Author Topic: Vegetarianism Within PS, Pros and Cons  (Read 3338 times)

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
Re: Vegetarianism Within PS, Pros and Cons
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2007, 05:52:53 pm »
We have the ability to forgo meat based on moral reasons. We can survive on a diet with or without it. Why should we say 'Oh look, animals do it so we should too.' Animals also throw feces at each other. We have escaped from the survival of the fittest. We have health schemes and the stock market. Fat unfit rich people can survive better than most healthy unemployed people. We have taken away 'natural' selection and created our own selective pressures.

We have the moral construct of murder and some of us build upon that and using the same premises decide not to eat meat. I really don't see why its so hard to see that happening in Yliakum.
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Farren Kutter

• Veteran
  • Death is only the beginning. Then true life begins
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2007, 06:23:16 pm »
Because Yliakum doesn't have Microsoft?

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2007, 10:34:55 am »
I can't tell if that was a joke or you just percieve Yliakum as being filled with savages.
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Raa

• Veteran
  • Halp meh...!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2007, 06:13:07 pm »
PlaneShift can have vegetarians. It can have carnivores. It can have omnivores. It can have mineral eaters. Why not? The characters have minds and brains; they can choose what's right and wrong to eat, based on their ethics.

Unnamed_Source

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2007, 01:35:42 am »
I have a character that's lactate intolerant, I hope that PS will provide sufficient food stuff so that he can go through a day with out stomach cramps and puking..

... and another that's diabetic, he cannot have any refined sugars, including carbohydrates from grains and alcohol. So I hope the Devs are on the ball and the dessert trays will have plenty of  sugar free pies and cakes.

And I have another character that's ... ... ...

Maybe I wasn't  all that clear in my last post on this subject. Cats aren't herbivores, they only eat grass when they want to puke. My question stands, are the Cat like characters in PS cats or humans with fur? ie Humans are omnivores and have a choice.

I think in the end result, all the races should have specific diets, So we don't see vegan cats/reptiles(winged) or Krans ingesting vegetable or animal matter. Though I would allow Krans to down a few pounds of sugar daily so it pee out rum to his dwarven friends. As for the rest, they are all human or human like to behave like us furless apes in the real world. Though one of them horned character types  have aversions to metals, so maybe no red meat or leafy greens cause of their high iron constent and other such minerals/metals.

Now I am not suggesting specific diets for each that the others can't eat but more like guide lines that restrict what each can eat from the bounty the harvest brings, hard coded of course.

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2007, 02:22:42 am »
Which you can.

I feel this thread is becoming less and less about Yliakum and our characters though. Instead it's turning into a vegetarians vs omnivores thread :P

:offtopic:
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

Farren Kutter

• Veteran
  • Death is only the beginning. Then true life begins
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2007, 05:44:49 am »
I never said it couldn't have vegetarians. I was pointing out my views on vegetarians and vegans in PS. On Earth I see it as perfectly acceptable. In PS I just pointed out that I saw it as something that would be much less common.

bilbous

« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2007, 08:27:12 am »
I kind of think that this sort of "projection" is a little out of context. How is playing a vegetarian diet really different from a player wanting to keep kosher of expecting halal preparation of their meat? True both of these strictures are religiously based but that is still a morality question. Similarly I think lactose intolerance or diabetes is unlikely. I believe these last to were examples of how this can go down the wrong track rather than supporting the basic idea. I could be wrong.
At any rate there is plenty of non-meat foodstuffs that you can avoid meat if you want. If you wish to proselytize your moral convictions in the context of the game you should probably expect in character ridicule. If you want to follow them and not try to convert society at large you should have no problems. You can also probably expect to meet some like-minded people.

Unnamed_Source

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2007, 09:17:28 am »
The settings dept has placed PS in a medieval period, on Earth during that period, you were lucky if you ate at all let alone have a choice in what to eat. Also earths medieval time there were only humans to contend with the dietary needs, PS has several species that do not fit the normal human structure.

That being said, RP what ever you please but don't force your RP against the settings, ie make a vegan cat/reptile or a kran that eats meat or a Dioboli?? that wears and uses metals(eats)

Along the lines of what I suggested, to make the races even more distinct, if and when food becomes a necessity in the GAME, to reinforce the separation and characteristices of each species, a hard coded diet for each should be implemented. Not one that makes special food for each but one that limits what can and cannot be eaten.

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2007, 09:30:39 am »
It says its medieval but look at its society. They have a complex political structure and scientists that seem to go way beyond that. Ylikum is a much more civalised society than medieval earth.

Draklar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2007, 10:13:09 am »
It says its medieval but look at its society. They have a complex political structure and scientists that seem to go way beyond that. Ylikum is a much more civalised society than medieval earth.
In fact, Yliakum is a world filled with 21st century minded people running around with swords.

Now I'm sure playing characters that don't differ from ourselves must be extremely interesting. Social concepts that define the modern ways of thinking surely enrich the game's environment. There's no doubt the game wouldn't be roleplaying enough if the characters showed any sign of simplified worldviews, one of defining elements of fantasy literature.
AKA Skald

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2007, 10:32:25 am »
On a little bit of a tangent, but along the same lines, I find it greatly amusing when folks will start spouting off in-character about their freedom of speech, or try to organize a trial by jury.

Have you folks read 'The Arena Book' in Jayose's? Or how about 'The Octarchal Decree of 425 AY'? Yliakum is FAR from "civilized".

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2007, 10:51:51 am »
We have public libraries and scientists that make huge elevators! We are therefore surely able to moralize and philosophically contemplate things. The law sets out what is illegal and tries to ensure that people can protect themselves from the creatures of the stone labyrinths. The arena is, well an arena. We watch people beat each other up today too. I would not say that Yliakum is equal to today in terms of thought but it is alot more enlightened than atypical medieval times.

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2007, 11:11:49 am »
A trial by jury existed in the middle ages ... only the jury would usually be made up of the most powerful nobles. Give people a nice false sense of justice. :P

Try copying that corrupt law system in the game though and everyone will jump up and cry "Injustice!". The average player is far more informed and used to a lot of freedom than your average medieval farmer.
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

One and only tanner

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • The internet makes you stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2007, 11:20:54 am »
my char is not a vegetarian but she refusies to eat fish being that she is just about part fish her self...

if you happen to walk past a lake full of fish you know thats my days savings from the glads, but even when i but them back in there home they dont want to move :(