Author Topic: What's going on here?  (Read 2189 times)

Ver

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
What's going on here?
« on: October 14, 2007, 06:38:14 pm »
I haven't tried v0.3.20 yet (I don't want to redownload everything, so I am waiting for the files to be loaded into the updater). The consensus seems to be that this version added lots of great new features, but also added many bugs.

Lots of crashes. Pretty grass that absolutely murders the framerate. Some people can't get it running. Mining isn't working out? GUI clunkiness? Even people with high-end computers are getting unbelievable lag in Hydlaa?

What's going on here? Maybe it's time for version 0.3.20b (first stable release)?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 06:40:42 pm by Ver »

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on here?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 06:43:17 pm »
It's always like this after a new release. Welcome to Planeshift.
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 06:48:40 pm »
Actually, this is a pretty stable release. The server hasn't dropped from a crash all night.

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 07:20:46 pm »
I know, it's relatively bug-free compared to older releases. But there's always a caveat like now with the decreased performance. The strange thing is that after some fiddling with options, my client is now super-fast. I will investigate.
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

svuun

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 09:02:26 pm »
I know, it's relatively bug-free compared to older releases. But there's always a caveat like now with the decreased performance. The strange thing is that after some fiddling with options, my client is now super-fast. I will investigate.

could you share with us your tweaks with some explanations?  that would be of great help.  and i concur, this has been an incredibly stable release and am very impressed. this is the longest i've seen the npc client up in months.

Velh Krome

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 09:08:50 pm »
i agree, the server proves some decent stability, indeed impressive!

yet still.. a good friend of mine has severe issues with brightness, and all the stuff was tried: drivers, adjusting via hard- and software concerning brightness, contrast and gamma.
still its too dark, covered by serious lag-problems, so i ponder if it could be connected with a hard time for the machine, i.e. performance.

whats it with the grass? any chance to turn it off client sided?
and yes, i second Svuuns request: TomPhoenix, any hint on what did you fiddle?

with kind (yet concerned) regards

Ver

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 09:25:26 pm »
I can only imagine that Planeshift will always be at least a little bit buggy -- that's the tradeoff to be made when a 3D game (especially an online one) is as wholly multiplatform as Planeshift.

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 03:20:27 am »
I also find this release to be a lot more stable than the previous ones and still with so many nice additions.

But yeah, the Devs choose to throw new implementations at the larger public for testing instead of thouroughly testing it internally (some internal testing is still done I think) so you're going to experience problems. Then as a good tester you report those problems and patiently wait until they are fixed in the future. :P
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 05:07:51 am »
I also find this release to be a lot more stable than the previous ones and still with so many nice additions.

But yeah, the Devs choose to throw new implementations at the larger public for testing instead of thouroughly testing it internally (some internal testing is still done I think) so you're going to experience problems. Then as a good tester you report those problems and patiently wait until they are fixed in the future. :P

there is not just some interneral testing done there are tons of internal testing. There is a whole team that all they do is test bugs and look for bugs and work on the bug tracker. Thanks to these guys you have very few bugs ingame and what is left are bugs that we did not find or could not test till the release happened or just happen on laanx. Some of us have spent 4 or more hours a day running tests on bugs searching for any and all bugs that could be annoying or really buggy to get the devs to fix before the release even happened.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 05:31:08 am by Caarrie »

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 06:11:47 am »
I'm sorry .. definitely didn't mean to downgrade the work you guys put in this game. I know there is a team of testers who work very hard on catching every possible bug and I'm glad of it.

All I wanted to say is that Planeshift handles things differently than your average game. Other games are created, tested and beta-tested before they're made public. PS is constantly being created and tested while being open to the public.
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

acraig

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 06:05:07 pm »
Just a note to say thanks to the bug tracking team.   Having them verify fixes has greatly increased the quality of how bugs are fixed and I know on numerous times they've come back and said "You've only fixed part of that bug, here's what is missing...".  This is the first version that the bug team has really started to work on so I am sure that the entire process will improve and PlaneShift will be better overall because of it.
----------
Andrew
"For all I know, she's lying, everyone's lying; welcome to the Internet"

Ver

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 06:40:03 pm »
I do think that the new grass should be removed at least for a little while ... far too many people seem to have had their share of technical problems with it and it doesn't even look very good (try panning the camera up to see what I'm talking about).

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 06:40:29 pm »
Just a note to say thanks to the bug tracking team.   Having them verify fixes has greatly increased the quality of how bugs are fixed and I know on numerous times they've come back and said "You've only fixed part of that bug, here's what is missing...".  This is the first version that the bug team has really started to work on so I am sure that the entire process will improve and PlaneShift will be better overall because of it.

Thanks Acraig for your comment, I think myself and rest of the testing team appreciates the comment as well. I think we also enjoy working with the devs on the game. If you guys as players wish to search though the closed bugs you see how many times we have come back to the devs and said sorry this bug is not fully fixed and the devs do go back and fix the bugs, as you guys can see this has lead to a more stable server and a faster release then some in the past.

I do think that the new grass should be removed at least for a little while ... far too many people seem to have had their share of technical problems with it and it doesn't even look very good (try panning the camera up to see what I'm talking about).

unless you manually edit the files there is no way to just disable grass. maybe in the future it will be possible but not at this time.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 06:54:41 pm by Caarrie »

bilbous

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 11:48:46 pm »
I have always wondered at the grass as it seems around Harnie it would generally be trampled down  and similarly elsewhere there is lots of traffic.