Author Topic: Mining rates are low  (Read 2379 times)

Jurrel

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Mining rates are low
« on: August 14, 2007, 08:44:14 am »
   Mining rates are at a all time low. I am told by Gms to make a report. I was told this was probably not on purpose. I have level 20 in mining and I strike about one out of seven times. I would really appreciate an answer as to what is goig on. It is too easy to say that the game is in developement and that where testers. I do know this and try my best to help the team any way I can.o A real answer would be refreshing. Thank you.

bilbous

Re: Mining rates are low
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 09:34:46 am »
Too many miners deplete the resources faster than expected?

Are you talking generally across all mines or the ulber gold field or other specific lodes? Is it possible you have been mining on the edge of the deposits? Just a couple questions that might help you get an answer. I can't say I have done much mining lately myself.

Draklar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 09:43:09 am »
The reduction of gold mining ratio was done on purpose. It brought forth too much income and therefore has been reduced.
Not a bug, not a mistake. Feature.
AKA Skald

Hanix

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 09:48:36 am »
Well maybe i can help here. The following is a quote aproved by settings. I hope this answers your questions.

"we are trying to balance the implemented features constantly, including the mining of ressources. review has shown that it was not rare enough in regards of consistency with the settings, thus it was decided to reduce the availability of the gold by mining."

There you go.

Magnoil Harrodin

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 11:09:07 am »
7 times to hit gold at level 20? Seems a bit drastic if you aks me. I mean I am level 3 right now, meaning that the chances of hitting pay dirt will be more than slim. I do agree though that gold mines were a very lucrative source of income, probably too lucrative.

Have you thought about simply reducing the price for gold ore, or introducing differently sized chunks? I would experience it to be a lot less depressing finding small chunks every once in a while rather than a single big chunk after 25 attempts, even if the net amount is the same.

Jeraphon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 11:55:27 am »
Have you thought about simply reducing the price for gold ore,

Yes. Yes we have. :)

Have you thought of mining other metals?  :detective:

Magnoil Harrodin

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 12:48:51 pm »
My bad, of course you have  :P

How about differently sized chunks? It will make things more complicated, but also more interesting and less frustrating ;)

As for other metals: of course I have. But these require processing in order to fill my purse. I can do some processing now, but only because mining gold provided me with enough cash to finance my training ;)

Jurrel

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 04:25:58 pm »
   Wow! Thank you Hanix for responding as well as everyone else. Now I have the unpleasant task of telling my guild the bad news. As long as the price of training, weapons, and armor do not change it will be difficult at best to play the game. I will try my best to keep our new members from being discouraged. I am hoping a new preciouse metal was added to the game. The search begins. The changes have always worked out in the past however hard the initial shock is. I will trust your judgment and appreciate the answer. It does make a difference to the players who care about the game to know whats going on and why. Thank you for being upfront.

saladasalad

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Vivada - Band / Blog / Good People
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 10:04:45 pm »
I think we all need to remember that balancing an economy like this would be difficult at best. The way it was, no-one was mining anything other than gold. Yet, people are still crafting. Who supplies the iron and coal? What about people making silver weapons? Who supplies the ore?

I think that crafting could use a little tweaking. Why is no-one buying iron and coal? Do the crafters need to be mining or smelting gold to pay for their training? I think it is too necessary to have mining skills at the moment, it shouldn't be the profession that everyone has to learn IMHO.

[EDIT]
Currently, Harnquist pays:

Iron Ore            0.33 tria/kg
Coal Lump      1.00 tria/kg
Silver Ore        10.67 tria/kg
Gold Ore          40 tria/kg

I think it should be more like:

Iron Ore            10 tria/kg
Coal Lump       15 tria/kg (should be easier to mine though)
Silver Ore         20 tria/kg
Gold Ore           40 tria/kg
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 10:27:18 pm by saladasalad »
Artisian Hooke  -  Guild Elder in The Organisation.
Alumolo Genare.
Divire Dighur.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Vivada - Band / Blog / Good People

qbari

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 10:53:38 pm »
This will cause a broader distance between newer players and advanced ones.

Older users had already the advantage of NPC's not fighting back (pumping up some of their levels while training) and now with this reduction in mining will be impossible to have a decent progress.

It's a bit sad.  :'(

Mellifluous

• Wayfarer
  • im in ur R'lyeh, Fhtagn
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 12:40:12 am »
I've said before that I was in favor of a more realistic mining system, and I, for one, and very happy to see this step taken.  As a newer player, I don't resent the loss of easy money at all! ^_^
If an economic unbalance does occur, I do prefer saladasalad's idea of raising iron prices.  Things like this are delicate, though, and I think it is important that we, the players, understand that economics require a good bit of tweaking to be both fair and feasible.
I feel today that my actions will be charged with symbolism!

Lupul

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 04:55:14 am »
I've said before that I was in favor of a more realistic mining system, and I, for one, and very happy to see this step taken.  As a newer player, I don't resent the loss of easy money at all! ^_^
If an economic unbalance does occur, I do prefer saladasalad's idea of raising iron prices.  Things like this are delicate, though, and I think it is important that we, the players, understand that economics require a good bit of tweaking to be both fair and feasible.

Nice , very nice !I just trained today a level at Crystal Way . Are you curious how much i payed for that ? 36036 trias and 858 PPs . I am an advanced player so i can carry 47 gold ore . That means 28576 trias because i can process my gold . What do you say about a new player?
Are you sure about this "more realistic mining system" ?
Btw all game became unbalanced , dont you think ?

Seytra

• Forum Addict
  • No system can compensate lack of common sense.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 11:59:21 am »
Nice , very nice !I just trained today a level at Crystal Way . Are you curious how much i payed for that ? 36036 trias and 858 PPs . I am an advanced player so i can carry 47 gold ore . That means 28576 trias because i can process my gold . What do you say about a new player?
About a new player I say that their training won't cost nearly that much, because cost increases with levels.

Regarding NPCs not fighting back: this problem keeps appearing every once in a while, and it is instantly exploited by almost everyone online at that time (can you say "cheaters"?). That's what you get when you make PPs and "lvl" the reason for playing, but don't be sad, you'll likely witness other bugs to abuse / exploit in time. Fair play does find it's limits whereever people can get away without it.

Kerol

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Assets > Asshats
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 12:24:55 pm »
Btw all game became unbalanced , dont you think ?
I tend to agree there. But isn't that more of a reason to start somewhere with searching for balance? :)

retired GM leader

Lupul

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 12:41:39 pm »

"About a new player I say that their training won't cost nearly that much, because cost increases with levels."

Try to make a new char and try to do Metallurgy at level 20 with this new rules . And do that with this "wonderfull new system" implemented at iron and coal mines(dont forget gold mines) , furnace , stock casting and , not in the last , in inventory . Dare you ?...

Let's see what remains for us in this game :
- if i want to fight i must do that in arena (laggy , laggy , laggy)
- i cant keep my swords in hands because i can hurt somebody (btw i can interact with another caracter only in war or duel)
- Laanx tell me to learn some crafting . Show me please one crafter which made a spoon or another object except , swords , axe , daggers etc . But the war and the fight became prohibited .
Oh yes , role-play , all the time . Right , is necesary . But the whole game become a theatre , talk , talk , talk . No action no possibility to train ( without money you can't train) , no adventure , nothing but talk .

I loved this game for realism . It wasn't a game , it was another planet , another world but a real world . From now the realism is gone . What remains ? Just a game , boring and hard to play...

Sorry about my words but im realy sad . A wonderfull world have been destroyed ....Why?