Author Topic: Your money or your life!  (Read 853 times)

Garon

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Your money or your life!
« on: August 12, 2007, 10:22:54 am »
Since  the intel mac build isn't working for me (haven't tried fullbright, are too lazy), I'd like to figure out how many people would actually submit to being stopped and asked to hand over all their trias:  How, exactly, would you respond?  Knowing that they couldn't just kill you, due to dueling, and even if they did kill you, a simple walk through the DR would fix it all up.
If a player asked for you to let them pickpocket you, would you?  Would you always rp noticing?  Would if you rp'd  noticing be based on the weapon's value?

If a player wanted to assassinate you?  Publicly humiliate you?  Take everything from but life?  Enslave (debts or the like?)?  etc.

Basically, if you were forewarned, or could stop it OOCly, would  you avoid something that would set your character back several days?  Weeks?  Months?

I want to know if RPing a bandit/thief type that ambushes people who mine in the wilderness is really viable... the main problems being, people who max all their combat skills then mine--a bandit wouldn't have maxed combat, so if they dueled he'd lose, horribly.  Having this many people who could be considered weapons masters walking around is dangerous.  The other big problem is people who would just say "No, thank you, I want to keep my gold, and my trias, and my life", just run past the "halt!" of the bandit.

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
Re: Your money or your life!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 10:54:46 am »
It depends on which character of mine you'd be robbing. Some are no fighters at all and will try to run away, others would sooner die than to give you anything .. and even otehrs will gladly beat the daylight out of you and steal your own belongings. Picking their pockets could go unnoticed or not. Most likely I'd let the dice decide that .. of course the bigger the item is, the less chance it'll happen undetected.

As for RPing a thief, criminal .. the fun lies in not having it revolve around actual losses. If you'd RP an excellent thief who always gets what s/he wants, chances are you'll be having several bad experiences. However if you RP a thief who usually fails, well players will like being robbed and chasing the thief off. Playing a bandit can be loads of fun in my opinion ... if you are willing to put up with losses.

I'm sure that there will be very few people who give up their hard earned properties 'willingly' and no matter how you twist it, they have to give it up willingly because you can't possibly take it by force with the current game mechanics. This doesn't mean that one cannot RP a criminal though. Crime doesn't pay .. unless you can convince the world that you're an honest man. :P
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

Feline Prince

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Now you see me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 10:59:04 am »
You can do what you like to my characters as long as its realistic and you are equally happy to face the consequences. It also has to be within reason. No wandering up behind and lobbing their head off without any notice.

I can tell you from experience that most people don't like it. At all. Playing a less savoury character is VERY hard when it comes down to the action. I'd like to think I did a reasonable job with my old character Narure. Trick is to ask OOC before you do it and always start with getting friendly with the victim. That way you know if they RP well, which doesn't only mean they get the difference between OOC and IC, its a way of determining if they have a god complex because:

Knowing that they couldn't just kill you, due to dueling, and even if they did kill you, a simple walk through the DR would fix it all up.

*edit*

I also second Zans comment about failing. Just because the robbing went wrong doesn't mean you've 'lost' the RP. If your still alive the jokes on them. And If you really must get yourself killed... Do it in style.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 11:02:44 am by Feline Prince »
Hide where they expect you to... Its what they least expect.

Otcho

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 01:34:40 pm »
Hehe, welll me and my friend used to rob people on the BD road where not many people were found. We once robbed a dwarf for 10,000 trias, which we actually got and let him go, and on the way to the mine, we tried to rob a kran but he got away by shoving us and running away. Good times..good times... then we got punished by the citizens of hydlaa..and stopped robbing people. ;)

Kaerli

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 06:53:23 am »
Kaerli is a) big enough and strong enough that she would take some serious effort to physically overpower (2 or more people) and b) she isn't dumb, so she does keep an eye on her surroundings...

Kaityra

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 07:49:04 am »
Hello!

Well, from my experience in another MMORPG I can tell you that you are walking on very thin ice should you start it. Thieves, robbers, bandits or in other words rogues belong to a fantasy setting as do warriors and mages. The problem is that it gets easy out of control. In the MMORPG that I have played before there was a time where everyone wanted to be a bandit up to the point where there were more bandits than other chars. If it is well and moderately done such things can be fun and is usually well excepted by the community. But if you overdo it be sure to feel the wrath both in game and OOC.
As for my char I can tell you that she had a look on the road from Hydlaa to the magic shop which winds through a dark forest and thought, well this more than suitable for an ambush. Well, I won't tell her "profession" though. :P

With kind regards
Kaityra
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 07:56:24 am by Kaityra »

dying_inside

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 11:59:34 am »
Boaal is a Kran. You dont thraten to beat up an eight foot tall kran clad in armour with two axes ever presentand within easy reach.
If you would like to punch a lump of solid stone Boaal can direct you to lumps of stone which wont try and kill you for it.

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 08:23:35 pm »
The way to allow criminals, but to also keep them in check, is as simple as a system of law with legal and illegal commands, then IC punishments to back that up without punishing the player. Well, the idea is simple, the coding would be work. (but not difficlut work). Eventually, I will get around to tying it all together and posting how it would work.

As for alowing yourself to get robbed... http://hydlaa.com/smf/index.php?topic=28009.0 and http://hydlaa.com/smf/index.php?topic=28220.msg324468#msg324468

I never did run into a good criminal, however, so never got to fully test those rules out. Sad, really. If you do see a Sheeple (actual  ingame guild), they are still open for 'business', but due to the new changes to the DR settings, they no longer die forever.

Garon

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 08:44:52 pm »
It depends on which character of mine you'd be robbing. Some are no fighters at all and will try to run away, others would sooner die than to give you anything .. and even otehrs will gladly beat the daylight out of you and steal your own belongings. Picking their pockets could go unnoticed or not. Most likely I'd let the dice decide that .. of course the bigger the item is, the less chance it'll happen undetected.

As for RPing a thief, criminal .. the fun lies in not having it revolve around actual losses. If you'd RP an excellent thief who always gets what s/he wants, chances are you'll be having several bad experiences. However if you RP a thief who usually fails, well players will like being robbed and chasing the thief off. Playing a bandit can be loads of fun in my opinion ... if you are willing to put up with losses.

I'm sure that there will be very few people who give up their hard earned properties 'willingly' and no matter how you twist it, they have to give it up willingly because you can't possibly take it by force with the current game mechanics. This doesn't mean that one cannot RP a criminal though. Crime doesn't pay .. unless you can convince the world that you're an honest man. :P

There's always losses when you play a thief, since nobody is perfect; I was more asking about the viability of people giving stuff up when the dice rolled against them, or when it made sense ICly that they would:  it'd be in the hands of the players who're losing to give up the item, so they might just ignore it and continue, or name the player as a thief, even if they didn't really notice it, or the like.

(Another interesting thing is the number of strong people with large swords who mine gold; that alone would make robbing someone more dangerous then it would be if you actually were ambushing what're essentially freelance miners, you'd have to get a significant number of them mad to have a group of people with pitch forks coming after you.  However, when some of them could easily cut many characters in half with a single blow of their choice weapon...)

In the MMORPG that I have played before there was a time where everyone wanted to be a bandit up to the point where there were more bandits than other chars. If it is well and moderately done such things can be fun and is usually well excepted by the community. But if you overdo it be sure to feel the wrath both in game and OOC.

The thing about that is that the bandits would naturally begin fighting amongst one another if this happened, which would lead to a decline in bandit population and the restoration of relatively safe roads.  :P  Until there was another influx of bandits, but then this would repeat itself.  Of course, with respawns, this becomes less exact.

Coneitic

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 07:24:38 am »
You can do what you like to my characters as long as its realistic and you are equally happy to face the consequences. It also has to be within reason. No wandering up behind and lobbing their head off without any notice.

rp is suppose to be believeable not realistic. common misconception.

and narure whattup man you remember me? i played stoyka =)
There is no right or wrong.... only Trias.

~Conietic

Seytra

• Forum Addict
  • No system can compensate lack of common sense.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 02:23:36 pm »
For me, it solely depends on my impression of the player behind the character. If I know that the player is a really good RPer, including all the prerequisites which have been mentioned already by others (especially being reasonable and able to take their own medicine), a player that has consistently and convincingly RPd for quite a while, IOW, i trust that player and their abilities, then, if the RP stays high quality, I'll agree to the consequences. Otherwise, definitely not, though depending on execution I might still go along and "surrender" a little money. There are by far too many idiots, griefers and outrageously bad RPers out there who'd instantly jump at the chance any other stance would create.