Author Topic: The Great inconsistency hunt is on!  (Read 30531 times)

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • ꞆĂ­ꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
Re: The Great inconsistency hunt is on!
« Reply #240 on: November 05, 2008, 07:08:05 am »
Sorry, totally forgot about this.

By that logic we should do away with steel, silver and gold. They make us think of real world metals rather than fansasy ones.

:offtopic: Steel, silver and gold are English, not kitchen Latin words, and are not modern metals. I'm not talking about real world nonsense, but about medieval flavor. Platinum (everywhere abbreviated into the ugly "plat"; that's a sign) is as immersive a name as uranium would be.

Anyway, I won't argue in this thread anymore. It's a place for posting apparent oddities, of which the dev team is the judge.

From Platinum today
Although the modern history of platinum only begins in the 18th century, platinum has been found in objects dating from 700 BC, in particular the famous Casket of Thebes (see image). This little box is decorated with hieroglyphics in gold, silver and an alloy of the platinum group metals.

Our choices are to create a new name for an object with the same properties as rl platinum or do as we did with other metals. Word origin means not a jot. Otherwise we'd have to not use English. People have a hard enough time trying not to use rl-referencing idioms and colloquialisms, never mind avoiding such words.
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 05, 2008, 08:41:46 am »
As soon as Lumium will become useful, it will become valuable. The more profit it allows, the higher its price will go. Then talk again about the sense and value of silver, gold and platinum... ;)

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Rizin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 05, 2008, 03:51:24 pm »
At the end of a quest, we can read in purple:
-Loren gives you three hexa.-
If I'm not mistaken (it is not logged), the green system msg says "You have received 300 tria".
So maybe the purple text should refer to six octa ?

If you will PM/E-mail/IRC me the name of the quest, I will fix it.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
A new description for Atheism
« Reply #243 on: November 13, 2008, 06:15:42 pm »
The Old version:

Despite the obvious presence of Gods and Goddesses throughout Yliakum, some deny that these beings are worthy of worship. Most people consider atheists foolish at best and a condemned object of pity at worst. Athests will bear the worst effects of the penalty for dying since no god will grant them succor from it. The atheist does not look outside itself for truth. People attracted to this faith:  People who have had a bad experience with religion, anti-social people, staunch individualists, and the irrational.

The New version:

Despite the obvious advantages of worshiping a god or goddess, some deny that these beings are worthy of worship. Many people consider atheists foolish at best and condemned objects of pity at worst. Atheists will bear the worst effects of the penalty for dying since no god will grant them succor from it. Atheists do not look towards higher beings to answer questions of meaning, self worth, and purpose. People attracted to Atheism:  Those who feel the gods have wronged them, stubborn people, and the young.

Line One:  Despite the obvious advantages of worshiping a god or goddess, some deny that these beings are worthy of worship.

Why the change:  The new wording clearly distinguishes between the two senses of Atheism.  Players will now understand that one sense of Atheism simply does not exist in Yliakum, and the other sense does exist but comes with consequences.  The words “god” and “goddess” should only begin with a capital when in reference to a specific god.  When the word is being used to denote a specific class or category, it must be written in lowercase.  Also, it is not enough that the gods simply exist for it to be common sense to worship them.  The benefits of worship must be cited as the reason it is common sense.

Line Two:  Many people consider atheists foolish at best and condemned objects of pity at worst.

Why the change:  After Eliseth’s explanation, I understand the integrity of this sentence.  Atheists might not be foolish and are yet still considered foolish.  “Condemned” means condemned to a life without support of the gods.  One change I made was to correct the grammar.  There was a change from plural to singular mid-sentence.  Also, I changed "most" to "many" to better reflect the game culture.

Line Three:  Atheists will bear the worst effects of the penalty for dying since no god will grant them succor from it.

Why no changes:  None needed!

Line Four:  Atheists do not look towards higher beings to answer questions of meaning, self worth, and purpose.

Why the change:  The line in its original form was highly problematic and ambiguous, but I very much enjoy Eliseth’s interpretation.  The original implied that Atheists don’t look for truth in other persons, in literature, philosophy, the natural world, and so on.  There are many sources of “truth” that are outside and beyond ourselves and yet are not the gods.  Also, an Atheist might look to the gods for truth, and yet not worship the gods.  Also, the new version is still open ended.  Atheists might look towards higher beings for answers to questions, but the implication is that they’re skeptical of the answers the gods give them.

Line Five:  People attracted to Atheism:  Those who feel the gods have wronged them, stubborn people, and the young.

Why the changes:  “This faith” was replaced with “Atheism” because if we are to call Atheism a “faith”, then every single opinion must also be called a “faith”.  I think this is too liberal an interpretation of what it means for something to be a faith.

“People who have had a bad experience with religion” replaced by “Those who feel the gods have wronged them”:  One can have a bad experience with religion and yet not become an Atheist.  If I have bad experience with the church of Talad, I might simply become a follower of Laanx!  And one can be an Atheist and yet have many good experiences with religion.  We should be as direct as possible:  One does not worship the gods if one sees the gods as unworthy of worship.  One may see the gods as unworthy of worship if one feels the gods have wronged them.

“Anti-social people” replaced by “Stubborn people”:  Anti-social people will worship Drakku.  Rejecting help is the mark of a stubborn person.  Atheists are rejecting the help of the gods.

“Staunch individualists” removed:  One can easily be an Atheist collectivist, or a Deist individualist.  There’s no association between individualism and Atheism that I can see.  Since it doesn’t serve roleplay, the settings, or realism, I removed the line.  I thought about adding “prideful people”, but there are many very proud deists!

“The irrational” replaced by “the young”:  Again, we’re back at mixing the different senses of Atheist.  It’s irrational to believe the gods don’t exist, but to claim that they aren’t worthy of worship is something else.  Not worshiping the gods isn’t irrational so much as it’s the result of inexperience.  And who tends to be inexperienced?  The young!  I think this is a much better fit.  There are other reasons why this is a good change, but explaining those reasons requires a conversation on axiomatic systems, the true meaning of rationality, and so on.

I think these changes solve a lot of problems people were having.  I hope you like them too.

Edit:  I just notice that a forum mod moved my thread to here.... I guess the forum mod thinks that the current description of Atheism is an inconsistency!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 05:49:57 am by zanzibar »
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

khoridor

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 18, 2008, 03:05:48 pm »
If I'm correct, I read somewhere (in an economy book) that megaras are very rare beasts, which is why air transport is not much developed.
Then, somewhere else, we learn that murderers are executed by being sent into the crystal on a megara, which lets us suppose that the beast itself is killed in the process.
If so, I think the government should devise another way for executions, instead of wasting such assets.

Jeraphon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 18, 2008, 05:23:23 pm »
If I'm correct, I read somewhere (in an economy book) that megaras are very rare beasts, which is why air transport is not much developed.

I don't remember the exact wording of the book, but saying they are "very rare" is probably misleading. They are, however, population-controlled (as in, people are only permitted to own one.)
The execution on the back of this beast was reserved for an Octarch; executions would not commonly be performed in this manner, resorting to a much more common beheading with a poison-coated axe.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 18, 2008, 07:23:10 pm »
poison-coated axe.
All it takes for true death is poison?
Immaturity is FTW.

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 18, 2008, 08:36:41 pm »
Certain types of rare poisons. Will these ever be available to players? Not likely.

Prolix

« Reply #248 on: November 18, 2008, 09:15:58 pm »
Throw someone in lava or acid or strong alkali , I don't think they'll be back. By the way anyone seen any hardwood trees around? Don't lye now ;)
It might be easier than you think (*roleplay-wise)

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 19, 2008, 01:35:06 am »
Certain types of rare poisons. Will these ever be available to players? Not likely.
Not likely, although Farren once found a strange emerald dagger that was used by a Nolthir to...

For the sake of clarity, I'd find a new word to describe it other than poison.  Maybe create a new word?
Immaturity is FTW.

Ceraline

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 19, 2008, 03:29:18 am »
According to the settings the Lemurs were created by Laanx (in her image) which is re-iterated in world by the Song of the Lemur. However apparently contradicting this the Race description indicates their origins can be traced to humans albeit only if "we look at a very distant past" with their pigment being pale due to living in dark and subterranean places. The npcs, in game, seem to re-confirm this latter evolution view continuing "Lemurs evolved the way they have due to a past of living in deep subterranean villages."

According to my estimates the Lemur race is around 500 years old, a little over 100 years before the rest of the races appeared. Of the original race some stayed in Yliakum with Talad after the disfiguration (to comfort him and watch his new people), others followed Laanx to Kadaikos and stayed while some followed Laanx back out of Kadaikos around 100 years later. From the Song of the Lemur they sound far from being a subterranean race leaving only those who stayed in Kadaikos as being possibly subterranean, though these have been cut off from Ylaikum for some time now?

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 19, 2008, 04:36:11 am »
I thought Kadaikos was part of Yliakum?

Their definition of "evolution" is significant...
Immaturity is FTW.

Ceraline

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 19, 2008, 05:21:15 am »
According to the main site history Kadaikos was apparently built in a huge cave Laanx discovered after wandering the Stone Labyrinths. Occupying a third of the cave, or vault, was a huge stalactitite "that held Yliakum".

However I am aware that some of the main site settings are out of date so I stand to be corrected.

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 19, 2008, 11:30:26 am »
The points on the Lemur are known and being addressed. Lemur are in no way directly related to Humans.
Your estimates are off by a bit, though, as the Lemur race is exactly 750 years old.

Ceraline

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 19, 2008, 11:40:58 am »
Thanks UtM. I just realised my error - I overlooked the period "many generations of the Lemur had passed" that Laanx roamed the Stone Labyrinth before finding the great cave. Glad to hear the rest is already being addressed. I wont ask when... I can guess the answer  ;)