was going on. surely there was a big fight going on somewhere or a crime being made or a good vs evil battle somewhere or an indept barely understandable rp being chased (underthemoon). heres what i saw constant running back and forth from place to place. most likely completing quest. a huge group of people standing at the furnace auctioning stuff. and the only chat was people asking help for quest. i was able to get a little rp out of a few people and talk to a few friends and mostly people are just "engaged" or married. ???? is that what this game has come down to? an aol chattroom with puzzles? I heard a few good rpers are back including a few greats. i hear eid is unbanned and gwinn is back but i feel sorry for what they have to work with. i left around the time it became popular to say "i choose not to be in this rp". that was my biggest anger issue. how can u be in another world call yourself an rper but turn it into a game as soon as theres something you dont like? isnt that one of the foundations of role playing? being able to adapt to your surroundings. whens the last time an rp wasnt scripted? whens the last time someone intervened and changed the whole story? anyone can sit down and write a story. how many can create an idea and use the elements in that world to keep it going? isnt one of the main goals of planeshift to have a constantly evolving world while your in it or not? does that just mean the grass grows and the klyros migrate to the south in the winter? i see no criminals anymore in the game and from resorces am told they are barely around. it just ruins the game if you cant get robbed or assaulted just by logging in thats part of what makes an rp world. constant good vs evil battles if its a small pickpocketing and arrest to a major battle headed by the elemental light and outlaws. not sure if EL is still around. and why in the world is there an npc at kada's? since she left that has been the prime RP spot. i even learned how to rp there trying to be a bartender. whats left for people to do now stand infront of harns and just talk about what quest they finished. what happend to barfights. to defending kadas bar while she was gone. what happend to being able to order a beer from the barkeep and talking about your hard day with the server. that was the number one spot to be able to make trias and learn to whats going on in yliakum strictly by rp and that has been stripped. more NPC's more monsters more quest? how in the world does that help with rp? did you devs forget where your goign with this game i understand you want to have a great grind game along with great rp but when does it get balanced? when do you start workign towards the rp side of the game. what a gm quest every now and then (if they still do those) is supposed to make up for it? im going to have to try and come back so i can maybe stir up good  rp and teach people how to be criminals in the game. how that no matter what happens if it looks good to read and creates a short story involving whatever the people are doing at the time effecting how the story goes. no pre planned outline that either goes as planed or doesnt get rp'd.  but how do you do that when if someones on a quest or someone cant tell ooc from IC uses the now widely used phrase "i choose not to rp". please tell me im not the only one thats noticed this stuff. i read the thread of who they miss the most in the game.. well bring the spirit back, a number of people on that list i remember being great rpers that is one of the reasons they are so well missed. are you guys going to let it die out with them or take what they did as a lesson and evolve the rp further in planeshift not take it steps back.

if you read all of this congrats i just kept typing the thoughts in my head after just logging out of ps. some may be non understandable but whatever its a rant i warned u guys.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 09:28:04 pm by neko kyouran »
There is no right or wrong.... only Trias.

~Conietic

Socius Rockus

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Wibble myself: 17years I was gone, give or take
    • View Profile
Re: The RP?????
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 04:27:53 pm »
Wheres the Good RP gone? i usually check forums to see whats up in the world of yliakum and never see any good rp's.
:whistling: Maybe you're looking in the wrong place? I mean, like anyone is going to post "Hey, I'm now in a fascinating RP" Mostly it's done afterwards IF they already do it ;)
And Maybe, just like in RL, there are boring days  ;) Not everyday a life has to be saved from a magic evil or less cliche stuff like that  :)

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 04:36:06 pm »
The next person who is going to go on patting Eid on the back in this forum is going to get a time-out. He never belonged on the artificial pedestal you put him on, and his ban was not lifted. This is final, no further discussions on the subject.

Look around at all the new features and materials since you left, Coneitic. Then feel free to tell us one more time that we have abandoned roleplayers or something equally absurd.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Draklar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 05:03:04 pm »
Coneitic, two words: Double spaces.
is that what this game has come down to? an aol chattroom with puzzles?
Hah, Planeshift is going back to its roots then.

No, but seriously. The few bits of your block of text I decided to look at I agree whole-heartily. It might be a good read if not for the icky form :|
AKA Skald

Coneitic

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 05:25:38 pm »
i did look around and i talked to a few people i used to play with and got info from them.  im not hating on the grind part of the game you guys are coming along great on that part. but throwing in some emotes and a marry icon is not helping rp. im not telling you guys what to do im telling my part. remember this is beta??? remember i always argued when people say "the devs make this game and give it to us for free, dont complain" i quickly must respond we are the testers. without us this game would go nowhere we are just as vital as the devs themselves. my rants should not be taking as just angry critisism tho it is =) it should also help on the direction of the game. i myself have never liked the game for quest. many a grind games are out there. i mean look at silkroad non stop grind forever and its free. the thing that brought me to the game was the rp. and i will continue to speak the truth about it. and please dont think im just at the devs. i think alot of the players need to revamp the way they play. this isnt an aol chatroom. at least not anymore theres more to it. and unlike an aol chatroom you shouldnt be able to choose the conversations u join in on. tho i dont believe everyone should be obligated to get involved with every rp out there so i guess its kind of stuck right? if i thought the devs listened to its testers more and took ideas i would gladly throw out my opinions on ways to better the rp, seeing as how that was all i played the game for, but sorry to bring up eid again but that was a prime example of them not listening.  i think the balance is this. 80% grind 20% rp development. and the game as of now is roughly the same maybe it would be time to balance it out before proceeding in more skins, more quest, more items. one idea i think would would fantastic that would really not be that hard is

hollow out some of the buildings. like i stated before with kada's you took away a great rp spot for people. maybe 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 different buildings u can go into and run a shop. just simple buisness people can start can help rp dramatically. then comes the factor of them getting robbed. then comes the factor of a policing unit then crooked cops then mayors then who knows??? dont restrict rpers to just trading items and standing around having a converstation about a  quest they cant complete or a story they made up. encourage and push them to create a community, an economy.. a world.

*edit*
this was just as much general discussion about the game open for replies as it was a complaint. dont hide the critisim, embrace it.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 05:47:19 pm by Coneitic »

~Conietic

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 05:59:56 pm »
Let's try to make this as constructive as possible, in terms of development requests (we're not hiding any criticism - this section was created specifically for it) - can you make a list of features or additions that you feel would help RP the most? Personally, I think emotes are really important and help out a lot, but you don't seem like you agree. Therefore we may have further differences in priorities, and I'm interested in hearing what game additions would improve the current situation for you.

neko kyouran

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 06:03:28 pm »
people come in day in and day out around here.  half of them say this game has great RPers and they thoroughly enjoyed all the fun they had in XXX's event.  the other half comes in her saying that there is no rp and they rant about how good the rp was in XXX month's years ago.  I look back at that time they list and i see the same types of things happening back there as well.

as it was said, not every second has to be a cliche moment where there is a force of good saving a damsel from danger and slaying a demonic force bent on taking over the world.  why can't there be times of peaceful, "lets all help build the world's economy" or "time to explore the outlying areas to see what discoveries I can make"?

perhaps ther was some type of event thing going on somewhere, and that you were simply in the wrong place.  perhaps you simply happened to be on at a low point of the day.

before anyone can make any valid states about the state of RP in the game, I put forth the following rules:
1) data must be collected over a 6 month or longer period.
2) you must be logged on 24/7 and in all areas of the world
3) you must record every thing that goes on every where

if it was possible to do that, I'm sure you find that there is RP happening at least somewhere every second the server is up.

and now for the question I always ask when ever someone makes a thread about how here is no RP in game:

why didn't you take it upon yourself to start something?  if you want the large cliche battles of "good" vs "evil", then take it upon yourself to develop said event.

Duraza

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Want to know the truth now?
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 06:06:35 pm »
Well there are parts I agree with and parts I do not.

Firstly I must say that it's not the devs who are responsible for this game being rp oriented. That is in the hands of the players for the fact that if the devs start saying "If you don't rp we will ban you" many people would stop playing. They are doing their job because it is to make this game reach completion in the future. When you see new quest, NPC, or items then you know it was thanks to a dev working hard to do it and for that we should thank them.

I do however agree with the fact that many players are not seeing this game the way I used to see it. No matter how much I rather not admit it the rp is disappearing. It still happens but not as much as it used to before I went on vacation. Maybe its just that I'm not involved with the right people but I have rarely seen it. Before people would walk into the tavern and just have a conversation. People would always be talking in the plaza. All kinds of plots would be going on with badies. Events would be held all the time. I don't see as much as that anymore. Many new players are more focused on just gaining levels then having a chat or rping in some kind of plot. Is that wrong? No because its good people do care about the game mechanics. However should rp just start being ignored? No I don't think so. I have heard that this during this time of year things get a little slower and not as many rps come around. Taking that into account I realize that without as many people always playing it only makes sense that rp will be less. However if this is just the time where things are slow then I would hope that later on I begin to see those rps again.

One thing I do agree with that does bug me is people and how they "pick" which rps they want to get involved. I understand that this is a game and therefore it should be fun for everyone however when I see someone clearly becoming involved with an rp and then suddenly because they don't like whats going to happen to their character they dismiss it OOCLy it annoys me. When someone does not like the way another rps something and dismisses it OOCLy it also annoys me. I don't try to suggest that people shouldn't have the option to be in certain rps but they should come up with IC reasons for ignoring it.

In the end there really isn't anything that can be done about it though. I know certain people who I do rp with and while its a shame that I only rp with so many players I can't force someone to engage with me in rp. All that happens is that you get ignored or get into a fight. Do I wish there was more rping? Yes. The only way I can really think about to fix that is to think of more intresting rps for people to get involved in and to help more newbies to learn about rp before they start to treat this game as a leveling game where you spend hours to get really strong just to have rare items and be able to kill everyone  :P
Saggi Lezeheso, The Whisper's Jest
Demoik and Rioqura, The Immortal Harrow
Vertum, Will of Dakkru

Duraza Darkom, Slayer of Kittens

Draklar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 06:25:21 pm »
Firstly I must say that it's not the devs who are responsible for this game being rp oriented. That is in the hands of the players for the fact that if the devs start saying "If you don't rp we will ban you" many people would stop playing. They are doing their job because it is to make this game reach completion in the future. When you see new quest, NPC, or items then you know it was thanks to a dev working hard to do it and for that we should thank them.
I would say the opposite. Devs have the full responsibility over rp orientation of a game. Depending on what direction the game is developed into, it'll attract specific player-base. That's why people aren't roleplaying in Quake. If the game lacks roleplaying features, then players can only pretend it's a roleplaying game. In the end they can roleplay on irc, but that doesn't make irc a roleplaying oriented game.

Anyway, I share the opinion emotes won't add much roleplaying anywhere. Roleplaying features are usually hardcoded into the system, and in fact, often require the entire game being built upon them. This having been said, lower your expectations. Planeshift is a "MMORPG". Even if I believe it's absolutely possible to create a full out online roleplaying game, it's not going to be done with that formula. The fact Planeshift has this tiny amount of roleplaying going around is already a big success for this genre, which yes - is notorious for being nothing beyond internet chat and hack&slash form of games.
AKA Skald

Coneitic

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 06:31:53 pm »
i didnt say it needed a large cliche of good vs evil rp. infact i was against cliche stunts to an extent, but usually it was people finding their own rp style in the middle of it. you dont have to be on 24/7 in every area to  see how the worlds evolved in the game. im not talking about not seeing a epic battle or a great huge rp. im talking more along the lines of individual people. somethings you are right have not changed. such as people standing at the furnace all day and auctioning all day or people on a constant grind aiming to "beat" the game. those people have everythign they need already, all additions to that kind of gameplay are just a bonus. you can see it in the community individual people and how they act in the game. its not that theirs no rp. theres plenty of rp just chatroom rp. take me you may think i was somewhat cliche but my charactor was a common thief, a thug, who almost always got beat up. but that was my charactor i wanted him weak i wanted him to be normal. just a normal not so much great evil as not caring whats right or wrong as long as he gets trias. and he would constantly fall into rps trying to make some money try to cause problems and stall peoples rp as would say trying to get to work ontime and having to take a detour becaue of a bad accedent. i belive it helped me learn how to adapt to what was going on int he world and become involved in my own take but still heeding to all the elements while keeping the rp starter on his toes and learn how to do what i was trying to learn myself. of course this changed when it became popular to decide who u interact with. so everyday i would hop on and try something, find a new person to take advantage of, find an old enemey to aggrevate. make a new enemy by trying to steal or take hostages. or basically just trying to make money the non conventional way. hell when i started the game i took a roll as a barkeep to make money. i was determined to create a life of my charactor without quest. now i realize that was me and im not in anyway implying this is how everybody should play. i stated before the grind type of player is fine to and the game is geared towards them right now. and neko u bring up XXX's event.  was fun stuff like that. i cannot stress enough im not talking about events. im talking common rp to create a charactor and implement him as much as possible in anyway he can, and again this for the rp player mainly. i belive more systems to push people into rp would help the whole game such as the buisness scheme i suggested. another would be a guard system. i understand the devs want their own governement and guards but right now they have no way to do that and its a hard thing to work out, so since its beta why not try out a player based militia. alot of you know trust worthy players that have been there for so long. ask them to start something up as orders from a "octarch" or whatever the name was and expieriment with it. with a set of rules strictly inforced by real people it would create more drama more chances for rp. this would especially be good as a sight into what happens when more of the game is in the hands of people. even if its gms who team up with trustworthy friends to control the world it would still be better for rp. and help the devs figure out the government scheme and what ways they can impliment it in the game, because last i played it was a tricky thing that the devs were still working on. maybe once a month some major event happens that changes the whole city or world in rp terms such as an attack on the temple or a fall of the fountain or a building being burned down. then the government needs helpers to rebuild so it gives them a player based quest. things like that would help rp i have more i can write down i have great ideas that i would like to share and knowing that my ideas would be thought about i would gladly play the game much much more but i think the concept of beta has been lost in translation and this game is stuck in a middle between beta and final. final rules but with beta environment. the game graphics wise is great, superb but i really feel the rp is lacking majorly half because of the players and half because of the devs. do you guys have a Dev on RP? if you do i would like to speak with him or her and just talk if at all possible. i constantly tried to improve rp int he world and constantly tried for help from other great rpers and im not by no means saying im great but i have a good idea and with the help of some of the other rpers we all know and love playign with i think it could change. and i'll stand by what i said at the begining of the post and if u really dont see at least half of the things i stated then maybe you shouldnt be one to speak on the rp behalf...

[/quote]I would say the opposite. Devs have the full responsibility over rp orientation of a game. Depending on what direction the game is developed into, it'll attract specific player-base. That's why people aren't roleplaying in Quake. If the game lacks roleplaying features, then players can only pretend it's a roleplaying game. In the end they can roleplay on irc, but that doesn't make irc a roleplaying oriented game.
[/quote]

sorry duraza long itme no talk but i have to disagree and go with draklar on this one man. i think the devs are responsible and have a responsiblity to push the game in the direction they want and before it was 50% grind 50% rp that was their main goal if i remember right. and there are plenty of steps they can do to accomplish that. i mean put a big square area and just a a quest corner and a monster corner and that doesnt invite rp. put a quest corner a monster corner a rp corner and squish that triangle together and boom you got planeshift =)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 06:38:45 pm by Coneitic »

~Conietic

Duraza

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 06:46:09 pm »
I would say the opposite. Devs have the full responsibility over rp orientation of a game. Depending on what direction the game is developed into, it'll attract specific player-base. That's why people aren't roleplaying in Quake. If the game lacks roleplaying features, then players can only pretend it's a roleplaying game. In the end they can roleplay on irc, but that doesn't make irc a roleplaying oriented game.

I agree that yes its true that the devs need to implement things that do make rp more easily done for the players. That is their job, to make the game rp possible and to make the mechanics work with rp, etc. However my point was that there isn't a real way they can "enfore" rp. I've always heard that if people don't want to be involved with certain rps or don't like the way on rps that they should just ignore them and that no one should force another to rp. When you put it that way then regardless of what the devs do to make rp more intresting and try to make it more likely for people to rp they can never force a player to rp. In the end its the players decicion whether they want to rp or not and if a high enough number of players don't then this will only be a leveling game regardless of what devs do.

Also let me just say when it comes to rp's about "conflict" everyone is always saying "why bring up good vs evil is so cliche" and things like that. However when you step in the shoes of a player trying to create a different kind of conflict you start to realize that there isn't much other choice currently. Anything else, whether religious, between realms, between cities, or even between the monsters in the labyrinth are very hard to rp out effectivly and usually boring without the right game mechanics or because your not a gm doing an event ignored. For example lets take a religious battle, Laanx vs Talad. Sure in the history they had their problems which each other which should make conflict between those who are under them. However you run into the problem of PC's not taking religion so seriously. They just make it an excuse to say "By Talads name!" or "Praise Laanx." There are some who do but then suddenly it will be a conflict of "Did talad really say that?' "Thats not what I thought Laanx was trying to teach." Then it goes to "thats not in the settings" or "there isn't any proff that was what Laanx was trying to teach in the settings." Lastly "your not a gm so you can't tell me I'm wrong, I'm going to ignore you." The fact is without the proper resources there really isn't alot of conflictual rp we can do without relying on good vs evil. Right now I'm trying to do something different but its moving very slow because game mechanics support none of it and that makes a lack of intrest. I'm not mad but if you expect us to do soemthing different from what everyone feels is "cliche" then we could use a little help doing it  ;)
Vertum, Will of Dakkru

Draklar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 06:52:55 pm »
The goal, I believe, is to make the game as much roleplaying oriented as possible. Nothing changed in that area. Implementing is a much harder task. The ideas you propose appear extremely time consuming on the development side of things and I'm not sure if the little it may achieve would make it worth it. The art right now is to create larger encouragement for role-playing under minimal cost in form of time for development.

Duraza: If a game pushes player into the world at the very start, leaves out features for other forms of players and keeps roleplayers interested with roleplaying features then you really don't need any enforcement. When I go through entire game, happily having my character grow in experience and suddenly realise I didn't spend even one hour on looking for monsters to hack, then I find that to be a really well designed game. And this did happen.
AKA Skald

Duraza

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 06:58:02 pm »
Duraza: If a game pushes player into the world at the very start, leaves out features for other forms of players and keeps roleplayers interested with roleplaying features then you really don't need any enforcement. When I go through entire game, happily having my character grow in experience and suddenly realise I didn't spend even one hour on looking for monsters to hack, then I find that to be a really well designed game. And this did happen.

sorry duraza long itme no talk but i have to disagree and go with draklar on this one man. i think the devs are responsible and have a responsiblity to push the game in the direction they want and before it was 50% grind 50% rp that was their main goal if i remember right. and there are plenty of steps they can do to accomplish that. i mean put a big square area and just a a quest corner and a monster corner and that doesnt invite rp. put a quest corner a monster corner a rp corner and squish that triangle together and boom you got planeshift =)

Yeah yeah alright I agree. Its true. If the devs don't make the game more rp oriented then rpers won't play. If they push more towards rp then more players who like rp will play and less who aren't intrested in rp will play. It makes sense I guess, I just rather not admit being wrong  :P
Vertum, Will of Dakkru

Coneitic

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 07:04:41 pm »
dont make me poke your eye duraza! lol

and draklar i know its going to take time and i know some of that isnt easy but i mean there has to be a time frame for it right? i mean the whole policing issue wouldnt be that hard and im sure you can copy and paste say the insides of ojeveda into the insides of hydlaa which i love how that city was made perfect for rping to bad noone goes there without a quest or a craft, other than the occasional few. one of the points im making is i understand it will take a while but whens the time when you say ok we got enough quest and grind options now lets work on the rp?? i would still like to talk to an rp dev if there is one, and if hes or she has time just to talk a bit about somethings and im just asking not demanding so dont get it twisted. i would just like the opportunity to speak. and if not is there maybe an rp counsil becaue i would surely like to apply.

~Conietic

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2007, 07:46:30 pm »
The whole development team is working on creating a roleplay atmosphere - there is no one "RP" dev or "RP team." You might want to talk to Xillix if you are interested in settings, but that's as specific as I can get. You mentioned open houses so far, and that's good. But I would really like you to take my previous suggestion and compile a list of features you think are most important for RP. (A list is much easier to browse through than a long paragraph.) You have my attention, so take this opportunity seriously.