Author Topic: Request for wishlist forum  (Read 772 times)

Jeraphon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Request for wishlist forum
« on: August 29, 2007, 09:25:01 am »
I've noticed that there's a lot of people who write in their first five posts (usually their debut) some ridiculous and obvious wishlist request in clear violation of the wishlist rules. "Maps! Compass! More stuff!"

So I'm proposing some sort of "splash page" the first time you try to post in the wishlist. It has a checkbox saying "I have read the wishlist rules" with either a link, or the wishlist rules right there, and failure to comply with the rules after clicking the checkbox should result in a temporary suspension of posting privileges or something. Hopefully it will stem the tide of unhelpful requests.

miadon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Request for wishlist forum
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 09:56:37 am »
It doesn't matter how many signs there are or they could be flashing on and off with huge flashing red arrows pointing to the words with a booming voice saying what not to suggest... they will still suggest it.
- MiadonCam (Refresh page to see live in game Miadon Action!!)

Seneche

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 09:13:17 pm »
Actually, an easier way to do it, just have a pop up with lots of flashing lights, sounds, etc explaining the warning. Sure many won't listen, but there should be a consequence of some type. Or what about having all posts in the wish list section already containing the warning, and making the user manually delete it before posting. I have seen this a lot lately. This sort of "prefilled" form might work.

bilbous

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 11:57:43 pm »
That would annoy a lot of veterans, I think unless you made it the first x wishlist posts so those of us who hopefully know better are not affected. All the same you are going to get duplicate ideas from time to time regardless. 

Coneitic

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 06:10:17 am »
or maybe relax the rules.

There is no right or wrong.... only Trias.

~Conietic

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 09:12:50 am »
Relax the rules?
So we would have thousands of posts requesting the same obvious things all over again? And again, and again, and again?

I don't think so.
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

bilbous

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 09:43:27 am »
I would not suggest abandoning the rules myself but searching the forum is not much fun. Personally I tend to post things when I think of them and do not always check if they have been posted but I get a little annoyed if someone comes back with an 18 month old thread that hasn't been seen for the last 12 and says "duplicate." Well maybe it is a duplicate but maybe it would not hurt for a fresh look too. I realize this is not exactly what the original suggestion is about but it tends to get lumped in to the same kind of behavior.

If I have to delete some notice everytime I want to start a wish-list thread I'll just post it to general discussion and let it get moved, not exactly the intended consequence. If this restriction is applied generally to all the fora I will be a lot less inclined to contribute at all. In some cases this might be beneficial but in general I doubt it would be desirable.

Jeraphon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 10:18:05 am »
bilbous, if you noticed I mentioned "the first time you post" - not every time. :)

bilbous

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 10:56:12 am »
True enough, but Seneche went further which was what I was responding to, I suppose I could have directed my response more clearly.